Samuel the TDC mod adds a grub screw Top Dead Center over your hop-up arm that allows you almost infinite adjustment on your hop-up, unlike the 6 settings your stock hop-up gives you. Best thing to do when you get it is to turn your stock hop-up off and adjust from the grub screw, I'm getting about 239ft max range (where my BBs are landing) on a nice flat trajectory, and max effective range right around the 200-210ft mark. All of this with a .28g BB at ~320fps.

If you search through my posts in this thread you will see where I provide images and a write up on it.

Edited by frogfish
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

vertical grips cause the bbs to drop down faster defeating the purpose of a houpup. red dots make u go blind, for everyone u hit it takes away a min of vision so it makes u accurate out of fear. T

Yeah man, we pretty much get it. There's no need to post 20 times about how bad your KJW is. Now, can you please go ahead and delete your account?

News Update: We are back to working on our KJW BCGs. I think we should have a production level prototype finished within the next 10 days so keep your eyes peeled. For those who may have missed th

Posted Images

Hello again t_hum. I am enjoying my KJW M4 now that it isn't broke. The only thing I found wrong with it was the picture below. The metal is somehow seperating from itself.

Link: http://img855.imageshack.us/i/dsc02054u.jpg/

What is the TDC mod?

I cant quite tell what Im looking at in your picture but it looks like you are referring to the underside of the charging handle where the guide rod goes through. Yes, this area is thin. Ive seen them exactly like yours, better, and worse. All seemed to work fine.

The Top Dead Center mod (TDC for short) was described 5-6 pages back but in a nutshell its a way to make the hop more consistent and more adjustable. Read details posted by Frogfish on those pages.

EDIT: Frog, you beat me to it by sixty seconds. Also, Prodigy's upper was modded tonight. Looking sexy.

Edited by t_hum

Good to hear, it is a super simple sexy mod.

I thought I said this somewhere but I can't find it now.

To all KJW M4 Owners;

If you are not 100% satisfied with your hop-up, try the TDC mod, it's cheap, it WORKS, and it does nothing to harm your weapon or it's function. Heck you can go back to the stock hop-up system if you prefer, you don't have to even remove the grub screw to do it.

It's been a few weeks now, I've used my KJW twice since I had the mod done and everything is still working the same as when I wrote my first comments, very satisfied with the weapon, best GIM GBBR experience I have had.

Also T_Hum heads up, there are a few guys in NC who own KJW M4s that had never even heard of Cradle airsoft, they are going to be putting in some orders in a bit I think.

Edited by frogfish

What way do I turn the hop up for the greatest range and accuracy to the left with the arrow or the right?

Also, I was thinking about getting a rail system to put a bipod on it for my DMR idea. Do you think I need a TDC mod and a 6.01mm inner barrel for greater accuracy or should I get 0.30g BBs? Plus, do I need a NPAS kit if I was shooting mostly from long range?

Here's what I am thinking about getting:

Part No. 09 (optional): http://www.ratech.com.tw/store/product.php?id_product=194

NPAS Kit (possible): http://www.ratech.com.tw/store/product.php?id_product=188

6.01mm barrel (possible): http://www.ratech.com.tw/store/product.php?id_product=192

Finally, I am thinking about getting Bioshot 0.30g BBs, do you know of any more accurate biodegradable BBs than these?

Edited by _Samuel_

If you read the thread you'll see that the 6.03s are actually doing better than the 6.01 tight bores.

As for the NPAS I didn't even know RATech made one, it's certainly something I would be interested in for when I have higher power limits, but Cradle airsoft velocity reducer is more than adequate for my needs, and produces incredible shot to shot consistency (While testing with KSC perfect BBs there was less than a 2 FPS variation over 10 shots).

You will want a cradle airsoft bolt extension for sure, so contact T_hum about that.

