Gun failure on the field...

Well, nothing a little fiddling around and cutting out didn't solve.

So today was a warm day for game play. According to my car, it was 92 degrees out at Galt, CA where I was at.

So I was engaging some little kids and my gun stops shooting. I pull the charging handle back and noticed that my loading nozzle wasnt going all the way back as it should. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that part of the back of the loading nozzle (the cylinder area) had jammed onto part of the metal bolt carrier. Needless to say, after fiddling around some, I got my BCG to go all the way forward which allowed me to pop my upper receiver up. I checked my loading nozzle and yeah...the plastic on the cylinder was warped. So I pulled out my knife, carved off the warped part and put the gun back together.

The gun fired without any issues for the rest of the day.

I just wasted another bag of Toytec .25g BBs. I have now approximately used close to 14,000 rounds through my gun.

Only issues I have ran into:

-2 broken elastic bands

-warped cylinder on the loading nozzle.

I have replaced the original hop bucking (just cause I had 5 of them on hand)

Magazines still do not leak...bolt locks 100% of the time and the gun shoots straight and far.

IMG_2156.jpg

Edited by sacairsoftsn00py
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

vertical grips cause the bbs to drop down faster defeating the purpose of a houpup. red dots make u go blind, for everyone u hit it takes away a min of vision so it makes u accurate out of fear. T

Yeah man, we pretty much get it. There's no need to post 20 times about how bad your KJW is. Now, can you please go ahead and delete your account?

News Update: We are back to working on our KJW BCGs. I think we should have a production level prototype finished within the next 10 days so keep your eyes peeled. For those who may have missed th

Posted Images

1st Skirmish Report

When I put the SPR front end on my KJW, I had not taken time to properly adjust my hopup before the game. And to my dismay, I had ZERO adjustment in hopup. My shots would go 40 feet then drop off.

And while I still used it for today, I had broken 2 o-rings on my Cradle Airsoft o-ring piston. So I will now need to source replacements.

Luckily my last failure happened an hour before the game was called, so I had plenty of ammo for my pistol.

Edited by Sam McKenzie

What was the game condition like temperature wise?

I get my shots past 200 feet with .25g BBs with a chopped inner barrel (Its down to 6.25").

Make sure your hop bucking is dry. Lube in the hop (specially if you're using green gas)translates to a minimal hop effect no matter how high you turn it up.

I use propane (it stinks but I get none of that lube in my hop bucking).

Also, prolonged use of the gun on full auto will result in lube being spat into the hop bucking. Do try to shoot semi auto only if possible.

---------------------------

I have had over 10,000 rounds through my Cradle Airsoft O-ring piston and have NOT had any of my O-rings snap on me. Did you install it properly? It has to be aligned properly.

Also, its possible that the bbs are hitting the flash-hider. Read up on my findings about the stock flash hider a few posts above. If the bb is catching onto your flash hider then that might be why you're not getting range.

If your inner barrel isn't centered in the outer barrel's bore...then your shots may be hitting the flash hider.

Edited by sacairsoftsn00py

Good... they didn't find some reason to destroy my gun.

Posting Date Posting Time Drop-off Point 27-May-2010 18:47 Pick Up Service (Kowloon and New Territories)

Date # Location Delivery Status 27-May-2010 Hong Kong Item posted and is being processed. 27-May-2010 Hong Kong Processed for departure. 27-May-2010 Hong Kong The item left Hong Kong for its destination on 28-May-2010 28-May-2010 United States of America Arrived and is being processed. 28-May-2010 United States of America Pending customs inspection. 30-May-2010 United States of America

BTW - is there any magazines out there that don't cost 2x the original price?

I found them on this web page BUT they cost $75... what a load of ######! that's twice the price...

http://www.albertaairsoft.com/store/product.php?id_product=50

Edited by stickyittoyou

If you guys break your o-rings and need a few more just PM me. Sam, Ill get you a few more to you with the other item Ill have in the mail to you on Wednesday so don't sweat finding replacements.

