1. Early V1 can break lowers and upper reciever tabs. Neither is an expensive replacement.

2. Cradle Airsoft velocity reducer.

3. Yup AEG front and back, gbb or real grips.

4. Ready to go out the box. New Cradle bolt or a V1 bolt with cradle piston and you should be reliable. Hop mods are what it needs most, with TDC mod from Cradle or DIY to be as good as it gets.

5. Several minor ones, one major one the V2 bolt. V1 has differences with early and late ones. Also I've seen a V2 supplied with a V1 upper. Since the bolt is the only major one IMHO then I'd say get a V1 bolt regardless of which version rifle you get.

6. They can be modified to suit but you are better to buy a barrel to suit.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

vertical grips cause the bbs to drop down faster defeating the purpose of a houpup. red dots make u go blind, for everyone u hit it takes away a min of vision so it makes u accurate out of fear. T

Yeah man, we pretty much get it. There's no need to post 20 times about how bad your KJW is. Now, can you please go ahead and delete your account?

News Update: We are back to working on our KJW BCGs. I think we should have a production level prototype finished within the next 10 days so keep your eyes peeled. For those who may have missed th

Posted Images

For the last time: No sales in here, go to the goddamn classified section, if you don't have access to it, wait till you do THEN go to the classified section. Next person to post one gets a massively disproportionate suspension, k? If someone else has done it, report it please don't post about how its against the rules, its really annoying.

1. Early V1 can break lowers and upper reciever tabs. Neither is an expensive replacement.

2. Cradle Airsoft velocity reducer.

3. Yup AEG front and back, gbb or real grips.

4. Ready to go out the box. New Cradle bolt or a V1 bolt with cradle piston and you should be reliable. Hop mods are what it needs most, with TDC mod from Cradle or DIY to be as good as it gets.

5. Several minor ones, one major one the V2 bolt. V1 has differences with early and late ones. Also I've seen a V2 supplied with a V1 upper. Since the bolt is the only major one IMHO then I'd say get a V1 bolt regardless of which version rifle you get.

6. They can be modified to suit but you are better to buy a barrel to suit.

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer my questions.

Just unclear on a few things: on V1s the receiver tabs and lower receiver can ''break''? Break how? Surely replacing the receivers is expensive. Also, what is wrong with the V2 bolt exactly?

Thanks again.

Edit: As for Cradle Airsoft's V.1 bolt, 140$ for a BCG? Really? That seems a bit steep, surely it's cheaper getting a bolt directly from KJW.

So if I get a V.1 I need to replace the receivers, if I get V.2 I need to get a V.1 bolt. Which is cheaper?

Edited by AG1212

The front tabs were quite fragile in the V1 upper a new upper is only around $40 iirc. On this thread you'll see very early lowers can break at the buffer detent, quite a rare failure.

The V2 bolt has much in common with the WA type bolts and their failings.

Sadly the V1 bolt is no longer available from KJW.

It'll be cheaper to get a V1 and add reciever parts if they fail, I have 2 V1 rifles both on the original lowers and one with the original upper so the failures don't always occur. The V2 bolt though just isn't as good as the V1 and the Cradle bolt is your only option. Also if you want a new rifle V2 is your only option. I'd read the first 10-20 pages of this thread as that covers a lot of the features and I think shows the blown lower. Look for my posts on this thread as I have put up guides for the hop mods.

• Like 1

Just unclear on a few things: on V1s the receiver tabs and lower receiver can ''break''? Break how? Surely replacing the receivers is expensive. Also, what is wrong with the V2 bolt exactly?

Edit: As for Cradle Airsoft's V.1 bolt, 140$ for a BCG? Really? That seems a bit steep, surely it's cheaper getting a bolt directly from KJW.

So if I get a V.1 I need to replace the receivers, if I get V.2 I need to get a V.1 bolt. Which is cheaper?

Clarification:

If you REALLY wanted to get technical, KJW made a version 1.0, and a version 1.1 of their M4 gbbr, and the newest 2.0... The V1.0 was more prone to breakage of the tabs than the 1.1 restructured uppers and lowers of the v1.1. Just make sure if you get a v1 M4, that it does NOT have a serial number on it. If I remember correctly, those were the v1.0 models.

Trust me when I tell you from personal experience, the money for the Cradle BCG, will be 100% worth it in the long haul.

If you get a v1.0, you might consider replacing the receivers. If you get a v1.1, you won't need too. If you get a v2.0, you'll definitely want to get either a v1, or a Cradle replacement bolt.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Hut73
  • Like 1

WALL OF TEXT INCOMING: My experience with V2's and my 2 cent:

Frankly, the V.2 doesn't deserve the bashing its getting right now. Its record is just as good as the original. In fact, I run two of them, one with a reducer for CQB and a stock one for field. They work perfectly, and i run it in MIAMI where temperatures are 85-105 for 10 months, thats 180psi on straight propane (thats right, i don't even add silicone oil, too messy and murders the bucking, haven't had a single leak for a year now, thats how good the KJW is)... no issues other than the area where the bolt catch "catches" the BCG. I resolved this by just filing it flat again. I prevented the problem from happening again by making my magazines silver tabs (that push on the bolt catch thicker with epoxy.) Yes, KJW has also "updated" their magazines... so that they wouldn't push the bolt catch as high.

