WE Gas Blow Back M4A1 Carbine

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres my latest custom job, a WE GBBR version of a Colt Slab Sides Carbine. If anyone knows a pla ce that could machine me a proper outer barrel, I would like to get in contact with them and have a pr

Heres my custom WE M733. I have a modified RS Bushmaster upper receiver as well as RS buffer tube, castle nut, stock, stock plate, pistol grip, front grips, front sight, and some various other small b

Hehehe, Im with you Hwagan. I dumped my LM4 like a bad habit a few months ago and switched back to the WE platform. Used the extra money to get myself a trademarked M16, slapped a RS A2 upper receiver

Posted Images

AccuWedge is worthless in real guns and about the same in a WE ;)

Well, I'll take your word for it in a real gun, but it honestly did stop the wobble in my WE. For how long, I have no idea. But, we'll see. It was only $5 US, so no big deal.

And Daniel, you're talking about the RA-Tech pin, right?

Ok guys got a WE M4 to look at for a mate it has a range of symptoms. Its had an open bolt kit fitted and sometimes it will full auto on semi and sometimes the bolt will jam when being cycled with the charging handle.

Two polar opposite problems it would seem. Any ideas guys?

Cheers

I was at my local "swap meet" bought a single VN mag to try it out...

HOLY ######, it's so much better

no wonder people were demanding for new version of Open Bolt M4 mags.

The cool-down effect were so much more tamed.

If there's MOLLE pouch for Short M16 mag I would switch to the 20 rounder instead.

Ok guys got a WE M4 to look at for a mate it has a range of symptoms. Its had an open bolt kit fitted and sometimes it will full auto on semi and sometimes the bolt will jam when being cycled with the charging handle.

Two polar opposite problems it would seem. Any ideas guys?

Cheers

First look at the spring pin holding the buffer spring, is it high? is the bolt *fruitcage* it up? how is the bolt looking where it interfaces with this pin?

Screw the pin down, and smooth out the bolt with a small file, you may need to "ramp" the bolt were it hits the pin.

That should fix the jamming, see if that makes the other problems go away as well.

I've run into a bit of weird problem with one of my CO2 mags for my M4.

The last few games one of the magasines have been a bit hard to get out of the magwell but for some reason it's now even harder to get in...actually have to slam it a few times to get it in there and it's almost impossible to get out again.

I've compared it to my other mags and it dosn't seem like theres any difference physically but can't figure out what else it might be...anyone had a problem like this?

I was at my local "swap meet" bought a single VN mag to try it out...

HOLY ######, it's so much better

no wonder people were demanding for new version of Open Bolt M4 mags.

The cool-down effect were so much more tamed.

If there's MOLLE pouch for Short M16 mag I would switch to the 20 rounder instead.

Hi there, in terms of Blowback, recoil and cycling, How do you felt the 20 rounder compared to the old 30 rounder? I'm curios about the new valves being used by the newer one...Thanks

There's no difference in terms of blowback/recoil/cycling, the VN mags do behave better in terms of showing cooldown though and even when completely frozen they still function without spilling all the gas they have. The downsides are gas capacity and they will get too cold if you reload them more than 2/3 times.

Regarding the pouches i just use regular pouches and stuff something in the bottom to make some height.

Edited by danielsilva

I've run into a bit of weird problem with one of my CO2 mags for my M4.

The last few games one of the magasines have been a bit hard to get out of the magwell but for some reason it's now even harder to get in...actually have to slam it a few times to get it in there and it's almost impossible to get out again.

I've compared it to my other mags and it dosn't seem like theres any difference physically but can't figure out what else it might be...anyone had a problem like this?

If you separate the upper/lower receivers, does that magazine fit normally into the lower receiver okay? No issues inserting/releasing it?

Edited by ODA15

Well what I meant to say was that the mag can't get in far enough for the upper reciever to be a problem, it'll only go in up til the notch for the mag catch, so just a few centimeters.

Well, at least you know that the issue is now not the top plastic part of the magazine that touches the nozzle, but the body itself. I'd do what danielsilva suggested and try to mark (with chalk, graphite, etc) the body of the magazine (approximately the top 1/3 or so) and then insert it into the lower receiver. This it'll let you know where exactly it's rubbing/catching.

It could be that the magazine has just expanded for some reason. It wouldn't take much to make the magazine not fit, either. Just a couple of millimeters worth of expansion.

Edited by ODA15

Question what is the lowest temperature you guys game with your Open-Chamber M4?

is the co2 worth the trouble? (heard a lot of complaint on leaky co2) or is it simply better just run 20 rounder (seems to me 20 rounder can work at lower temperature than the gas 30 rounder)

Price wise...(Using RA-tech since they have the lowest price I've seen)

Open Chamber CO2 30 rounder $44USD/mag

Open Chamber Gas 30 rounder $32USD/mag

Open Chamber Gas 20 rounder $30USD/mag

Anyone have all three can give some insight?

I'm considering gaming with my GBBR in this late season (temperature is around -5C to 5C in Edmonton right now)

From my own experience, I wouldn't want to use the shell-base mag in cold due to the fact it will spill liquid way too easily.

Debating between CO2 30 rounder (suck up to $0.50/ 12g) and buy an extra set of 20 rounder and use propylene in winter (obviously it won't work -20C, but -10C might be possible)

Edited by kullwarrior

I would say that if you're a conservative player using co2 might be beneficial but if you play use other very short and spaced bursts, imho its not worth it.

Last year or so I went to a game in the Czech Republic and took my CB WE M4 with me, since it was cold there ( -5 at one point ) I tried to use my co2 mags but after a few hours I had to switch to propane cause the low temps and high humidity kept freezing everything, at one point I had to hammer down the carrier forward since the water froze from the co2 and the carrier got stuck.

The co2 mags are more maintenance free but if you live in a cold and wet area, the co2 might create more problems than fix things. I sold all my co2 mags and bought VN mags instead.

Edited by danielsilva
  • 2 weeks later...

OK chaps had a look at the M4 with full auto problems.

I screwed down the buffer retainer was way far out and the manual cycling is much better and semi works most of the time.

Now its running open bolt Co2 and the kick is um lame. Also the gas efficency is horrific. Now the bolt how do I take it to bits? I've checked anf the nozzle moves and returns fine on its spring so that's ok but I'd like to poke about inside the nozzle the other brands nozzles KJW & WA come to bits does this one??

Cheers

Update the sear part #48 was bent out of shape from incorrectly fitting an Ambi Selector the leg that runs to the selector was bent at almost 90 degrees. I reshaped it and the semi function is now ok.

However two new things (maybe not new I just didnt notice till testing) the selector can go safe/semi/auto even when not cocked, its a new trigger box that was fitted when the open bolt was done so I've rulled out wear and it doesnt fire on safe so I don't think its a cracked trigger. Is it possibly the ambi selector is out of spec since its aftermarket?

Second thing it vented when I tried auto and I have no more Co2 at the moment, so not sure if it was just a fluke.