Also, if you are breaking your rings in general PM me. I can likely help you make sure you have everything set up perfectly. Having a loose or off center piston is a sure way to break a ring.

I did some testing last week trying to get my gun to break a ring and while I couldnt get it to snap a ring (likely because Im very careful about installation) I did get it to lock up after 5 mags of continuous full auto fire. I took the gun apart and used a temp gun on the bolt cup and piston. The temperature was - 50 deg F. The whole thing was coated in ice. If you are doing a lot of full auto fire in games you can freeze up the mech and the rings. I have a new style o-ring you can try that worked for me in these extreme testing conditions if you experience these issues. Again, PM me and we will sort you out if you are having any issues.

If you guys break your o-rings and need a few more just PM me. Sam, Ill get you a few more to you with the other item Ill have in the mail to you on Wednesday so don't sweat finding replacements.

Also, if you are breaking your rings in general PM me. I can likely help you make sure you have everything set up perfectly. Having a loose or off center piston is a sure way to break a ring.

I did some testing last week trying to get my gun to break a ring and while I couldnt get it to snap a ring (likely because Im very careful about installation) I did get it to lock up after 5 mags of continuous full auto fire. I took the gun apart and used a temp gun on the bolt cup and piston. The temperature was - 50 deg F. The whole thing was coated in ice. If you are doing a lot of full auto fire in games you can freeze up the mech and the rings. I have a new style o-ring you can try that worked for me in these extreme testing conditions if you experience these issues. Again, PM me and we will sort you out if you are having any issues.

perhaps thats what couldve been the issue last time i went airsofting... when i was full auto firing my gun would lock up... thing is right after switching back to semi it worked perfectly... then i switched to another mag and went full auto till it was empty. i havent taken the time to really test out my rifle with the tightbore you gave me. i still have the shrink tubing on the hop-up but it shoots fairly straight out to longer distances... i think with well placed shots id be able to hit out to about 120ft, after that i dont trust it. everything else on the gun is stock. i should probably get the carrier extension but im gonna hold off. sry for the long period of silence between my last update, been training for that military occupation.

I'm a bit confused after my first skirmish with the KJW. When we had nice weather (+27C) about two weeks ago it was doing nicely 130m/s with 0.25 on green gas, and had no problem to expend the whole mag and lock back the bolt. Now on the skrimish on sunday it was only about 12-15C, and i only got roughly 10 rapid shots out of my mags before the gas was out. This was towards the end when my mags had cooled down by the weather a fair bit. I really tried filling them as much as possible... ??? I think it might have been too cold for it, but other users reports suggest that it should be able to cope with these temps. Did not have chance to chrono it. And the mag valves did not seem sticky. Too bad i didnt test just how many BBs i could fire per gas fill when it was warmer. Well no problem, i'll just wait for hotter weather :P And T_Hum do you think your parts might help with gas consumption? Def will get them all anyways, especially the TB.

Heard from Clare of KJ with regard to replacement parts...

"kjworks

to me

show details 8:38 PM (32 minutes ago)

Hi Shawn,

Part #54 (x2) $300*2=600 TWD

Part #15 (x2) $300*2=600

Part #17 (x1) $60

Part #26 (x2) $200*2=400

………………………………………………………………

These spare parts for M4 cost $53.5 USD.

Shipping fee is $2.5 USD.

We use paypal to deal over seas.

Our paypal account is kjworks@ms47.hinet.net

Thanks!

Kjworks

Clare May 21, 2010"

Payment has been sent. Will see how long it takes for the items to come in. I sent payment about 15 minutes after I received the email.

Items received today. They sent me extras!