My theory is this was done so that it wouldn't hit/grab the nozzle, and possibly break the return spring. This already happened to me twice, and its not a coincidence, sometimes i see my bolt locked back, as im out of ammo, but then the nozzle is stuck half way, the bolt catch preventing it from snapping back.. this wont happen when using old gen 1 mags or modded gen 2 (to gen 1 specs), only gen 2's. Fix is easy too, the spring breaks at then ends, so just grab pliers and gently pull the end out, and tie that around the end with the o ring or on the nozzle, wherever it broke... sort of make a "new end" on the one that it snapped. Dont forget though, V1 rubber bands break too :) (the equivalent of a nozzle return spring in the original TK design)

Also, the recoil/action IS more satisfying, and harder (only slightly, the buffer is just a few grams heavier than before and the BCG is all metal/one piece now.) Also, no V2 BCG that i know of has "failed", look around.. then again, the V1 hasn't failed either. (All the failures have nothing to do with the mechanism, its just a weaker receiver/body, which has been resolved.) The KJW is EXTREMELY reliable.. amazing actually. The V2's reputation is just as good as V1's, no one can take that away. The reason why its called less reliable is because it lost the original "innovative" TK design. Most users can agree here the "upgrade" to a single piece BCG was a mistake, and they are right. They released the V2 to attract more buyers that wanted "open bolt", essentially the uneducated masses. Sadly, companies need to make produces that sell, and a 12 year old will see a V1 and not like it because part of the BCG is plastic, not understanding the fact is a MUCH better way to do things. BUT the v2 isn't a WOC either, thats my point.

The only negatives to running a KJW V2 daily i have found (other than the fact you need to mod the gun, thicker silver tabs, to work correctly and you will still get issues, the broken nozzle return springs) is gas efficiency. Even in miami weather (not the best nonetheless, very humid, get a lot of condensation when shooting, you make a nice white cloud lol) i still can't manage more than 3 shots mag dumps per fill, even with nicely spaced semi auto shots. That is still better than any GBBR really (neck to neck to the g39), but not close to the alleged 4-5 mag dumps v1 KJ's supposedly get. If you can pick, i say get a V2 and buy the cradle bolt, essentially a modified V1. If you cant, run the V2 stock and mod the magazines, well you should mod the mags both ways, wether you pick v1 or v2 BCG's (unless you get the old mags, so just buy used mags, they will most likely be gen 1's.. and dont worry if they are used, KJW mags are indestructible.... same with the rifle, dont be scared on buying it used.)

Edited by Landa
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it.

I think I'll go for a Ver. 1.1 if I can find one, just seems to be less hassle if things go wrong, seeing as the bolt is the most expensive thing to replace.

I'll read the first 20 pages anyway, as advised.

Edit: Is this a 1.1? They list Ver.2 separately and it seems to have no serial number: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/other-gun/gas-blow-black-rifle/kj-works/kj-works-m4a1-carbine-gas-blow-back-rifle-tanio-koba-design.html

Edited by AG1212
Edit: Is this a 1.1? They list Ver.2 separately and it seems to have no serial number: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/other-gun/gas-blow-black-rifle/kj-works/kj-works-m4a1-carbine-gas-blow-back-rifle-tanio-koba-design.html

You will be hard pressed to find one of the old serialized v1.0 KJW's, and it would most certainly be used...

IMHO, there isn't really enough difference between the 1.1 and the 2.0 that the Cradle bcg won't resolve to kill yourself trying to hunt a specific one down...

We've been running our guns (both v2 and v1) in very heavy use situations. And by heavy I mean 2 days in the jungle, over rocky, dusty, mountainous, or beach terrain in -all- weather conditions. Our guns have even been exposed to salt water as well.

They are still alive and kicking.

With that said, we have experienced some problems caused by the V2 and I don't know if anyone else has but almost everyone on my team can attest to it.

1. V2 bolts have cracked at the front section of the gun where the plastic guide bit is located. (a weak spot on WA models as well)
  2. V2 bolts have been known to break charging handles and everyone on our team has experienced this. Sometimes brand new charging handles break after a single game day.

By now, most on my team have switched back to V1 BCGs and the issues seem to have gone away.

There is no need to modify your guns beyond external cosmetics. Everything, especially in the newer releases should work correctly, even the hopups on the newer releases are now more responsive (I have a friend who has an airsoft shop and we've noticed this, I also went ahead and bought a newer hop set from him [he gets stuff direct from KJW]) and have noticed a very BIG improvement in my gun's accuracy though the parts kinda looked the same.

It is important to check your BCG and Charging handle, and of course clean and re-lube the gun after every game.

The front tabs were quite fragile in the V1 upper a new upper is only around $40 iirc. On this thread you'll see very early lowers can break at the buffer detent, quite a rare failure.

The V2 bolt has much in common with the WA type bolts and their failings.

Sadly the V1 bolt is no longer available from KJW.

