WE Gas Blow Back M4A1 Carbine

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres my latest custom job, a WE GBBR version of a Colt Slab Sides Carbine. If anyone knows a pla ce that could machine me a proper outer barrel, I would like to get in contact with them and have a pr

Heres my custom WE M733. I have a modified RS Bushmaster upper receiver as well as RS buffer tube, castle nut, stock, stock plate, pistol grip, front grips, front sight, and some various other small b

Hehehe, Im with you Hwagan. I dumped my LM4 like a bad habit a few months ago and switched back to the WE platform. Used the extra money to get myself a trademarked M16, slapped a RS A2 upper receiver

Posted Images

I dont take offense. ;)

But you really need to take things apart like the others have (like 4boost - he definitely gets it and has apparently taken the innards apart), before you can comment or contribute. Otherwise you dont know exactly what we are describing or talking about.

Youre confusing nozzles with valve assemblies - and alignment issues of the cylinder with alignment issues of the black tube/valve assembly. - on and on.

I really cant reply to your post any further because your comments show you simply dont understand yet how this system works.

Why dont you take things apart first - it should be clear once you do.

I have taken it apart, and I really don't see much room for confusion, and also I'm pretty certain I know how the system works. Let's not get hasty and assume ignorance here... in that regard I might take issue. I might say that in fact you don't quite understand the system, but that would lead the discussion to degenerate into insults.

First thing's first then. We can refer to the exploded diagram. What I'm describing as the nozzle is the entire assembly of parts from numbers 40 through 46, which is attached to the end of the thin rod #39. This is the assembly which takes in some of the gas to expell the bb and the rest of the gas goes into the back majority of the brass chamber #112 which #122 is sealing to allow the blowback action to occur.

What are you referring to when you say "nozzle" and "valve?"

I guess it depends on the plastic but usually when plastic gets cold it gets brittle. No fun there.

I have to take apart my lower receiver because the firing pin isn't resetting when the hammer locks back. I never had this problem before so I'm interested to see why all of a sudden this is happening. I have a feeling that the nub on the hammer that lifts the disconnector is wearing away. If this is the case, I'd like to see a steel aftermarket hammer.

Boost

Did you figure out what the issue was? Is it metal wearing away?

Also on the plastic issue, yeah, for sure. I had the Hudson GBB, "Grease Gun". Plastic bolt broke in less than two weeks. It now hangs on the wall.

I pulled the trigger pack last night. I haven't taken the hammer out yet but from what I can see, the little nub that lifts part #66 looks fine. Maybe very slight wear. When I get time, I'm going to fabricate another #66 to see if I can get it to work better. I'd rather not file out the firing pin. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Hi Chris!

You can buy krytox in either grease or oil form.

I use oil but grease may work even better on the op-rod.

You can buy 2 oz tubes of Krytox on eBay for about $20-30.00.

You will use it for everything. I have been using the grease in AEG gearboxes for years.

And the oil really did solve the issue of the WE locking up on full auto - no more venting. I have oiled the rod a couple times and it moves freely even when it is cold enough that there is frost on the black tube!!

Thanks. That's a bit more expensive than I was expecting, but after some research this stuff seems to be a bit more specialty than I though. I might have to ask some one I know if he can get a hold of some for me.

MP5's would be cool, but the mags may be to small for the same "gas in mag systems" as the WE or WA.

I was thinking that too, but (even though not a great example) Maruzen managed to pull it off. If you only need to get off 35 rounds per mag it should be fine, considering that the MP5 bolt should only have to move a fraction of an M4's.

He seems to keep up the good work.

+1

just ordered 2 mags (with the free bolt stop).. fast mail answers, nice and helpfull!

About how long did it take for it to get to you after you sent payment? I haven't heard from AB yet, so I'm hoping he just sent the stuff out...

Also, tried using a #83 common o-ring to replace the original. I've not been using the WE M4 as much, but I notice no difference in performance than the original.

Edited by Chris North
I pulled the trigger pack last night. I haven't taken the hammer out yet but from what I can see, the little nub that lifts part #66 looks fine. Maybe very slight wear. When I get time, I'm going to fabricate another #66 to see if I can get it to work better. I'd rather not file out the firing pin. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Please do Boost.

