WE Gas Blow Back M4A1 Carbine

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres my latest custom job, a WE GBBR version of a Colt Slab Sides Carbine. If anyone knows a pla ce that could machine me a proper outer barrel, I would like to get in contact with them and have a pr

Heres my custom WE M733. I have a modified RS Bushmaster upper receiver as well as RS buffer tube, castle nut, stock, stock plate, pistol grip, front grips, front sight, and some various other small b

Hehehe, Im with you Hwagan. I dumped my LM4 like a bad habit a few months ago and switched back to the WE platform. Used the extra money to get myself a trademarked M16, slapped a RS A2 upper receiver

Posted Images

On a side note, I managed to shim mine with a small spring I found as I didn't have any AEG shims on hand. The spring was just wide enough to squeeze over the bolt catch pin, and sit on one side of the bolt catch- it took engaging it a few dozen times to work in, but there's almost zero play now.
On another side note, the Tactical Link BAL works fairly nicely. There was a lot of play before shimming, and I had to sand mine slightly (because of the VLTOR upper, I assume it'll work fine on a regular thanks to the shape), but it's awesome.

551366_4358408852811_1464093263_n.jpg

So, I took my gun apart and put it back together, and started having the 'bolt doesn't lock back' problem. It locked back just fine when racking it manually, just not when shooting.

The problem was remedied by using an armorer's wrench and unscrewing the buffer tube a turn or two, bolt locks positively every time now. 

So, ironically enough after posting all that, I took it out for some plinking and it failed in every way imaginable.

483452_4372546006231_537039115_n.jpg

Biggest thing is there's a chunk missing from the bolt carrier. Then, when disassembling, my homemade shim came out and was lost, so the bolt catch was back to not working at all.

It now jams, lobs shots, misfeeds and all that good stuff. To top it off, the bolt catch doesn't work.

Relatively sure the NPAS is wonked, as well, but who knows?

To top it off, the receiver lapping tool doesn't fit with the VIS upper.
I'm thinking of scrapping this upper and keeping it secondary, and building a new one. Anyone have some uppers they want to get rid of? Complete is nice. Bonus points if it already has a Spike Tactical 9" SBR rail for some strange reason or other.

Edited by PreacherMan

Just ordered a new bolt- the RA Tech steel one seems so finicky. So much work needs to be done to get them to run reliably... I dunno. A local replacement bolt carrier was $25, so just grabbed that.
Thinking of selling/trading this VIS upper if anyone has one, I'd like to make a Spike Tactical SBR but this VIS is one piece.

Found out why it broke. I'm an idiot.

Disregard my messaged about turning the buffer tube back a bit. That's what killed it, it was going back too far and that part was smashing against the disconnector. On stock WE M4s it shouldn't do that at all.

In the meantime, my bolt catch is back to 'not working when firing, but working when racked manually'. I ordered some actual shims to see if it'll work, if that doesn't I'll JB weld something to the bottom of the magazine catch. I think it's the added weight from the BAL lever.

Hi guys after a bit of advise. Been offered a closed bolt M4 as a trade. It is said to be fully working but with leaking mags. The price seems fair but i'm just wondering on the cost involved to convert these to the newr open bolt spec, or do the closed ones function better?

The open bolt system is far superior to the closed bolt system in my opinion, and the Hop-up design (which uses VSR-10 type rubbers) beats the closed bolt design hands down. As to converting from CB to OB, i've done a few of them, and it's cheapest to get the kits from KIC or BBDragon (as long as you request regular Airmail, not EMS)

With the magazines, check whether they are Gen 1 or Gen 2. The Gen 1 is a terrible design that always ends up leaking from the backplate on the gas reservoir, the Gen 2 is far, far better. If you convert from CB to OB you'll need to change the gas route and feed lips as well (sold as a set for about $7 if you shop overseas). If the seller says he doesnt know the difference between the two, get him to remove the baseplate and take pics of the base of the magazines. Gen 2 has a large Philips screw in the middle of the reservoir, the Gen 1 doesnt.

Could you recomend anyone in the UK that could do the work for me, either a business or better still a home tech. I would probably source parts from overseas as suggested. Roughly how much am I looking at for the parts excluding mags?

I will probably play with it as is for awhile, a few hours in afternoon at  games to see how I like GBBR's then get the work done at a later date. Probably ultimately decking it out with all the magpul/troy toys.

Could you recomend anyone in the UK that could do the work for me, either a business or better still a home tech. I would probably source parts from overseas as suggested. Roughly how much am I looking at for the parts excluding mags?

I will probably play with it as is for awhile, a few hours in afternoon at  games to see how I like GBBR's then get the work done at a later date. Probably ultimately decking it out with all the magpul/troy toys.

If you don't have the time Al or are unsure try contacting Iain from www.milspecsolutions.co.uk & i'm sure he would be happy to help out. He's a WE dealer & lurves his gas blow backs. Top bloke & very helpful.

• Like 1

So, my gun stopped working in the cold entirely- would lob shots about 10m tops. Turns out it wasn't the nozzle, but REAPS MG2- in cold weather there wasn't enough gas pressure to shoot the BB past the bucking at all, and the other BB being chambered was actually what was propelling the round (so if there were no more bbs in the mag, the last round would stay in the chamber). Guess it's time to change to an MG1.

• 2 weeks later...

So, my gun stopped working in the cold entirely- would lob shots about 10m tops. Turns out it wasn't the nozzle, but REAPS MG2- in cold weather there wasn't enough gas pressure to shoot the BB past the bucking at all, and the other BB being chambered was actually what was propelling the round (so if there were no more bbs in the mag, the last round would stay in the chamber). Guess it's time to change to an MG1.

Its definitely to do with the design of REAPs (gen2), I had mine on once and the same thing happened. I believe the problem is that the bucking doesnt have this tab thats supposed to sit on the chamber so it doesnt stay properly. Just stay away from them and u will be fine (I recommend using Ra-tech Hops, works great and i put them in all my WE GBBR)

I just put in a RA Tech hop combined with an Angry Gun barrel, and it seems it's now lobbing one out of two shots :(

I'll get sixty meters out of one shot, and then forty out of the next. Sixty, forty, sixty, forty, etc. I don't think it's the nozzle and it's not the magazine- switched nozzles entirely with the same result. Only thing that's changed was the barrel (Angry Gun tightbore) and hop up.

EDIT- Update
I switched back to a stock barrel, and the range and accuracy is amazing. It wasn't the bucking, it was the Angry Gun tightbore- which is strange.

Edited by PreacherMan