I spent the day taking both my serialized and non-serialized KJW M4's apart and installing parts that Travis sent to me.

P4120266.jpg

As you can see, I am drinking the Magpul Kool-Aid and it tastes GOOD!

First I installed the Carrier Extensions in both guns.

P4120274.jpg

I then removed the inner barrel of my serialized gun and compared it to the Hop Ups that I got from Clare at KJW.

P4120282.jpg

As you can see, there is a difference between the two outer shell designs. Though I don't think this has any effect on the Hop Up Arm. There was no discernible difference between the Hop Up rubbers. The Hop Up arm and Adjuster Assembly where identical on both guns.

Here is my Cradle TB installed.

P4120286.jpg

I only had a chance to test fire the serialized version first and the results where not good. The TB is doing it's job by giving me tighter grouping out to 50 feet but once I try to give it more hop up the bbs start to turn hard right. I did the heat shrink trick on the non-serial gun and I will check the results of that endeavor tomorrow.

I of course did all this , then saw Travis' post. We will see what tomorrow brings. If this Hop Up issue gets resolved then I will be convinced that these are the best guns around. Period.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

vertical grips cause the bbs to drop down faster defeating the purpose of a houpup. red dots make u go blind, for everyone u hit it takes away a min of vision so it makes u accurate out of fear. T

Yeah man, we pretty much get it. There's no need to post 20 times about how bad your KJW is. Now, can you please go ahead and delete your account?

News Update: We are back to working on our KJW BCGs. I think we should have a production level prototype finished within the next 10 days so keep your eyes peeled. For those who may have missed th

Posted Images

A bit offtopic i know but i'm a bit screwed with this but, do you people know european retailers that sell the KJW ? I bought my first one at airsofthq ( austria ) but it's out of stock right now and i want to buy another one :(

Here ya go bro,,,

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/other-gun/gas-blow-black-rifle/kj-works/kj-works-m4a1-carbine-gas-blow-back-rifle-tanio-koba-design.html

Phenom,

Ive noticed that the new hopup chamber design works a bit better. Mini-Support's TK has one of those that came stock and I like the way it keeps the rubber perfectly round. If your barrels still don't yield the results you'd like check the email Ill be sending out tomorrow.

@danielsilva

AirsoftHQ has the best price on KJW M4. I've order mine about three weeks ago although it has been out of stock. Markus from AirsoftHQ told me that new batch of KJW M4 will arrive by the end of April. So I'm still waiting for his confirmation. But no regrets :) This gun is awesome. And with some minor tweaks from t_hum it can get even better.

Out of europe so that's impossible for me to import :(

@danielsilva

AirsoftHQ has the best price on KJW M4. I've order mine about three weeks ago although it has been out of stock. Markus from AirsoftHQ told me that new batch of KJW M4 will arrive by the end of April. So I'm still waiting for his confirmation. But no regrets :) This gun is awesome. And with some minor tweaks from t_hum it can get even better.

Yeah that's where i bought my first KJW, i dropped them an email asking when they would get new kjw gbbr's just yesterday. I'll wait for them to arrive and make an order as soon as they are available.

Edited by danielsilva

Seems like a bunch of people aren't getting replies from Clare over at KJW. Im working on an order right now and will be ordering extras of those parts that commonly wear out or might need replacing (mag springs, part 15, etc, hop rubbers & chambers, etc.) Ill let you all know what I get and offer them on the new site.