It'll be cheaper to get a V1 and add reciever parts if they fail, I have 2 V1 rifles both on the original lowers and one with the original upper so the failures don't always occur. The V2 bolt though just isn't as good as the V1 and the Cradle bolt is your only option. Also if you want a new rifle V2 is your only option. I'd read the first 10-20 pages of this thread as that covers a lot of the features and I think shows the blown lower. Look for my posts on this thread as I have put up guides for the hop mods.

So your pretty much saying that aside from the BCG the V2 KJW M4 is better then the V1.1? Mags, bolt catch, etc.?

just buy a used V2, you can source them with 5 or so mags for around 400$ or so (one in good condition) and buy the cradle bolt separately. It will come out cheaper in the long run, plus the magazine "combo" you usually get with used rifles is great as you get the old gen 1 mags, no need to mod them... The v2 will have the reinforced receiver AND the updated hop up too, no one has mentioned that.

Edited by Landa

just buy a used V2, you can source them with 5 or so mags for around 400$ or so (one in good condition) and buy the cradle bolt separately. It will come out cheaper in the long run, plus the magazine "combo" you usually get with used rifles is great as you get the old gen 1 mags, no need to mod them... The v2 will have the reinforced receiver AND the updated hop up too, no one has mentioned that.

I don't see how it can work out cheaper, Ver. 1.1 from what I have read has no serious long term issues, and besides uppers are supposedly cheap to replace. I see no benefit with getting Ver. 2 if all I need to do with older versions is mod the hop, if that is even needed.

the V1 BCG still has the carrier extension issue (search in this topic about that), where the buffer smashes the detent, instead of the BCG and breaks the lower. The V2 BCG has fixed that with a it being a few mm longer, and the cradle modded V1 BCG has a carrier extension built in...

I said cheaper in the long run for that and the magazines, where you can get gen 1's bundled with a used gun, or buy gen 2 and go through a mod process, not to mention used stuff has way more bang for the buck, and KJW age well, you will have a gun that is as good as new.

How is buying a 400$ KJW V1.1 and 45$ mags separately cheaper than getting it all used anyways? You will have money left to get the cradle BCG, which superior and more durable to anything here. If i where to buy a KJW right now, i would tho that. You get V2 goodies without the crappy BCG.

the V1 BCG still has the carrier extension issue (search in this topic about that), where the buffer smashes the detent, instead of the BCG and breaks the lower. The V2 BCG has fixed that with a it being a few mm longer, and the cradle modded V1 BCG has a carrier extension built in...

I said cheaper in the long run for that and the magazines, where you can get gen 1's bundled with a used gun, or buy gen 2 and go through a mod process, not to mention used stuff has way more bang for the buck, and KJW age well, you will have a gun that is as good as new.

How is buying a 400$ KJW V1.1 and 45$ mags separately cheaper than getting it all used anyways? You will have money left to get the cradle BCG, which superior and more durable to anything here. If i where to buy a KJW right now, i would tho that. You get V2 goodies without the crappy BCG.

I see, good points. But finding a KJW M4 second hand in this country will be next to impossible, not enough people involved with airsoft. And importing will be a pain in the *albatross*, seeing as we have a 1J limit....

The later detent was modified so the the buffer wouldn't hit it before the bolt, so this was only an issue on very early guns. Also cradle do a press in extension for those.

• Like 1

Just sharing the video I took last week with my gun cam.

[HD] RW Operation Wisdom 10.13.2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yAOPKS-L-I&feature=plcp[/url]

Operators: Redwing Team

Mission: Operation Wisdom

Date & Time: 10/13/2012, 1400H

Gamestyle: Pure MilSim Scenarios only.

Camera used: Sony TX10 (Shockproof, dust proof, freeze proof, waterproof)

Camera swivel: Custom made from various airsoft parts

Weapon: KJW Tanio Koba M4 Gbbr

Mission Author: Fox

Redwing Patch Designer: Freon

After Action Review (AAR): Vantage

GunCam Operator: Cj Radge

Edited by Cj Radge
  • Like 1

Hey guys

Im new on this forum and this is my first post! Since english isnt my first language its kinda hard to read through 5000 posts, so i ask here for some help/advice

so here it goes: I have owned a kjw m4 for some time now (not so much skirmishing, mostly backyard shooting) and recently i bought a second kjw m4 (super deal, couldnt resist lol) but the new gun doesnt work right, the gun doesnt cycle properly, it short strokes and sometimes the bolt only moves like 0.5 cm and vents the gas.

i thought the problem was gas leaking in the bolt, hop up or something in the upper, but it turns out its something with the lower reciver since the second gun ( B ) upper works perfect with the old (A )lower and if i put the A upper on the B lower i get the same problem. the B lower sits super tight on both A and B upper, maybe too tight? preventing the bolt from cycling properly?

Any of you guys heard of a similar problem before? I have tried too google this but havnt found any answers

would be very glad for some help :)

Love from Sweden

/ Jonjon

Edited by jonjon

Hmm hammer spring sounds logical, because it sounds like its not shooting at 100% power and the bolt moves kinda slow even in semi mode. I havent looked in detail on how the trigger assembly works but gonna try and see whit my gbb-mechanic-noob-eyes if something is wrong with the spring