WE Gas Blow Back M4A1 Carbine

FINALLY!!! I'm tired of people here doing completely unscientific tests. *I can hit a coconut real far aways*

And yet another exploding magazine? Is this happening more and more frequently or are people just reporting their incidents as they gain confidence in numbers?

USA -1

UK -1

Thailand -1

Philippines -1

How the hell did one explode in the UK? It's been warm but hardly hot.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres my latest custom job, a WE GBBR version of a Colt Slab Sides Carbine. If anyone knows a pla ce that could machine me a proper outer barrel, I would like to get in contact with them and have a pr

Heres my custom WE M733. I have a modified RS Bushmaster upper receiver as well as RS buffer tube, castle nut, stock, stock plate, pistol grip, front grips, front sight, and some various other small b

Hehehe, Im with you Hwagan. I dumped my LM4 like a bad habit a few months ago and switched back to the WE platform. Used the extra money to get myself a trademarked M16, slapped a RS A2 upper receiver

Posted Images

FINALLY!!! I'm tired of people here doing completely unscientific tests. *I can hit a coconut real far aways*

And yet another exploding magazine? Is this happening more and more frequently or are people just reporting their incidents as they gain confidence in numbers?

USA -1

UK -1

Thailand -1

Philippines -1

Renegadecow, I recieved your hop up rubbers. Thank you very much! I have high hopes for them. I have a major 3-day OP coming up this weekend. I'll be switching between the new chrome hop-up barrel and yours, to determine performance of both units. Thanks again for the sample. I'll report back (with temps, bb weight/brand and etc.) as soon as I'm done.

P.S. I'll be playing in triple digit weather. I'll have 10 mags strapped to me...soooo...if you guys don't hear back from me....l

Edited by redline
How the hell did one explode in the UK? It's been warm but hardly hot.

That's my concern. I left 4 fully gassed mags on the sofa while I sorted out some e-mails. The sun must crossed the sofa. About half hour later I heard a very loud explosion and saw metal bits flying and taking chucks out of my ceiling.

It was a warm day at over 16 celcius- with the sun warming the mags up they must have gone up to about 30 celcius max.

Despite this, I have bought a replacement Mag and intend to buy another WE M4 and a SCAR since I think the WE M4 GBB is the best Airsoft weapon around.

I hope the mag quality improves.

Edited by bbstriker
Redline what OP are you attending this weekend? Is it Lion Claws 8? If so I will be working staff at this years event. I will be working crono and registration. If it is LC you are going to look for me.

Yup! That's the one! You part of TSOG? I'm in Scott Ingalls (bprd) crew.

Yup! That's the one! You part of TSOG? I'm in Scott Ingalls (bprd) crew.
Sweet! I will be helping out on Friday. I will be playing NFOR, I'm a member of the Roughnecks Airsoft Detachment. Looks like we will be the only ones rollin the WE's. PM me and we will get together at camp maybe have a beer.
Sweet! I will be helping out on Friday. I will be playing NFOR, I'm a member of the Roughnecks Airsoft Detachment. Looks like we will be the only ones rollin the WE's. PM me and we will get together at camp maybe have a beer.

Sounds good! I'm showin up early Friday morning. PM sent!

That bar with the special name "The crusty wh***" still part of LC?

I doubt you'll be the only ones rolling GBBRs or WEs

A few of my team mates are running with G&P GBBs...so, yeah, I don't think we're the only ones. Although I was the only one with a GBB rifle at the last OPNH. Damn thing couldn't shoot straight. <_<

That bar with the special name "The crusty wh***" still part of LC?

I doubt you'll be the only ones rolling GBBRs or WEs

Yeah I don't remember me saying anything about being the only GBBR's out there but I'm pretty sure we would be the only WE's out there........due to the fact that only a few of us have figured out how to get the AWSS's shooting under 400FPS. Ahh but who knows I might be wrong it wouldn't be the first time LOL.. What do you mean by the "The crusty ######?" there has to be something great behind that.
30 celcius max.

