Dboys KAC PDW Review

IMG_1621.jpg

1. Introduction

Ever since I laid eyes on the PDW, I was very intrigued with the design. After all, KAC rarely has created a unique design; this PDW and the LMG being the only exceptions. I was more intrigued by the part AR-15 heritage, combined with a folding stock and a gas piston system. Put it all together, and you have a pretty bad*** weapon.

For RS info, go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight%27s_Armament_Company_PDW

http://www.knightarmco.com/images/pdw1.html

Being a KAC fan, this quickly became a must-have on my list, after my 11.5 URX carbine. Unfortunately, the only option before was the VFC PDW, at a whopping $450. Soon, there was word of a Dboys PDW, but hopes were dashed for a good 6 months before it was actually release. Now that it had, I had to get one, even if just as a wall hanger.

2. Ordering:

I've been essentially tracking the progress of the Dboys PDW for a good 5 months now, and finally it was released to EBB for $166. Though I initially feared EBB due to the review here, my friend convinced me to give them a try. Luckily, my fears were quelled when I received the package, only 5 days after I ordered (including a weekend), with everything intact, and even a TRADED VERSION! Yep, though EBB had said there were no trades, I, like another member on here, got a version with white laser engraved trades.

3. Impressions, Externals:

MG_1622.jpg

Finish: Simply put, the Dboys KAC PDW is a very handsome gun. The finish seems to rival the one on my G&P, with a nice flat black with no signs of two-tonedness. For the most part, all of the plastic is a nice matte color, and feels very solid. The only gripe I have about the finish is the magazine. The PDW magazine is unfortunately a semi-glossy gray, and doesn't look that great…

IMG_1625.jpg

Build Quality: This gun is very solid. The only discernable shake is somewhere in the gas piston, within the hand guard (almost sounds like a loose metal piece is bouncing around a little). However, this shake is a very, very minor complaint, and it has no wobble at all throughout the gun. The stock is very solid when extended, and has no shake at all (a very impressive feat for a folding stock). Folded, it does not feel as solid (IE: No clicking or solid sound), but will stay in place. The stock folds easily, and the button to fold the stock is easily accessible.

IMG_1628.jpg

The details: Dboys has done pretty well here, with a very nice rubber buttpad on the stock, thus feeling very comfortable to shoulder. Also, the included BUISes are pretty decent, though nothing to write home about. The selector switch is nice and stiff, and gives an audible click. The mag release is just right, not too soft or stiff. The bolt catch function works pretty well, although the bolt catch is pretty stiff. The casting seems to be well done, with no burrs or anything. The engravings are also pretty clean and well done, though there are no "Knights armament" engraved Markings on the left side of the gun (like above the mag catch).

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

Some gripes though: Though my flashhider wasn't painted orange, (nor was a plastic orange one included), it felt very cheap, like potmetal. Also, when looked at up close, it also looked plasticky. Furthermore, Magazines seemed to have to be really forced into the magwell to properly seat, or else they would drop out on their own.

IMG_1630.jpg

Another thing to note is that my Aimpoint T-1 replica QD mount would not attach to the PDW… Either the mount was too thin or the PDW rails were too wide. However, the low mount (which is what I will be using) does work pretty well.

IMG_1633.jpg

Accessories: The PDW comes with all the accessories as listed on the EBB order page, minus the single point sling (though I'm not really complaining as I got trades). The PEQ box felt very cheap however, and was made out of plastic.

Other: The PDW is very comfortable to shoulder and to shoot. The thin stock is positioned just right so that you can get a center line of bore aim. The pistol grip is actually more comfortable than a normal m4 grip (I like smoother grips). Like an Armalite variant, it felt very familiar to shoot and hold. However, I don't really like the PEQ box on there at all…. You are forced to "broomstick grip" (Anyone who has watched Art of the Tactical Carbine will know what I'm talking about) the vertical grip, which I hate. That, or a magwell grip. Also, the PEQ box is really obtrusive on such a small gun, but I suppose that's with the VFC as well…

IMG_1631.jpg

Also, Star PMAGS seem to seat better than the supplied PDW mag, and look better too (IMO). PDW mags will not seat into a standard armalite (or at least my G&P). The mag catch on an m4 will not hold the PDW mag.

