Dboys KAC PDW Review

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received mine today.

Some small niggles:

a little bit of left/right play between the upper and lower receiver. A shim or washer would probably sort this out.

QD sling mount pulls out really easily of the rear, left mount hole. The hole on the stock accepts the QD mount and it doesn't pull out easily.

The button that is used to fold the stock is super stiff. It takes quite a bit of pressure to get the stock to fold. Could be I am weak or the assembly needs to be oil (?).

Seating magazines is a bit... odd. My MAG mid-caps fit and feed fine, as does the included D-Boys mag. The magazines don't lock into place easily, however, they just seem to need a bit of jiggling around in order to seat properly.

Overall, very nice. It feels quite small and agile. Handles nicely.

EDIT:

Solution (maybe) found for the magazine issues. If you turn the gun upside down and look up into the magazine well you'll see some wires running by on the right side. These wires, unless they are pushed to the side a bit, prevent magazines from locking into place easily. I pushed them down and off to the side a bit and now my magazines lock into place a whole lot easier.

|

|

|

|

|

\/

The MerchantofVenice,

I didn't mean to come off as harsh or disappointed. The gun is actually really nice. I just wanted to point out some "issues" to people who might be considering buying one. By no means are they big "issues," but they should be mentioned. None of the issues are really that big of a deal.

Edited by Gigueand

i have something to add to this... make sure to not mess around with the selector switch too much. the gears that move will screw up the left side spur gear bearing. i couldnt move my selector switch last night playing so i just thought it was the gears that were misaligned but i just finished fixing the problem which i found out the bearing just "exploded." its funny tho it still shot fine and didnt even sound like anything was wrong with it. i have a feeling that this will be a common problem...

here are whats in my kac:

element hispeed

element polycarb piston

shortstroked 2 teeth

rewired to the rear

modify cylinder

modify cylinder head

its shooting 370 around 20 rps. i was about to make this gun a hispeed monster but then last night while playing i decided to keep it reliable yet still able to spit a decent amount of bbs i might up the rof slightly to around my p90 but well see.

^After seeing what the laser engraved version looks like, I'm glad I got the blank receiver version :( .

Question:

When opening the stock, returning it to its full extension, is it important to depress the locking button? Does not doing this wear out the catch on the rear of the receiver?

Well, it'd help. I've opened and closed my stock quite a bit in the time I've had it and the only noticeable wear is the scratched paint. Don't worry about it's durability in normal usage, but just don't overdo it.

Edited by Mental Medic
^After seeing what the laser engraved version looks like, I'm glad I got the blank receiver version :( .

Well, it'd help. I've opened and closed my stock quite a bit in the time I've had it and the only noticeable wear is the scratched paint. Don't worry about it's durability in normal usage, but just don't overdo it.

thats not the engraved version, thats the painted trades version. Engraved version is much nicer.

Field test it at a CQB venue yesterday.

The fire selector switch gets knocked off the semi position very easily. The gun will stop firing unless one moves the switch to auto, fires a burst and then put it back to semi.

This adds to my list of woes with the Boyi PDW.

Edited by Erik Cartman
I understand missing the Dbal, but i dont think the battery is any real big loss.

that's true, the battery could be better, all i was saying is it really doesn't make sense how Dboys was like "Here, have some rail panels and a sling instead of the components to make this a usable gun out of the box." I know i can just buy another battery box and most likely would, but i don't feel that i should have to, especially when the 2 other versions produced by them come with a DBAL & battery.

Don't mind me, I'm just being bitter and complainey. :rolleyes:

if you have problem with semi with a V2 gearbox (as the pdw have) you have to weak battery/motor. fix some stronger battery and it will be fine.

It's a electro-mechanical problem, being the poor fire-selector switch & selector plate combination. The ROF is actually not bad with the stock battery in the PEQ. I'm now using a smart charger so not likely to cook NiMH anymore.

Do you personally have a unit of the BOYI PDW?