Must have peaked higher than that since its 28 here and thats in the shade. None-the-less everyone should avoid leaving fully gassed mags in the sun for long. I'm in the market for a decent bandoleer for my mags and quite frankly I'm highly considering putting some sort of insulation in the mag pouches before I use it.

What we are seeing here IMHO is metal fatigue. Any stressed structural member including pressurised metal vessels are subjected to cyclic loads, you gas up you mags, discharge your gun and gas up again. The magazines will experience stresses well below its ultimate strength but due to the cycling effect this will weaken the metalic structure to the the point of rupture. I am not saying that all mags will explode manufacturing tolerances also come into play here if for some reason some magazines were made thinner than the required wall thickness the effect of fatigue failure will happen alot earlier.

Unfortunately my magazines have varying wall thicknesses, I have some with a thin walled mag with few internal stiffeners while some have additional stiffeners and a thicker wall thickness. I do hope WE has discovered this and my thicker walled/more stiffened mag is the corrective action they made.

Ehm, am I the only one who's really concered about this?

Seriously, if you're just plinking and a mag blows up you can loose an eye or both.

This is the worst frickin issue this thing has.

If I'd get injured by a fruited up mag I'd sue the heck out of WE and Wetti.

And keep in mind, those are 3 recorded cases at arnies. By far not worldwide.

Edited by somegirls
What do you mean by the "The crusty ######?" there has to be something great behind that.

At LC6 we had a Bar/tent which was called "The crusty wh***(prostitute ;) )" The name was so bizarre and awesome at the same time, I thought it had a tradition. it was run by a couple of the ex-Afsoc guys, I think.

About the mags blowing up... These mags have a much larger gas tank than old school gas pistol mags. Might be interesting if this is a general issue with a GBBR mags or just WEs. Also, what gas were they playing with? Could be a good idea to use something less than green gas, especially in temperatures passing 90F/30C. Abbey ultra, or even 134a, for example. Don't know if Abbey Gas is available Stateside.

Im with julietcharlie here, metal fatigue stacked with heat expansion cant be good for what looks like (from the pitures i have seen) fairly coarse pot metal casting. perhaps this lesser build strength/quality is what attributes to the significant weight differences between WE ad WA/GP mags.

Well I think the bottom line is the WE must ensure that a fully (propane) gassed up mag can be left in direct sunshine and not explode at anything less than 70 Celcius. This assumes an extreme 50 Celcius shade temp and then sunshine factor which is usually +20 Celcius. If this means a more expensive mag, then so be it. Safety is ultimately the most important factor.

I dread to think what would have happened if my 20 month old toddler was wandering around in my study when my mag exploded.

Edited by bbstriker
Ehm, am I the only one who's really concered about this?

Seriously, if you're just plinking and a mag blows up you can loose an eye or both.

This is the worst frickin issue this thing has.

If I'd get injured by a fruited up mag I'd sue the heck out of WE and Wetti.

And keep in mind, those are 3 recorded cases at arnies. By far not worldwide.

Unlikely to happen in the gun as the mag will be cooling down as you use it. As to the UK one, as it was in direct sunlight and indoors it's not surprising that something happened.

Why do you think anything pressurised (including deodorant) has the warning "keep out of direct sunlight" The surface temperature of the mag was probably higher than 30C. Something could be said for sensible usage and storage. As to the guy saying about it exploding near a baby.. Why would you keep stuff like that near a youngling?

Edited by LordElpus
Unlikely to happen in the gun as the mag will be cooling down as you use it. As to the UK one, as it was in direct sunlight and indoors it's not surprising that something happened.

Why do you think anything pressurised (including deodorant) has the warning "keep out of direct sunlight" The surface temperature of the mag was probably higher than 30C. Something could be said for sensible usage and storage. As to the guy saying about it exploding near a baby.. Why would you keep stuff like that near a youngling?