Original order was listed above...actual contents of the package includes the following:

Part #54 Bolt Catch (x2)

Part #15 Loading Nozzle(x3)

Part #17 Flute Valve(x2)

Part #26 Elastic Band (x3)

Took about 11 days from when payment was sent to when I received the items. I received 1 extra elastic band, 1 extra flute valve, 1 extra loading nozzle...

Raven1...when you ordered a new lower receiver (after busting your original one), how much did that run you? Also, how much did your new upper receiver cost you? :P

Thanks!

Just got t_hum's 363mm 6.03 barrel today. Installation was pretty easy, once I got the bucking on right.

There was a bit more flatness in the shots, but the barrel still needs to be broken in.

Still having efficiency problems -- getting 8-10 shots per fill in 90F+ weather... Ideas?

Edited by poopstania

Certainly a possibility. Answer the following questions so we can help you more fully:

1. What is the approximate temp of your magazine when you fill it? (Sitting in sun, room temp, etc.)

2. What type of gas are you using? If propane, what brand gas and what adapter are you using?

3. Do you see venting of gas out of the ejection port when you fire? Or clouds of gas from the end of the barrel?

Haha, well, I don't know if you saw back a few pages in thread, but Raven1 walked me through a bunch of possible scenarios, but they were all not the case. Since I bought the gun in November, I have been getting about the same efficiency. I have used two brands of propane -- Worthington and Sentry. I even opened a new can a month ago, and got the same results. The can feels about 70F -- it was 90-something outside today, and it felt a bit cooler than the air. The magazine always feels the same as the ambient temperature when I fill it.

If I fire rapidly, I may see gas coming out of the ejection port -- but I'm not getting valve stick and the plunger inside the cylinder isn't broken. I wish I had another mag to test in it -- if anyone is selling one, I would definitely buy it. Since I don't have a spare mag, I can't verify if it's the magazine or the gun that is the problem.

In easier format:

1. Maybe 80 degrees, depending on what the ambient temperature is. The efficiency never really changes, unless it's really cold -- 8-10 shots in 90F, ~6 shots in 20F.

2. Worthington and Sentry brand propane, with Airsoft Innovations adapter -- both full and used cans produce same results.

3. In rapid semi shots, I may see gas coming out of the ejection port.

Thanks for your time.

Just received a package of two KJ M4 CQB's. :D

Opened mine and tried it out indoors. What surprised the most, was how solid this rifle is. My WE M4 is also nice, but this is awesome. It's built like a tank, both the gun and the magazine. And not a single leak from the magazine. Promising. I still remember the first time I filled the WE magazines... Shooting feels great, even though I'm going to keep my WE with it's CO2 mags around for colder weather. Also the accuracy at short range was laser accurate. Interesting to see (later on) how well the hopup works. Also the RIS system in this CQB model seems solid, with no real wobble. And the one point sling mount at the base of the receiver seems really sturdy. Actually the sling mount was the main reason I chose the new CQB model.

Next sunday I'll hope to be able to test it outside. After that I think I'll install all the "Cradle Goodies" and the 16 inch L119A1 barrel with the madbull inner barrel.

Couldn't be happier. :D

I fired it first as it was out of the box. The semiautomatic works like a charm, but with full automatic the gun stops firing after few bursts. It seems it doesn't charge the hammer. I need to charge from the handle and it works fine after that for a few more bursts, and stops again.

I thought the gun just needs some love & lube. The receiver pin was one tough *bramston pickle* to push out. But got it finally and then I lubed the internals and the piston etc. properly with silicon oil. I checked the magazine valve too, and it opens and shuts really smooth. I lubed it just in case, but still the automatic is a bit unreliable, even after putting the gun back together. I use Cybergun's "Extreme Blowback Gas - with APS3", which is essentially Green Gas with silicon (we don't have propane here in Finland that we could use in these guns).

Any idea what could cause this erratic behaviour in full auto?

