Dboys KAC PDW Review

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got mine a few days ago. Here are some things I found out:

1. Found out it has 7mm bearings, bearing spring guide, and bearing piston head

2. The motor is a grey medium type chinese M110 motor that kinda sucks

3. If anyone got theirs from RSOV and lives in the U.S., one will find that the barrel down to the gas block will be covered in an obnoxiously bright orange paint

4.The motor grip threading is metal and is embedded in the fiber plastic pistol grip

5.the gearbox grease smells like Slim Jims.

Got mine a few days ago. Here are some things I found out:

1. Found out it has 7mm bearings, bearing spring guide, and bearing piston head

2. The motor is a grey medium type chinese M110 motor that kinda sucks

3. If anyone got theirs from RSOV and lives in the U.S., one will find that the barrel down to the gas block will be covered in an obnoxiously bright orange paint

4.The motor grip threading is metal and is embedded in the fiber plastic pistol grip

5.the gearbox grease smells like Slim Jims.

Do you have pics of the mechbox and internals? I'm still contemplating whether or not to order this from ebairsoft, dont want to be screwed.

Do you have pics of the mechbox and internals? I'm still contemplating whether or not to order this from ebairsoft, dont want to be screwed.

I don't own a camera, but take my word on it. I took it apart myself and slapped in some of my own stuff. The internals are better than the previous Dboys models. The parts of the gearbox are as described below:

Gearbox shell: VFC 7mm clone with 8 screws keeping it together. There's a hole on the left side of the gearbox to disengage the AR latch. It's also painted black. No sign of casting bubbles.

Air nozzle: It's clear polycarbonate. Nothing special.

Cylinder head: Single o-ring light brown polycarb with a really good seal. Is quite thick and feels strong.

Cylinder: Ported brass with porting for an M4 length barrel.

Piston: Standard Dboys white piston with segmented railing and 1 metal tooth. Also feels durable like the cylinder head.

Piston Head: Blue polycarb WITH bearings. The o-ring provides an airtight seal with the cylinder. Do note that the piston head doesn't have metal threading.

Spring: Linear short spring. It's a little longer than the gearbox, which makes putting back the gearbox together a snap. Poor man's chrono indicates it is in the neighborhood of an M120. Goes through one side of a can with .25's.

Spring Guide: Metal base with polycarb shaft. Has BEARINGS!

Gears: Machined XYT standard ratio gears. All of the gears are made of a single piece of metal. AR latch isn't reinforced, but won't break anytime soon.

Bearings: Metal 7mm BEARINGS! 'Nuff said.

Wiring: 18 awg with silver plating.

Everything else on the inside is the same as the other Dboys models to include the motor. Speaking of which, the motor is a standard grey Chinese motor of MEDIUM height.

One more thing to note that I thought was cool, the selector plate is METAL!

Got any pics? I would like to see what I might be possibly dealing with, lol.

<_< Annoyed that they did that. I'll end up removing it with nail polish remover or something to a nice, little orange tip.

<_< Annoyed that they did that. I'll end up removing it with nail polish remover or something to a nice, little orange tip.

Link to my buddies pics of his Dboys KAC PDW, ordered from RSOV.

It seems like they just lazily dip the gun in orange paint. even the rails had a tiny bit of orange on them.

it's kinda funny when it's an 8" barrel and 4" of it are orange.

I have heard that RSOV does this with all their guns when shipping to the US. another friend just got a WE GBB Scar from them and everything up to the front of the rails was completely orange, including the entire front sight.

I guess that's their version of Hi-viz sights... <_<

ebaybanned does not even paint theirs, and i have not heard of any issues of getting them into the country, so they might be your best bet.

Edited by darkhold

On my pdw i can fit all that stuff:

pdwfotowebb5.jpg

pdwfotowebb3.jpg

and yes I know thet the front sight is not in the pic.....but I have put on all at the same time

This aeg put my a&k masada down to nr2 on my list......its my number 1 toppredator right now;)

some more stuff:

the hopup in my gun was to tight to use high end hopup rubbers, like guarder and element...they would shred when I tryed to put them in.

I just change to another m4 style hopup and the problem was solved.

You can not use the system magnum medium motor to a 100% fit. It has a metalcollar that will get stuck in the gearbox hole, but you can use longer screws for the pistolgrip baseplate to correct this.

