Madbull Chrono...suspicious

galactica

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Combro chrony which have been tried, tested and proven to work for years.

Why anyone would buy something from a gimmicky company like Madbull compared to them is beyond me. They might be slightly cheaper, but you aren't even getting what you pay for!

Plus they are overpriced in the UK, no one seems to have taken the currency difference into account as they're $99 (£60) in the US but £99/£100+ here!

It begs the question though, if they are 'known' to read low like some people are saying, then why do people still buy them? Not doubting anyone's experiences like, just interested why people would buy something like a chrono that is known to be inaccurate. This isn't counting those who are ignorant of the facts, more the point those who have bought them whilst knowing they are inaccurate.

I was considering buying one myself for all my toys, that need repairing or upgradingbut I think I shall look elsewhere now.

Because I don't think this has really been discussed before. Or they want a more powerful rifle while seeming to be in limits. Or it could be a million other reasons.

At Bulldog 3, the Madbull they were using was reading everyone's guns (about 300 give or take) low. My KWA M4 was chrono'd at 330! And it sure didn't have the range of a 330fps gun.

At our local site, we use the Xcortech and it's absolutely great. I love measuring ROF on it.

It begs the question though, if they are 'known' to read low like some people are saying, then why do people still buy them? Not doubting anyone's experiences like, just interested why people would buy something like a chrono that is known to be inaccurate.

We don't?

The whole point has started as a result of sites that are using them, presumably because they are meant to be pretty robust. I've also raised this point on the SYA forum and one of the mods and the person who runs the site have both brushed it off as "the usual whinge is.."Well on blah blahs chrono where I usually play its alright but yours is saying im over".......which is kind of tough *suitcase* really, as its our chrono that counts on the day".

Not a very encouraging attitude to see, and the flaw in that statement is the point comes from Madbull chronos reading lower which could potentially allow people with hot guns to play, not people with hot guns not play leaving the possibility of a non-level playing field for people.

Not a very encouraging attitude to see, and the flaw in that statement is the point comes from Madbull chronos reading lower which could potentially allow people with hot guns to play, not people with hot guns not play leaving the possibility of a non-level playing field for people.

Probably why they're using it then :lol:

Not a fan to be honest.

I own an X3200 chrono, I can chrono any of my guns and find they all fire between 345-350fps (hop set) depending on which gun it is.

When I got my gun chrono'd with a Guarder chrono on site at F&O it has read exactly the same as the X3200 with the exception of a cold day where the reading on the Guarder was 20fps down but so was everyone elses, I wrote it off as being down to the air temp lowering the air pressure max in the cylinder at the point of compression.

Now they use FiDragon or something like that and they been off by about 10fps but the worst offenders have been blue Madbull chronoes just recently

ICS M4 doing 345fps hop set, reading taken at room temperature on X3200

Same M4 was recorded doing 317fps in the morning of one of the hottest days of the year and had had about half a mag ran through it to warm it up before chronoing.

My L85 does 305-307fps with .25s yet using an M16 mag filled with site .2s it was only doing 320 according to the chrono, clearly something not right with the Madbull ones I reckon.

If SYAs chrono overreads thats fine in a way...because the guns are weaker than they are expected to be. However, technically I *could* (but woudlnt) take my 360fps Beretta RX4 and it would come in just about legal.

Its like a speedometer on a car. If it overreads 5mph, then youre doing 25 through a speed camera in a 30 zone. If it underreads though... flash flash.

Problem is though, is that people could be excluded from playing, and feel heavily put out depending on how far they had travelled, if they got there with for example a stock Classic Army and be told "Its too hot, go home".

I was looking at getting one of these Madbull chrono's as I'm constantly been asked to up/down grade guns by players at my site. I think I'll go with a Xcortech chrono instead as its £40 cheaper!

I'll also have a chat with the marshals at the site as they're using a madbull chrono which caused some problems at our last Urban. It was saying my 416 was shooting 276 when I know for a fact its dead on 345.

Josh

The problem I'm told is the lighting conditions. This bloke in question whos gun read differently on our two chronos also read differently on his chrono (guess what it was :P)

Either way the guy was a marshall at UCAP and he said they solved the problem by doing all the chronoing indoors. When it's done outside under varying natural conditions is when it seems to give these mad results, inside he said it seemed to be pretty normal - dunno if anyone could verify this?

^ Sounds a bit far fetched to me.

Not really.

Until a couple of years ago every chrono would be used with a lighting kit designed to give consistent results regardless of ambient light.

As electronic components have got more stable the lighting kits have been discarded.

Not always for the best.

i've had issues with mine reporting different(usually higher) values than say, the chrony F1 alpha my airsmith uses.

in hindsight(which is 20/20, as we all know), i would have picked up the Xcortech chrono instead. it seems to be more accurate, and has more useful features.

I have a Skan chrono. Basically, 'the chrono' if it matters. Google them fore the score.

I find Guarders read about 20fps less & Madbulls between 10 & 30 fps less, it varies from model to model.

If I'm sniping a new site for the first time, I'll ask what chronos they use & set my gun up based on that info, that way there is no embaracement or falling short.

It's always dissapointing being 20fps under everyone else just because my chrono actually works & others don't. :rolleyes:

I do take the point made earlier: Some sites are now moving toward tolerance of 370fps full autos. Now, if they are using Madbull chronos that are reading 30fps below home office approved chronos, they could be seen to be encouraging people to have aegs above the dreaded 380!

Greg.

Archived