IMG_1627.jpg

Overall: I'm very impressed with the externals, for the money. It looks nearly as if the finish is from a high end gun, and overall, the gun is very solid too. There were a couple minor issues, but given the price of the gun, I couldn't really complain.

4.Initial Impressions: Performance:

Since I really only got off work, I haven't had a chance to really test the performance of this gun. My friend shot it a couple times (while I was at work), and said that the accuracy was OK for an ACM gun with a short barrel. In short, it was somewhat poor- average accuracy. However, there was quite a bit of wind, so perhaps an actual test will show the true accuracy. I'm just hoping for decent accuracy, as this will be a CQB gun for me.

ROF: With the supplied 8.4v Nimh, ROF was decent. Maybe around 11 RPS.

Power: I've heard that these shoot really hot, around 400-430 FPS. Perhaps Downgrading the spring will up the ROF.

That's it for now, until I can perform some actual tests. I will be taking this to a game on Saturday, so I'll let y'all know how this performs. Crappy pictures will be up later tonight. Also, I'm not too good with internal gearbox work, so I'll probably steal a pic or link to filairsoft, where others have taken pics of the internals

Here: http://www.filairsoft.com/forum/showthread.php?p=692541 Scroll down, and you will find internal pics. It is a Ver 2 gearbox

Edited by Whan
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The aftermarket magasin for pdw is more solid and has some leadweight in it......and its shorter in length to.

My acm T-1 fits without any problem on my dboys pdw

And with a new hoprubber the pdw works like any M4 out there;)

one thing to point out!: Make sure that you locktight the two screws inside the stock where you fold it.....these unscrew themself when i was shooting ,and the lockingdevice was lost in the woods. But I found it!...lucky me;)

otherwise I say the same..very solid gun.

A videoreview is on the way;)

Whan, could you check and see if yours has bearing bushings? I took a look at those pics at filairsoft but I don't know if the guy put them in or if it came stock. A pic of the outside of the gearbox would be delightful. Oh yeah, this is my first post on here :D

Sorry, Don't think I can 'cause I suck with gearboxes. I think the answer is yes though... Others may know better.

so since the selector switch mechanism looks similiar to the scar and the sig how would one go about taking out the gearbox? i know on the sigs and the scars the lowers are plastic so you can pry the plastic out a bit to separate the gears to pull out the gearbox. but since this is metal im kinda stumped...

Performance Update:

Ok, this will be more of a qualitative report. Today, I went to a small MOUT skirm on private property with about 15 people. So far, I've determined this:

-PDW shoots pretty hot, at least 400 FPS, probably around 430

-ROF is pretty decent with an 8.4v, again, around 11 RPS

-Accuracy is mostly on par with other guns with this barrel length that are ACM made. Eg: JG MP5/Echo1 MP5 or G36c

-Hopup rubber is pretty bad, as my gun suffered 5 jams in about 3 hours. Also, every couple of shots, one would veer off, either down or to the side

-With hopup turned all the way "off", the bb flys straight.

Conclusion: Solid performance for the money, but make sure to replace the hopup bucking

Misc:

-PMAGs feed well

-Gun is still solid

-Stock when folded doesn't stay too well. It will stay, but if it got caught on something it would unfold

-When stock folds, sometimes mag drops out (only happened on PDW mag)

-Mag catch is really odd. You have to slap the base of the mag up to make the mag catch catch the mag

-It sorta sucks to have a huge PEQ box on a PDW

-Aimpoint T-1 QD mount works on PDW but scratches off paint on the side of rails.

Final score: 8/10

Pretty good value for the money. Externals look and feel high quality, though internals are on par with other ACM guns. However, the hop up rubber is pretty shoddy and needs to be replaced ASAP, though it's not an expensive fix.

Ver. 2 gearbox = good for internal compatibility, but somewhat proprietary externals means if something (like stock) breaks, it'll be hard to replace the part.

More update: Accuracy test:

5 shot grouping at 80 feet: About 15" (not counting fliers)

So accuracy is again, OK for a short barreled ACM gun. Also, the Hopup rubber is absolutely terrible. Sometimes shots will drop, or veer to the side, or even go up.

Will replace and give update

Expensive? This gun is priced reasonably if you ask me, especially when compared to its VFC counterpart. Sure, its on the upper end of ACM guns, but squarely in the affordable range given the spread of AEG prices in the market.