Seems like a bunch of people aren't getting replies from Clare over at KJW. Im working on an order right now and will be ordering extras of those parts that commonly wear out or might need replacing (mag springs, part 15, etc, hop rubbers & chambers, etc.) Ill let you all know what I get and offer them on the new site.

yeah!!

next month probably I will order a TB and carrier extension, so sure I will order any replacements too (hop chamber and rubber, maybe)

I know this might not be kosher, but does anyone know of any EU or HK shops that have both the KJW m4 and mags in stock? I tried redwolf, uncompany, ehobbyasia but no dice, WGC has them but is not accepting orders (fingers crossed they'll be online soon). any options? It's my luck that finally when I'm in a position to buy no-one have them in stock :D

I tested my non-serialized gun with the new TB and it seems to work pretty good. The Hop Up adjustments are not as ideal as an AEG. The hop up wheel has small indentations underneath that the hop up arm goes in to. These indentations do not allow for fine adjustments. I'm sure some people might think they are getting too much hop or veering flight patterns because their hop ups are set between the indentations. I find this to be some what of a flawed design. If the adjustment wheel had more of a smooth ramp rather than indentations, I believe you could get finer adjustments.

I also believe that the +/- 15 fps fluctuations make perfect hop adjustments very difficult as well.

• Like 1

That's what Im seeing as well. I just came back from an OpFor thing and used my KJW and Ive noticed, Im getting awesome range with it. The hop up, though, isnt very sensitive to change. Sometimes it will hop just a bit higher than others, though my spread is nothing to complain about. I think that has to do with the fluctuations in FPS, which comes with the turf for gas in the mag I guess. It was still extremely skirmishable and outranged a buddy's SR-25 easily with .25's T hum's parts of course helped its performance. The only think I am noticing is the need to clean out my magazines. All 8 of them are now showing signs of dirtiness.

What are you guys all doing as per regular maintenance for these rifles? I think I remember reading back around page 5 or 6 (holy ######, this is a long thread!) that someone was going to make a review including proper maintenance, and that we shouldn't be putting silicon spray on our stuff. Just to save my valves and seals and all, what is proper maintenance on this puppy? What do I use to keep it in tip top shape?

I strip my gun after each use, clean the barrel with a bit of soft cloth and a thin rod. The BCG gets wiped down, as well as the inside of the receiver. Lower receiver and the buffer tube get a light spray of silicone oil, and i wipe some oil on the upper receiver to smooth out the BCG movement.

Otherwise, just a teeeeny bit of silicon oil every 10-15 magazines mixed in with the propane. No issues yet.

Also, T-Hum's products are simply amazing. the BCG extension and reducer are on mine, hopign to snag a barrel from him soon. Quality stuff and great service ^.^

Absolutely not -- the way the charging handle is fitted and the shape of the BCG -- along with the fact that you could not have a hop up -- eliminates the possibility.

I wish it were so -- I would LOVE to have a VLTOR VIS.

The hop up is in the barrel, not the upper receiver. *Edit* Oh, the adjuster. Wouldn't it be kind of simple to mount that within the receiver?

What is different about the shape of the bolt?

Edited by Sam McKenzie

Well, with enough effort, I'm sure most anything could be done regarding compatibility.

I just don't think it would be worth it -- the dimensions on the inside of the upper are simply not the same. The bolt just doesn't resemble the RS perfectly. It looks like the face is different (which would need to mesh with the lock in the front of the RS upper). If I had a RS BCG handy, I could measure and such. Alas, I do not. However, considering that the gun cannot fire real ammunition, I imagine there is a difference in the structure of the upper.

RANGE REPORT

Thursday, April 15th, 2010

1300 Hours

Gun State:

Magpul B.A.D. Lever - Cradle Airsoft Piston - Cradle Airsoft Aluminum Velocity Reducer - Using 'Echo 1' .28 BBs, Cradle Airsoft 6.03 Tight Bore 280mm Length for 10.5" CQB Barrel

Lower Now Machined To MILSPEC Dimensions!

Initial Inspection:

Bad News! Initial Inspection of the gun revealed that I now need a New Upper Receiver! It seems one of the ears on the upper decided to go south on me and the missing section is now where to be found! Some where in the Arizona desert I would imagine.

IMG_2273.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg .

Magazines Have Been Rebuilt:

Ordered and Received Parts - M1 - M7 - M9 - M12 - M14 and Successfully rebuilt each magazine.

