BHD

Band of brothers

saving private ryan

thin red line

COMBAT (television series)

24 (television series)

U571

enemy at the gate

Transformers the movie (sledge you and I ave' something in common)

great escape

platoon

das boot

we were soliders

and some more I cant think of.

See now my point about Band of Brothers is this; if Das Boot (which in it's original form is as long as BoB) is able to be shown on the BBC in series form, but still count as a film then so should BoB.  I know it is a series, and that every hour or so the titles come up, but if you fast forward through the credits then it becomes on big film.  it is on a film scale, with film actors, and film quality.

I was talking about this the other day funnily enough :)

The difference is Das Boot was a film first (albeit a four hour one!), and then it was serialised. BoB was written as a series of course. The thing is, BoB isn't quite a serial. Several of the episodes dwell on specific characters, and if you showed BoB back -to-back with no credits, it would keep jumping about all over the place. But yes, the budget of BoB, and it's obviously cinematic style means I think it's fair to class it as a film. It's not like 'Soldier Soldier' or something else less grand, is it? :P

i loved tigerland. colin farrel was so convincing i thught he was american [i didnt watch anything on tv with him in so i didnt knwo about his tv past]

its rare that schumacher can make a decent film that i like [he needs to burn for those bloody batman movies] , but tigerland was top notch

It took me a while to realise it was even Kiefer, but yeah, I liked it. Some of it was just plain daft (the main storyline, for example... ;)), but it's a fun film, an that's what counts. I think I'll go watch it now.

Heroes of Telemark, anyone?

Guns of Navarone?

Ice Cold In Alex?

Raiders of the Lost Ark? (maybe not)

Pearl Harbour?

M.A.S.H.?

Catch 22?

The Sound of Music? (unlikely)

Sobibor?

All classics, but maybe not all in the top 50.

Edit: Just remembered "When The Wind Blows". Oh, and Dr Strangelove.

I spy Dr. Strangelove in the top 50 preview. If it doesn't make the top 10 I'll break something valuable.

Start Smashing

Here is the top 10 (in reverse order) for your viewing pleasure ladies and gentlemen

FERG

10 - Bridge over the River Kwai

09 - Blackhawk Down

08 - Zulu

07 - A Bridge Too Far

06 - Platoon

05 - Full Metal Jacket

04 - Schindlers List

03 - Great Escape

02 - Apocalypse Now

01 - Saving Private Ryan

Ammendments:

1 - Remove Zulu, and push the others down the list by one, leaving the no.1 spot free.

2 - Add 'Band Of Brothers' in the no. 1 spot.

3 - Swap 'The Great Escape' for 'Dr. Strangelove'.

4 - Swap 'Bridge Over The River Kwai' with 'Thin Red Line'

Seriously, The Great Escape even being in the top 20 was a travesty. And where exactly were 'We Were Soldiers' and 'Hamburger Hill', eh? Eh? EH?!

Christ, you'd have thought a bunch of monkeys compiled that list... :rolleyes:

"The top 100 war films, as voted for by Channel 4 viewers!"

Ah, right, voted for by the people who actually watch Big Brother (OMFG!!1 12 dayzorz left til teh neu sereez!!!11//). That would explain a lot... :rolleyes:

Archived