As for your hop-up you will want to rotate it following the arrow for more hop, however you will need to stop it before it reaches it's max setting, otherwise it will reset to the lowest setting. It can be tricky at first to know what setting is the max, if that is what you need for your .3g BBs. If you can't get enough hop out of it look about 15 or so pages back for a link to the shrink wrap mod, I asked for it so you again can just search for my posts in this thread. This mod adds circumference to your hop arm so that it will engage the nub more.

I do recommend the TDC mod if you are trying to make a DMR out of it. In it's stock form (including with the shrink wrap mod) the hop-up just isn't consistent enough.

If you do get the TDC mod done, turn your stock hop-up off, then adjust using the grub screw only.

Edited by frogfish

The RAtech npas isn't very well made. They break quite quickly as has been documented in this thread several times. Part 9 is optional. Eventually the stock seal will crack and you'll gave to replace it. You can do that seal or the x-ring piston we make. I haven't heard any accounts of people using the red seal so I can't comment.

We also do TBBs in 6.01 and 6.03. Has anyone used the RAtech tight bores?

The RAtech npas isn't very well made. They break quite quickly as has been documented in this thread several times. Part 9 is optional. Eventually the stock seal will crack and you'll gave to replace it. You can do that seal or the x-ring piston we make. I haven't heard any accounts of people using the red seal so I can't comment.

We also do TBBs in 6.01 and 6.03. Has anyone used the RAtech tight bores?

agree about the ra tech NPAS its nPOS works like ######, faulty design with a weak spring, I got it and it broke on me took the gun apart 2 times thinking its the hop up until I figured out the prob. The ra tech barrel is however working very well.

What way do I turn the hop up for the greatest range and accuracy to the left with the arrow or the right?

Also, I was thinking about getting a rail system to put a bipod on it for my DMR idea. Do you think I need a TDC mod and a 6.01mm inner barrel for greater accuracy or should I get 0.30g BBs? Plus, do I need a NPAS kit if I was shooting mostly from long range?

Here's what I am thinking about getting:

Part No. 09 (optional): http://www.ratech.com.tw/store/product.php?id_product=194

NPAS Kit (possible): http://www.ratech.com.tw/store/product.php?id_product=188

6.01mm barrel (possible): http://www.ratech.com.tw/store/product.php?id_product=192

Finally, I am thinking about getting Bioshot 0.30g BBs, do you know of any more accurate biodegradable BBs than these?

technically if u really want a capable DMR you need all of it...everything... tight bore (a longer tight bore than KJ stock size).. TDC, some type of fps controller depending on ur site limits, and a quality heavyweight bb .28 and above.

my question to u is. how do u plan on playing, if u just want a gbb weapon that can reach out and touch someone but small like a traditional rifle, then u dont need a bipod, scope or the movie stuff. if u legitimately want something with crazy range and good ROF so u can hide in the brush super stealthy. i honestly would suggest a marui M14.

im just trying to get a better grasp on ur intentions

then u dont need a bipod, scope or the movie stuff. if u legitimately want something with crazy range and good ROF so u can hide in the brush super stealthy.

You don't need any of that stuff in airsoft EVER, it's just for looks or personal preference. Scopes will help you see your hits at range, but then again your eyes will be able to see as well at the ranges we engage at. Bipods are pointless in airsoft they are just for looks or if you tend to go prone commonly, and stay in one spot for long, it can help wield longer or heavier weapons in prone.

I'm also a bit biased (and ###### at the subject due to kiddies with 40-50RPS weapons) but a good ROF for all situations is semi. In a GBBR cool down and other negative effects on range and accuracy are multiplied with rapid semi shots, they grow exponentially with full auto, and combine that with a 30rd mag and you need to have good trigger control.