Minus Replacing ANY Valves - The Valves themselves I am still evaluating and with the exception of having to re-seat the o-ring on the fill valve on magazine 1.

The magazines are working as normal.

AGAIN

Both Magazines are the Original Magazines Purchased with the gun!

Both magazines Have Only Been Lubed and Cleaned / O-Ring Has Yet To Be Replaced.

Both Magazines Have Been Deployed In Temperatures Ranging From 28F / -2.22C All the way Up to 118F / 47.7C and Are STILL Leak Free!

As Stated Previous: Lower Receiver Machine Work - MILSPEC Buffer

As mentioned in a prior post the lower receiver was delivered to my machine shop to have the Buffer 'Bore' machined to MILSPEC Dimension.

- Here is the side by side Comparison - MILSPEC on the Left

MILSPEC on the Left

IMG_2265.jpg

MILSPEC on the Left

IMG_2264.jpg

MILSPEC on the Left

IMG_2261.jpg

Assembly:

Was able to assemble the gun as normal with DSA MILSPEC Buffer Tube.

Encountered NO Issues with fitment or alignment of buffer tube to lower receiver.

Initial Functionality Test:

- With No Spring in the Buffer Tube -

- With No Buffer In the Buffer Tube -

- Gun Vertical / Straight Up ~ Down -

- Muzzle Pointed Down -

- NO Lube On Bolt Carrier Group -

- Charged BCG Back Half Way / Not Far Enough To Engage Bolt Stop -

Charging handle released and BCG returned to battery.

Repeated 10 X

Success 10 X

- Charged BCG Back To Bolt Stop & Hold -

Charging handle reset to home position,

MAGPUL B.A.D. Lever Actuated / BCG returned to battery

Repeated 10 X

Success 10 X

Satisfied there is no binding with a Dry BCG.

Satisfied there is No Alignment issue of rear Outside Diameter of BCG into Inside Diameter Buffer tube.

- Fully Charged BCG Back Into Buffer / So As Bolt Completely Disappeared Into Buffer Tube -

BCG Did NOT Freely Fall Back To Battery

Using Forward Assist BCG was "Walked" forward until it fell back into battery.

- Fully Lubed Bolt Carrier Group -

Repeated 10 X

Success 10 X

Repeated 10 X

Success 10 X

- Fully Charged BCG Back Into Buffer / So As Bolt Completely Disappeared Into Buffer Tube -

Charging handle released and BCG Remained in Buffer

Keeping the Muzzle Down - and Shaking Gun Up~Down as if to shake water from it the BCG returned to battery

Repeated 10 X

Success 10 X

- Fully Lubed Bolt Carrier Group - Fully Lubed Buffer In Buffer Tube - No Buffer Spring

Repeated In Rapid Succession 10 X

Success In Rapid Succession 10 X

Charging handle released and BCG Returned To Battery

Will Evaluate Performance once the Heavy Summer Weight Spring arrives by post.

I Do Not have a buffer spring or I would have concluded the functionality testing today.

Sufficed to say if there is free movement free of any binding or fitment issue with ONLY the weight of the KJW BCG with a standard (Not Heavy Weight) buffer.

Also take into account the KJW BCG is No Where Near In Comparison to its WA / WE Counter parts.

It would be safe to conclude there will be no issues cycling the gun once there is a buffer spring to return the BCG back to full battery.

There will be ONE More Modification made to the Buffer so as to safe guard the Buffer Retaining Pin.

I will post up pictures of that modification once completed as well.

Thanks for your interest,,,

Total Magazines Expended = 0

1 BB Load To 1 Gas Fill

Total Issues / Incidents Encountered / Buffer Related= 1

Total Round Count = 13,264

Edited by Raven1

Very nice, Raven! I sure hope KJW realizes what they have on hand here and actually support it by releasing other variants, a full stock one would be nice as well as fixed carry handle uppers. Now if only someone would have them mags in stock so I could actually BUY one.. *grumble grumble*