A&K SVD PICT'O'RAMA + first look

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only low caps I guess are the KA ones, which IIRC are plastic no?

I'm quite happy with a high cap tbh, means I can carry this and a loaded pistol into the field without tons of webbing or having extra mags bouncing around in my pockets. I don't do the silent hunter thing though so a rattling magazine isn't an issue.

in all honesty, its been a long time since I was this excited about a rifle.

edit: I do have a dilemma now though. Is it worth saving for a real steel optic, which would take me a few weeks? or settle with the ACM copy?

Edited by Coldgunner

between the ACM copies and the real ones are some differences. the ACM copies are generally great, but the reticule is mostly wrong, the paint scratches easily and the eye relief is a little too unforgiving, forcing you to keep your eye at around 1 inch from the scope to see anything at all. i would choose the real scope any day of the week, but thats because its really not expensive compared to the ACM scopes. theres only about a 50 dollar difference. that is, for the 4x scopes.

Edited by Horsem4n

Atoz/KA SVD wasn't compatible with APS2 pistons... If this is a direct copy, then good luck fixing the badly designed outer barrel assembly and hopup, plus working out some kind of solution to keep the nozzle fully in battery. :)

That were the weakest points on my Atoz/KA.

PS: The real steel 4x24 PSO/SVD scope is a piece of cr*p, so no worries about buying an ACM copy.

Edited by Trasher

as for the nozzle to chamber fit, mines actually very nice and i have minimal air loss (because of the slight impreciseness of my model, i can actually have the bolt/cylinder head rest right up against the chamber), i tested it a couple nights ago.

the barrel assembly isnt horrible. i like it, but the grub screws on either side was a bad choice. should have been a single screw from the bottom at least. or pins in a perfect version. its not like you cant mod it to do that anyway.

anyway, making the barrel straight is possible though.

i determined that any amount of tape in the barrel assembly isnt possible. theres just not enough space.

hopup isnt bad. compared to a VSR, sure, its a disappointment not having that ability, but since great buckings exist for AEGs that allow consistent performance without a special nub exist, im a happy camper.

as for the piston. its something i read. from pics, the pistons look similar, but i have no way of being 100% certain unless i find where i read it or actually get an APS2 piston. but the stock piston is awesome as it is, no real need to get a better one. if its true, ill just take that part out. have you tried it or something?

look at this pic:

FF-APS2-T96CLDSET-L.jpg

the piston here, aps2, looks exactly like the one in my A&K SVD, just that mine has a piston head that was cast with it.

Edited by Horsem4n

There was a thread with pics comparing APS2 and Atoz piston, the Atoz had larger diameter.

The problem with outer barrel is the length and weight vs small locking surface and miniature grub screws. It will start to wobble (especially on a sling) unless you modify the whole thing. Getting it aligned properly is also pain.

no, regular AK rail adapters fit the rail on the SVD. it goes the same for PSO scopes fitting the universal rail on AKs(according to the website i was shopping on).

There was a thread with pics comparing APS2 and Atoz piston, the Atoz had larger diameter.

The problem with outer barrel is the length and weight vs small locking surface and miniature grub screws. It will start to wobble (especially on a sling) unless you modify the whole thing. Getting it aligned properly is also pain.

i cant see that entirely, it may start to wobble, but the grub screws arent the smallest things. i figured out a way to use tape to straighten and steady the barrel, the grub screws just jeep the barrel from falling out the front. i used about 1.5 square centimeters on the left side in order to make the barrel point strait. visually it worked, but i dont know about how strait it actually is until i start shooting at targets.

Edited by Horsem4n
..one short question about this long rifle... It doesn't fit in any of my bags or boxes, are there any special ones for this?

Lance

I got both a Flambau 50'' hardcase and a Guarder M2000. The gun will fit in both, albeit the M2000 needs the extension out.

Small hex at the top of the hop.

Same bad design as the atoz/ka one.

Pain in the grapes.

everyone is saying this, i dont get it. its not bad and i have seen worse.

the grub screw pushes down on the side of a long, silicon rod. the rod then interacts with the bucking. thanks to the style of bucking, theres nothing wrong with this.

Edited by Horsem4n