Madbull Chrono...suspicious

galactica

Myself and a few chums have been collating our experiences with Madbull chronos (the blue aluminium ones)...and we think there's something up. Namely, our guns appear to be doing about 30fps less than they do with other chronos, like a guarder or combro.

Have YOU experienced an odd chrono reading at a site with a blue Madbull chrono?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have found a lot of chronos give vastly differing results. We use guarder chronos at the site i help run and they are always different to my combro chrono readings. As a site though, we go from the main one so at least if everyones guns are out it is by the same amount oficially.

TBH without having them calibrated properly, there is a huge scope for error with these things.

ICS MP5 SD3 (Modified) on a Madbull chrono at SYA Proteus read out 225fps, my X-Cortech chrono said 265fps. The range it was doing that day certainly didn't relfect the reading of the Madbull chrono.

Classic Army G3 SG1 (Stock gearbox) also at SYA read 291fps on their chrono whereas mine said about 320.

My X-Chortech chrono has been tested against a Guarder chrono at SYA and F&O and also against some Big Dragon metal chronos i got not long ago and all of those have given very similar readings whereas the Madbull one SYA have has read out around 30fps under for the guns i have chronoed there. It also reads out 280fps with a stock TM AEG, so i'm inclined to say my chrono is calibrated correctly.

At the two sites I attend I get 10-12 fps difference in the readings solidly. Hop off and on.

Considering how important 10 fps is when you are running close to 328 or 350 depending on the site!

I upgraded my TM P90 with the Hurricane M100 kit.

M100 spring, bearing piston head, bearing spring guide, new nozzel. Well fitted and I get 306-307 fps hop off. I know the other chrono will give me 317 from experience, which is more in line with the 320-330 I was hoping for.

I might as well fit a brass cylinder head I have for it but never got around to using for some reason. Possibly go to an M110 spring.

Yeah I don't really like the Madbull ones very much... they do seem to read pretty low. A friend's upgraded VSR-10 shooting ~500+ FPS was reading at like 410 lol...and his L85 which is shooting around 380 was reading closer to 350.

Then again, when another friend had an upgraded Tanaka it read 666 FPS with .20's consistently on a Madbull chrono...so if that was shooting low, I don't even want to think about what it was *really* shooting.

I wonder if anyone has tested Madbull against Madbull?

Ben.

We had this problem at PR. The chrono at the dessie regen was reading 370 fps on this blokes gun, the in game chrono was reading 340.

Both the blue madbull ones.

:P

Then again, when another friend had an upgraded Tanaka it read 666 FPS with .20's consistently on a Madbull chrono...so if that was shooting low, I don't even want to think about what it was *really* shooting.

I've seen 770 from a tanaka on CO2, so it's really by-the-by. It's the consistency with other chronos that's the issue at hand.

That is the issue especially from a site point of view if different chronos are used. we always go on the higher reading to be safe but does that mean it is right? probably not always. Also if detuning or upgrading guns at home and using my combro chrono i doen't always know if it will then be site legal as the readings are different.

Consistency is key with what is argueably one of the most important bits of safety equipment in airsoft after eye protection.

I've seen 770 from a tanaka on CO2, so it's really by-the-by. It's the consistency with other chronos that's the issue at hand.

Yeah, that's CO2...my friend was using propane.

And I know the issues with consistency, but the Madbull's are known to read low, so I was just a bit surprised to see how hot it was shooting on the Madbull, meaning it's probably shooting even hotter in reality.

More on topic, I have found that the F1 Chrony's are actually pretty good, if you get the lighting right. A friend of mine has one and it reads very consistently if you get the lighting done right (last time it was just out in the sunshine, and that was fine).

Hmmm. Interesting that there's a fairly broad spread of similar experiences so far. It would be awfully convenient that most chinese guns would read just under 1J with such an under-read. Especially if you had a large fleet of rental guns you didn't want to downgrade...

I have similar experience with Madbull Chronos.

~30fps lower than others, and some times the display doesn't update with a new reading.

Very annoying to use, and it eats batteries too.

My Xcortech on the other hand - top notch, can't say anything bad about it :)

I have similar experience with Madbull Chronos.

~30fps lower than others, and some times the display doesn't update with a new reading.

Very annoying to use, and it eats batteries too.

My Xcortech on the other hand - top notch, can't say anything bad about it :)

That sounds familiar, I got 3 readings of 207.9 on the Army Detonics from one of these mysterious blue chronos, in a row, which seems rather strange, also I reckoned the FPS I was getting wasn't really matching up with the pain of shooting myself in the finger with it...

It begs the question though, if they are 'known' to read low like some people are saying, then why do people still buy them? Not doubting anyone's experiences like, just interested why people would buy something like a chrono that is known to be inaccurate. This isn't counting those who are ignorant of the facts, more the point those who have bought them whilst knowing they are inaccurate.

I was considering buying one myself for all my toys, that need repairing or upgradingbut I think I shall look elsewhere now.

Archived