With a KJW M4 externally you will NEED a free floating RIS to keep pressure off of the barrel assembly to improve shot to shot consistency, everything else is just for looks/personal preference. Internally get everything T_Hum makes and throw it all together, then try every type of high quality BB you can get your hands on from .25g up to .30g and see what your replica likes best, while your at it try multiple gas types, Green Gas, Propane, and Duster. High performance is not something you can just go out and buy, or buy parts to fit a cookie cutter build, it takes time and trial and error to get things right, and even if you were to buy all of Cradle Airsoft's performance enhancing parts the tolerances on YOUR weapon may prefer the stock parts or something from another company.

Edited by frogfish
  • Like 1

I would rather not have a Tokyo Marui gun and I already have the KJW M4 so why would I return it? They are high quality plastic, but plastic is plastic in my opinion, I relaly don't care for it. Metal is more solid and I like the feel of it more.

Alright, well I might just buy from Cradleairsoft since it is a U.S. company and I know I can trust them, atleast I hope so.:P So, do you sell the TDC mod and a RIS handguard T_Hum and what is the warranty on your products? I wish you had some way I could order online t_hum, I want the site developed faster. :lol:

Well, I would want a bipod for really long range shots if I needed some precision accuracy. Also, a scope would help zoom in and I wouldn't have to wear my glasses if I used a scope.

To frogfish: How exactly do you install the TDC mod and where does it go and should I just get all the parts from Cradle? I would like a replacement rubber internal o-ring too since I heard it wears down easily.

Edited by _Samuel_

They are high quality plastic, but plastic is plastic in my opinion, I relaly don't care for it. Metal is more solid and I like the feel of it more.

Metal /= strength, most bodies are made of pot metal which can have a weaker build than plastic, I have seen more broken metal bodies on newer replicas, than broken plastic bodies on TMs.

RIS handguard

For this you will either need to get a socom gear rail in the states, or order something you like from asia. I can recommend a 12 or 9.5 inch DD (Daniel Defense) RIS 2 style, or a Troy TRX extreme clone, other rails styles are nice, but very heavy. If you are trying to mimic a precision weapon LaRue is famous for making Precision weapons and there are plenty of rail clones available.

To frogfish: How exactly do you install the TDC mod and where does it go and should I just get all the parts from Cradle? I would like a replacement rubber internal o-ring too since I heard it wears down easily.

The TDC hop-up is a modification, not a part, you will need to send you upper into T_Hum for modification. Look back about 5 pages and you will see an image of my upper in a CNC router (or some other fancy machine) getting the hole drilled for the grub screw.

As for cradle parts you will need the bolt carrier extension, the other things you will want based on what your goals are, I don't know your local velocity limits so the velocity reducer may be nice, and as for other parts the stock stuff is fine until it breaks, you may want to get it now, you may want to wait.

T_Hum will have pre-installed parts in Cradle airsoft made bolt carrier groups shortly you may want to use it stock until those are ready.

On another Topic:

those of you who are getting trades engraved, where are you going to get them done, I want BCM trades on my upper and bolt, but can on;y find jewelry engravers.

Edited by frogfish

I sent both of you guys a message.

I will be using a Leapers 4x32 AO scope if I hadn't posted it already. I am not new to the airsoft realm, I just have never found a place and a team to go airsoft. I am thinking about creating a team though.

Do you guys know of any good places to go airsoft in Missouri?

Thank you.

Are you looking for trades with depth or just a marking? If you just want a marking you can find a laser marking/engraving shop to do it. Should be easy to find.

Laser engraving or chemical etching is what I'm looking for, but I had forgotten what the laser process was called so was just googling "metal engraving (my zip code)". I'll try broadening my search area as well or may try looking for something listed in the phone book rather than online.

EDIT: Bam there we go, trophy shop down my street does laser engraving (I didn't even know it was there)! I'll give them a call and see what they can do.

Edited by frogfish

There are two different laser types out there. CO2 lasers can "engrave" most painted metals. "marking" is typically done with a YaG laser on metals. Its a different wavelength and gives different results. I think the CO2 engaving is more what youre looking for and is more common for a shop like the one you found to have.