There's a ton of aftermarket parts waiting to be made. Im hoping that there's a shift of aftermarket attention from the Western Arms, to the WE. God knows they are selling more of these than the Western Arms.

Boost, I also have a flat o-ring coming in to replace the round one at the end of the black tube. Im hoping it helps the tube sit straighter at all times. (compresses more evenly)

Boost? What do you think about using blue locktite on the screw that holds the black tube to the bolt carrier? As I mentioned earlier, mine loosens constantly.

I mean, we use blue locktite on AEG piston heads to keep them from coming apart. So it seems like the right thing.

About how long did it take for it to get to you after you sent payment? I haven't heard from AB yet, so I'm hoping he just sent the stuff out...

I transfered the money on jan 10th (sat), the package left HK yesterday,.. so off course its not here yet, but I expect it to arrive tomorrow or on friday..

tracking says its already here and being processed.

:)

Please do Boost.

There's a ton of aftermarket parts waiting to be made. Im hoping that there's a shift of aftermarket attention from the Western Arms, to the WE. God knows they are selling more of these than the Western Arms.

Boost, I also have a flat o-ring coming in to replace the round one at the end of the black tube. Im hoping it helps the tube sit straighter at all times. (compresses more evenly)

Boost? What do you think about using blue locktite on the screw that holds the black tube to the bolt carrier? As I mentioned earlier, mine loosens constantly.

I mean, we use blue locktite on AEG piston heads to keep them from coming apart. So it seems like the right thing.

I have some Loctite 243 around here somewhere. That's probably what I'll use. You don't want it to be a permanent thread lock as you'll more than likely need to take apart that assembly again.

I have some Loctite 243 around here somewhere. That's probably what I'll use. You don't want it to be a permanent thread lock as you'll more than likely need to take apart that assembly again.

LOL, you're not kidding. Mine has been apart at least 30 times, that why I havent used locktite yet. Once I settle on a new #122 option, Ill do it.

I transfered the money on jan 10th (sat), the package left HK yesterday,.. so off course its not here yet, but I expect it to arrive tomorrow or on friday..

tracking says its already here and being processed.

:)

Huh, I hope it'll be here soon. I sent payment on the 7th, so I'm hoping AB just forgot to send tracking. If it's not here by the end of the week I'm going to email him.

Huh, I hope it'll be here soon. I sent payment on the 7th, so I'm hoping AB just forgot to send tracking. If it's not here by the end of the week I'm going to email him.

I paid saturday (3rd Jan). William sent the package on monday (5th Jan). It took two or three days to arrive to Finnish customs office and day or so more to get the notification from customs. It seems it usually takes more time to get packages from HK to US than to here in Finland. At least that's what I've observed during this thread. I didn't get any tracking number from AB and I didn't ask for it. But I don't mind since it doesn't help the package get here any time sooner... And from experience, I can count on AB to deliver. I would guess he's pretty much occupied answering questions, taking orders and delivering them. He's got to be a busy guy, considering how much of these guns are bought nowadays.

What I'm really happy about the whole affair, is that AB is selling us spare parts with decent prices (and giving them free if something critical like charging handle breaks) and delivers our feedback to WE, which is pretty much unheard-of in this industry. At least now we don't need to hang it to wall if something breaks. Hopefully the aftermarket industry will pick this gun fast to their production lines. I guess they don't see here as much "milking potential" than in WA, since there's a whole lot less to improve. I guess WA is in that sense the "perfect cow". Not to say there wouldn't be things to improve in WE. And once the springtime arrives and people around the globe really start to use this gun in skirmishes, we will most likely see a lot of things happening around this gun.

Edited by Lupus78

my charging handle broke last evening,... no problem so far because I would have changed it with a real steel one anyways,.. but still can't find a "good" source.. midway uk is out of stock... the other shop I found with a reasonable price hasn't answered yet..

maybe someone with some other shops in GB or other european countries?

There was one place that might be of help, but I have to look it up. Is it the old charging handle or the new supposedly steel one?

Depending on where it broke you also might be able to do a "good enough" repair. Mine broke at the very front and I was able to epoxy and re-enforce it with some extra steel and epoxy dough. Probably won't last forever but long enough for a replacement to arrive.

Edit: Gah, nevermind. They don't ship internationally.