(dont mid the magnums shredded piniongear)

magnummotor1.jpg

(the medium dboys without the collar)

pdwmagg3.jpg

(baseplate stucks out a tiny bit with the longer screws)

pdwfotowebb1.jpg

One more thing...dont load up the after market mags to there limit....they can get split in half.

pdwmagg2.jpg

This aeg puts down my a&k masada to nr2 on my list......the pdw is my top predator right now;)

Edited by appslapp

I am tuning up one of these up. And first impressions is that its very nice. About the same length as an MP5 fullstock, but less bulky.

Its solid, like a thompson, it feels like it can be bashed around a bit.

The Folding stock length is about 4/6-5/6 of a fully extended sliding stock, which is good for CQB. Wearing LevelIV ICW SAPI armour, the Folding stock gives the length of a fully extended rifle stock. The soft rubber buttplate is a nice touch.

As with the VFC, the bolt catch works, and bolt works also.

The motor is a little weak. And definately needs a better motor.

Overall it feels like an AR, handles like an MP5, and is about as solid as an RealSword AK.

I am impressed with the finishing on the weapon and the packaging. It feels good.

I feel that this is much better than the MASADA for its feel and parts, only issue is limited battery space, and whether and internal battery mod would give good waterproofing to make this a good all rounder weapon.

Tactically, it does need an adjustable sliding stock, but thats more to the KACs design than D'boys.

I can't wait till a GBB version of this comes out.

Mental Medic,

What length is the inner barrel?

The gun comes with a barrel extension. With the extension attached how long (theoretically) could the inner barrel be? 300mm?

The short outer barrel is 208mm and the longer outer barrel is about 10 inches. You can figure out the metric length. The inner barrel is about a centimeter longer than the short outer barrel. 300mm would be too long for the longer outer barrel. The max would be about 260-270mm and at that point the barrel would be in the flash hider.

Annoyed that they did that. I'll end up removing it with nail polish remover or something to a nice, little orange tip

Don't own a camera so pics aren't possible. Besides, I already cleaned off most of the orange anyway. But if they did the same thing to yours as they did with mine, from the flash hider to half way down the gas block will be blazing orange. Have fun trying to take the orange out of the little nooks.

only issue is limited battery space

I have a battery sling on mine holding a Firefox 11.1v 1100 mAH LiPo. I like it because it deviates weight and volume away from the gun. If you look in the back of the lower, you'll see that there's a quick detach sling mount right where the wiring would come out if it were wired to the rear. I poked some wire through it and used the other sling mount on the left side of the lower for a 1 point sling. It's quite bad4$$ looking without a PEQ up front.

Link to my buddies pics of his Dboys KAC PDW, ordered from RSOV.

It seems like they just lazily dip the gun in orange paint. even the rails had a tiny bit of orange on them.

it's kinda funny when it's an 8" barrel and 4" of it are orange.

I have heard that RSOV does this with all their guns when shipping to the US. another friend just got a WE GBB Scar from them and everything up to the front of the rails was completely orange, including the entire front sight.

I guess that's their version of Hi-viz sights... <_<

ebaybanned does not even paint theirs, and i have not heard of any issues of getting them into the country, so they might be your best bet.

Damn, that's orange. Need to break out ye old nail polish remover.

bad news... well sorta... usps was going to drop off the package today but no one was home... so i gotta go pick it up at the post office tommorow right before work. *sigh* i already have a gearbox shell waiting to be built for this bad boy. its already replacing my 30+rps ics stubby. throwing a 8mm gearbox, element hispeeds with probably 2 teeth shaved off. and maybe a gp120. if the element gears give out i think i might try the kingarms super highspeeds :D

just received my engraved version, and all i can say is wow... i am soo impressed

i will post awesome pix, but for can some one tell me: to fit a 1600 mah nunchuck lipo in the hand guard, is it needed that i get the new outer barrel kit? i dont need some one who has done it on the dboy to respond, but maybe some one who has done it with a vfc?

God, I love my Dboys PDW!

Only issue I have is, my included VFG has managed to get itself STUCK on my lower rail. It will NOT come off. I don't really want to ruin it considering it has KAC trademarks and all. Has this happened to anyone else?

happened to me, i took out the center screw thing, covered it in a towel, then tapped it lightly with a hammer. it worked for me, just be patient and gentle.