Alright, please reply to the message I sent both of you. So, do I just need higher scope mounts on my gun if it won't sit on the rail correctly?

Also, do you guys know of any specific mil-spec RIS handguards and my stock handguard isn't throwing everything off. The only inaccuracy results I am getting is probably from the stock barrel, hop up being adjusted wrong, and I might need heavier BBs. They are curving and arn't flying start for that long. They start falling at about 150 feet and I am using propane in it if that makes any difference.

Edited by _Samuel_

So, do I just need higher scope mounts on my gun if it won't sit on the rail correctly?

Depends on what you meant by "won't sit ont eh rail correctly".

Also, do you guys know of any specific mil-spec RIS handguards
Daniel Defense 9.5 and 12 inch RIS 2 and RIS 2 FSP are both part of the Block 2 program. You will however often see precision weapons with LaRue rails. Knights Armament style drop in rails are standard on M4s.

and my stock handguard isn't throwing everything off.

I find this hard to believe, take your rifle placing the stock on the ground and hold the body firmly in place, then push on the barrel. You will notice it move a few mm, even 1 MM in play is enoguh to durastically throw things off.

The only inaccuracy results I am getting is probably from the stock barrel, hop up being adjusted wrong, and I might need heavier BBs. They are curving and arn't flying start for that long. They start falling at about 150 feet and I am using propane in it if that makes any difference.

150 ft is pretty damned good range for a stock hop-up and a barrel that length.

Samuel, I think for now your best course of action may be to run .25 or .28 BB's and go skirmish with the gun a few times in its stock form. After you've played and gamed with it a bit you'll have a better idea of what it can and cant do and what areas you want to improve. No point in throwing money at a problem that for your style of play and requirements may not be a problem at all.

Alright, please reply to the message I sent both of you. So, do I just need higher scope mounts on my gun if it won't sit on the rail correctly?

Also, do you guys know of any specific mil-spec RIS handguards and my stock handguard isn't throwing everything off. The only inaccuracy results I am getting is probably from the stock barrel, hop up being adjusted wrong, and I might need heavier BBs. They are curving and arn't flying start for that long. They start falling at about 150 feet and I am using propane in it if that makes any difference.

the KJW GBB m4 thread may not be the best place to get scope type answers, since this thread is dedicated to the KJ gun. I would suggest checking out the sniper threads pertaining to scope type concerns. as for hopup and barrel info, a quick search within this thread should provide u some answers, everyone has gone over the hopup issues many times, which is what lead to Thums TDC mod.

189 pages and a whole Wealth of information and I know now that I want, no NEED, a KJW M4!

To be honest I have learnt more about arisoft GBB's in the last 189 page (at least a week on and off) than I have in 7 years of playing!!

Anyways, off to the internet I go to find me a stockist of KJW M4's. Really looking forward to giving it a go and Will definately be picking up some Cradle Airsoft parts when I pick one up!

Loveing the community spirit here too guys!

J.

This forum needs a disclaimer: "Reading this thread will cause you to buy a KJW M4". It's happened at least half a dozen times now.

Glad you got through it, #5. If you need help tracking down a rifle just ask. There are guys on here in every continent who may know the best place to find one.

This forum needs a disclaimer: "Reading this thread will cause you to buy a KJW M4". It's happened at least half a dozen times now.

Glad you got through it, #5. If you need help tracking down a rifle just ask. There are guys on here in every continent who may know the best place to find one.

It really should have a disclaimer! And i would recommend anyone who is thinking of buying this platform to read the entire thread (There are a few posts you can skip through) on the whole, very informative and persuasive

I dont even own this rifle yet and I think I love it more than my Marui SOCOM! I've been promising myself the new TM Scar L for some months but that may have been trumped at the last. Hopefully it will take away the bad taste I have in my mouth from previously owning a WE m4 aswell.

If anyone on here is going to Copehill down Fibua this weekend then look out for some strange guy tearing towards you screaming "CAN I HAVE A GO?!"

J.