Edited by Lupus78

I'm a bit confused after my first skirmish with the KJW. When we had nice weather (+27C) about two weeks ago it was doing nicely 130m/s with 0.25 on green gas, and had no problem to expend the whole mag and lock back the bolt. Now on the skrimish on sunday it was only about 12-15C, and i only got roughly 10 rapid shots out of my mags before the gas was out. This was towards the end when my mags had cooled down by the weather a fair bit. I really tried filling them as much as possible... ??? I think it might have been too cold for it, but other users reports suggest that it should be able to cope with these temps. Did not have chance to chrono it. And the mag valves did not seem sticky. Too bad i didnt test just how many BBs i could fire per gas fill when it was warmer. Well no problem, i'll just wait for hotter weather :P And T_Hum do you think your parts might help with gas consumption? Def will get them all anyways, especially the TB.

After I first installed my cradle airsoft piston I didn't locktite the screw into the piston and as it wormed its way out I had similar problems, but they went away when it was tightened up, so check your bolt and check that the piston is flush with the bolt carrier.

I fired it first as it was out of the box. The semiautomatic works like a charm, but with full automatic the gun stops firing after few bursts. It seems it doesn't charge the hammer. I need to charge from the handle and it works fine after that for a few more bursts, and stops again.

I thought the gun just needs some love & lube. The receiver pin was one tough *bramston pickle* to push out. But got it finally and then I lubed the internals and the piston etc. properly with silicon oil. I checked the magazine valve too, and it opens and shuts really smooth. I lubed it just in case, but still the automatic is a bit unreliable, even after putting the gun back together. I use Cybergun's "Extreme Blowback Gas - with APS3", which is essentially Green Gas with silicon (we don't have propane here in Finland that we could use in these guns).

Any idea what could cause this erratic behaviour in full auto?

Someone had a similar problem a few pages back that Raven1 solved, IIRC is the full auto sear that is slightly out of alignment.

Hmmm. Weird thing is, that when I press the magazine with my hand from the bottom, the full auto works great. It's like the magazine isn't seated completely when locked down...

Yup. Just tested another magazine. Works 100% fine in full auto when I press the magazine.

Gotta try to add some tape to the magwell...

Edited by Lupus78

Has anybody of you guys compared a inokatsu 2009 superversion (with Prowin Magazin) with a KJW M4?

Yes, owned both.

Externals, weight, realistic look, capability of heavier recoil than KJW - Inokatsu wins this hands-down. Very impressive build to the body and such.

Actually functioning out of the box with reliable mags, bolt stop, and stable firing - KJW blows the Ino out of the water.

Out-of-the-box, the KJW wins for function and how a GBBr should reliably work. You can make an Ino or other WA-based gun work.....with lots of time and lots of money. Personally, I'd rather save both and just have a rifle that works. Pro-Win mag is overrated IMO. Weak feed lips, for starters

My intent on buying them was for a training rifle to practice drills and the like for real-steel and perhaps to skirmish with eventually...........the KJW stayed with me and the Ino has been sold, if that tells you anything.

Let me know of any specific questions you may have to expand on this further.

Edited by AustinWolv

Thanks Austinflow. I have an KJW M4 and i get now an offer for a inokatsu super version. So i play with the thoughts to sell my kjw and buy the inokatsu.

But when i read this, i think i kept the KJW M4.

(Sorry for offtopic, what are the problems which you have with your inokatsu? maybe you could answer per pm? )

I just tried the push the mag in method of making the auto work better, it seems to work whenever my auto wants to fuzz up. Normally, my auto works fine though, even with a chipped piston cup. Also, I tried putting a layer of electrical tape on the base of the mag to see if that would help. It make the wobble go away but altered the consitency of each shot. Some would have normal pressure, others would have weaker ones. So I just took it off. It works fine without it.

Also, has anyone else who has experienced a broken ear on their upper receiver experienced any problems with their hop up or anything else? Nothing has gone wrong with mine. Im still shooting perfectly and I just wanted to know if I should expect something.