Not sure if this is worth mentioning but if it's just the latch that broke you should probably use a rubber band to keep the charging handle in place. I don't recall who first mentioned it, but he said the latch is the only thing keeping the handle in place. If that's gone it's for the most part free to move on its own when the bolt is not at battery, so should the handle move back a bit while firing the bolt will come forward hitting it, which will eventually (and somewhat prematurely) cause it to snap. Mine was working great until I took the band off for the heck of it and fired 20 or so round, then the handle broke.

Yeah, and really I don't mean to be impatient, but I am. I don't have any doubts that he's reliable and that my stuff will get here, I just would like to know when and have some re-assurance. It's kind of stupid in a way I would guess, but in another it's not.

I honestly do think it's great what he's doing. I'm just hoping that AB hires some extra staff before things get to be too much for one guy to handle.

Also, spring comes for only half of the globe. Probably the half with more people and almost certainly with more airsofters, but still. It's all a bit pedantic though, as I know what you meant. :P

Edited by Chris North

Hi all,

I have been a stalker on this discussion for some time and recently managed to catch up on every post :nosleep:

Firstly a massive thanks to everyone for the fantastic contributions provided and to William at www.airsoftbuddy.com for the first class customer service and feedback. As a result I decided to join in the fun and have a 2nd Gen WE M4 AFC sat in UK Customs waiting for clearance. Having test fired a WA M4 some time ago and being impressed by the realistic nature of the rifle I subsequently read about all the issues. I am really looking forward to trying the WE and hope it is the start of something very good indeed :)

I might have forgotten but I am not sure I read anything about the upgrade to the charging handle earlier in this thread, simply that William was passing the problem back to WE. Could someone confirm that the charging handle has indeed been upgraded and how? If this is the case could I expect the Gen 2 shipped by William to have been upgraded. If so I can strike that component off my "problem watch list".

I am also based in the UK and could do with some suggestions for getting Krytox or an alternative in sensible quantities. I like the sound of the reduced cool down impact previously mentioned.

Finally I am seriously considering putting together a WE information site and wondered if anyone out there could name every component on the numbered sheet provided by William? This might help to remove any ambiguity around how components are discussed. But more importantly might allow any site to include tested Real Steel parts that work/don't work/require modification etc. along with possible suppliers around the globe to be attached as a sort of guide.

This is just a thought so feel free to provide suggestions/feedback, not sure if I have enough time to do this yet but hey. Sorry for the long post too.

Regards,

Mark

Edited by Marky [UE]
But if you really had taken it all apart how come you didn't know the washer #122 is smaller not bigger than the cylinder?

Because I haven't taken it all apart, specifically the big brass chamber to measure it. Not sure how you jumped to the conclusion that I hadn't disassembled the gun just based on that. It's not like I pull out my caliper everytime I disassemble a gun.

Anyway you still need to answer my question regarding what you call "the valve," and how that's different from what I call "the nozzle."

And if there really is no difference, which I claim there isn't, then there's a whole lot of stuff I posted that you need to look at that you conveniently skipped earlier.

Maybe to prevent any further conclusion you could cite the exploded diagram like I have.

Maybe to prevent any further conclusion you could cite the exploded diagram like I have.

This is the one that Airsoft Buddy provides:

http://www.airsoftbuddy.com/member/52976/e...20Explosion.jpg

the package arrived today,.. 2 days from HK to Germany.. nice one!

Told you so... ;)

Has William from AB been returning emails? I sent him one last week for parts and he hasnt returned it yet.

Yes, he answered my mail yesterday. I asked about the CO2 magazines (again). He told WE is now testing the magazine design and estimated release is in April, earliest. They want to make it right, before any release. I also tested the five extra magazines I got from AB. Every single one holds gas nicely and functions perfectly. No hissing sounds, even from the start. Nice! Although I lubed the valves (pressing the hammer valve and spraying inside) day before and filled them the next day.

I should also change the bolt stop to the steel one I got. Is it easy to swap? Gotta take a look at it when I have the time...

Edited by Lupus78

http://www.airsoftbuddy.com/member/52976/e...20Explosion.jpg

01 Flash hider

02 Flash hider spacer

03 Flash hider o-ring

04 14,5" barrel extention

05 A style front sight

06 Front site post locking pin

07 Sight Detent Spring, Front

08 Sight Detent, Front

09 Swivel Rivet, Front

10 Forward Sling Swivel