Well you should be surpised. GBB mags are meant to be skirmishable in daylight/sunlight. Green gas cylinders are not meant to be skirmished and naturally should not be exposed to sunlight. Deodorant cans are not meant for skirmishing either. Now skirmishing means rough usage in all weathers including intense sunshine. I can guarantee you that if I was skirmishing in the middle east in the middle of summer, these WE M4 mags would be at much higher temp than that attained in my study on a relatively cool day. Just taking a 10 minute break in middle eastern type temperatures would certainly heat up the mags to a temp way beyond what my mag got to. The other 3 mags on my sofa where at the same temp and they did not explode.

All Airsoft GBB mags are supposed to be exposed to sunlight or should we tactically keep in the shade????? If you're talking about green gas cylinders then of course you keep them out of sunlight- they're not designed to be skirmished.

If I'm lying up in an OP with the sun shining directly on my mags, I don't want to worry about oops I've exposed my mag to the sun- umm how long has my mag been exposed? Is it about to explode? Perhaps I should take a thermometer out with me? That would be just plain silly.

Anyone ever hear of a pistol GBB mag exploding? I've come across fully gassed pistol mags that have been lying exposed to the sun all day in the middle of summer and they don't explode.

ALL GBB mags must be built to withstand direct sunlight for any period of time just like domestic propane cylinders. I used to live in the arabian gulf where it gets up to 50 celcius. Propane cylinders will not explode in that heat in direct sunlight. Why? because they are designed to be field deployed and not just in the shade.

There is safety issue here connected with quality that needs immediate addressing by WE.

There is safety issue here connected with quality that needs immediate addressing by WE.

I have previously wondered about the quality of the pot metal used for the standard gas mags as it does damage very easily. I would really like to see an official response from WETTI as I now feel this is a very real safety concern. Has this problem been acknowledged? Are the CO2 mags made using the same material? Has the spec already been changed on the gas mags? Is this a known fault with a particular batch? Etc.

One of my ops last year saw six sections waiting in bright sunshine under a clear blue sky for the helis to arrive and it was damn hot. It's standard practice to remove everything including sweet wrappers from pockets to avoid the risk of a rotor impact. Rifles are carried with mags in and muzzles down and without doors on the heli the mag could continue to sit in direct sunlight during the flight. I don't fancy my chances if the mag explodes at that point, at the very least it will guarantee we never get to use the helis again.

Edited by Marky [UE]
Well you should be surpised. GBB mags are meant to be skirmishable in daylight/sunlight. Green gas cylinders are not meant to be skirmished and naturally should not be exposed to sunlight. Deodorant cans are not meant for skirmishing either. Now skirmishing means rough usage in all weathers including intense sunshine. I can guarantee you that if I was skirmishing in the middle east in the middle of summer, these WE M4 mags would be at much higher temp than that attained in my study on a relatively cool day. Just taking a 10 minute break in middle eastern type temperatures would certainly heat up the mags to a temp way beyond what my mag got to. The other 3 mags on my sofa where at the same temp and they did not explode.

All Airsoft GBB mags are supposed to be exposed to sunlight or should we tactically keep in the shade????? If you're talking about green gas cylinders then of course you keep them out of sunlight- they're not designed to be skirmished.

If I'm lying up in an OP with the sun shining directly on my mags, I don't want to worry about oops I've exposed my mag to the sun- umm how long has my mag been exposed? Is it about to explode? Perhaps I should take a thermometer out with me? That would be just plain silly.

Anyone ever hear of a pistol GBB mag exploding? I've come across fully gassed pistol mags that have been lying exposed to the sun all day in the middle of summer and they don't explode.

ALL GBB mags must be built to withstand direct sunlight for any period of time just like domestic propane cylinders. I used to live in the arabian gulf where it gets up to 50 celcius. Propane cylinders will not explode in that heat in direct sunlight. Why? because they are designed to be field deployed and not just in the shade.

Yup. Propane cylinders have safety release valve, that lets propane bleed out if pressure gets too high. Smart idea IMO.