100 Greatest War Films

ferg981

Hey

Channel 4 are doing a list of the 100 greatest warfilms this weekend, so which warfilms would make your top 10?!

Here's mine (in no particular order.... basically cos I couldnt be bothered to think of one)

Saving Private Ryan

Zulu

Dam Busters

Sink the Bismarck

Great Escape

A Bridge too Far

Tora Tora Tora

Battle of Britain

Apocalypse Now

BlackHawk Down

Whats your opinions?

Cheers

FERG

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Band of Brothers is a TV series, so unfortunately it wasnt on the list of nominees, although it was excellent. I want to buy the box set, im too much of a cheap skate to pay full whack for it tho. Silent Scope - good choice, Bridge over the River Kwai is a classic, I didnt include it on my list though, simply because its on every year at Xmas over in the UK, and to be quite frank its doing my nut! I've seen it so many times!!

LOL

Well you Brits should be proud of it and play it over and over. David Lean was a fantastic director! Ive got two of his movies on my list and its hard to impress me.

*beep* I should have put Paths of Glory on my list, Im a huge Kubrick fan. Which reminds me, I forgot Barry Lyndon too!

Also forgot Battleship Potyomkin! Eisenstein was a total genius for his time. War is a great subject for film.

These are in no paticular order. Also I love Band of Brothers. Sgt Gunnear is my favorite and Major Winters.

Heartbreak Ridge [Clint Eastwood]

Full Metal Jacket [Michael Modine, R. Lee Ermey]

BlackHawk Down [Josh Hartnett, Ewan McGregor]

Behind Enemy Lines [Oen Wilson,Gene Hackman]

We Were Soldiers [Mel Gibson]

Saving Private Ryan [Tom Hanks]

NavySeals [Charlie Sheen,Michael Biehn]

Platoon [Tom Berenger,Willem Dafoe,John C. McKinley]

Windtalkers [Nicholas Cage]

The Dirty Dozen

i havent seen Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War yet but i hope its as good as i hear it is.

otherwise, war films, listings wise have been done before here.

i dont think the 100 greatest war films will be unpredictable tbh, especially as its by a western audience, and possibly a recent generation thats voting too..

personally its easier for me to say which ones i'd leave out rather than ones i'd leave in:

windtalkers

we were soldiers

heartbreak ridge

behind enemy lines

oh and then theres been countless low budget cruddy flicks too.. hmm..

it was also nice to see a movie that was so beautiful, yet brutal at the same time.

and its amazing to see stars ego's not dominating the film, but just playing their parts. rare for a hollywood flick these days. malick got some good performances out in this film.

Hmmm, I think I'll have to watch this again now :D

I picked it up in a set along with 'Men Of Honor' and 'Tigerland', both decent films. Men Of Honor, especially, is a really touching and interesting film.

Rant mode on-

I cannot belive people have been putting Behind Enemy Lines in their lists.

That is without a doubt the most comical "war" film ever. AAM's do not follow jets around for 5 mins!! And it doesn't matter who you are, you can't out run shrapnel.

Rant mode off-

Hmmm, mine would be as follows.

In no specific order

Apocalypse Now

Full Metal Jacket

Hamburger Hill

We Were Soldiers

The Great Escape

Bridge Over The River Kwai

Blackhawk Down

Platoon

In no particular order (apart from Das Boot which is the best)

Das Boot

Enemy at the Gates

Platoon

We Were Soldiers

Band of Brothers (I count it as a film, Das Boot was also a series)

Saving Private Ryan

The Dam Busters

Battle of Britain

Black Hawk Down (only for the finger safety wiggle)

Bravo Two Zero

I hope that they remake the Dam Busters. I don't want them to change it, but just perhaps put it in colour, and change the effects. They have to, and mean seriously, not use any actors other then English actors. Noone, and I mean noone is allowed to be American even if they put on a English accent.

See now my point about Band of Brothers is this; if Das Boot (which in it's original form is as long as BoB) is able to be shown on the BBC in series form, but still count as a film then so should BoB. I know it is a series, and that every hour or so the titles come up, but if you fast forward through the credits then it becomes on big film. it is on a film scale, with film actors, and film quality.

"Would a rose by any other name still smell as sweet?" In this case, yes.

Archived