Escape and Evade bag

Billy Bob the Sniper

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All the condom carrying water stuff is BS. Try it then come post about it. It fails

You could probably carry that if you only filled it 1 third up or it might be useful if you needed to store water in your house incase the water supply became irradiated or something.

Gah, now I wanna make a kit. There are a bunch of military surplus stores nearby, so I'm gonna buy some stuff for a kit that can be used at home and on the road. There are four humans, two cats, and two cars under our roof.

What I've thought of so far:

-flashlight x2

-extra AAA, AA, C, and D batteries

-extra flashlight bulbs

-swiss army knife

-water purification tablets

-water bottles x5

-$100 cash

-MRE x5

-chemlight x5

-lighter

-waterproof matches

-first aid kit

-non-perishable cat food

-scissors

-duct tape

-regular blanket

-compass

-super glue

-aspirin

-those heat-keeping blankets (?) x6

-extra duffel bag

-gasoline (in a safe container elsewhere in case we need to go)

-cat carrier (in case we need to go)

I didn't include stuff like extra clothes because that can be grabbed on the fly...

Anything I should add/get rid of?

In all seriousness, the SAS survival guide should be a packed in every "bug-out" bag.

Quite possibly one of the better publications i've read.

The Collins Gem version of that and Food for Free are awesome. Great fun for taking out on walks to fiddle about in the undergrowth when you stop for lunch. :)

Living in a city my survival kit consists of a wallet with cash and cards, mobile phone and keys to my house. My concession to 'stuff' is a Inova microlight and USB key with my important personal docs encrypted on it.

I've come across the principle of escape and evade bags before, although I know them as BOBs (Bug Out Bags)

I don't currently have one, but I'm reckoning I will have a perminent one set up once I start driving (incase of being stuck in snow ect)

but I do currently (till the end of the summer holidays) have my BOJ (Bug Out Jacket) set up for a spesific scenario, being that the my explorer leader is going to call us with about 10 minuits notice, appear at our door, get the permission to camp forms filled, and then dump us at the local scout campsite with whatever we are stood up in (no bags, no webbing!).

so I filled a jacket with useful stuff:

1x leatherman multi-tool

1x 44 pattern metal mug

1x 500g bag of rice

1x brew kit (instant coffee. sugar, hot chocolate mix)

1x packet of instant soup

1x bottle of tobasco sauce

1x bar of kendal mint cake

1x survival bag (a bag which keeps you warm)

1x poncho/tarp

1x roll of assorted cord/bungee

1x mini-first aid kit

1x small torch

1x survival tin (mainly containing fire lighting gear)

obviously this is set up for a scenario where I can be sure of certain things (plenty of water, no need to navigate, no need to signal help, and help on hand in the event of serious injury)

I've been long pondering a bug-out bag. And the main reason I would get one is fire. In case the apartment catches fire, in case I'm up at my parents' cabin and a forest fire breaks out, &c. Of course, earthquakes are another real possibility (I'm sure we've had at least a dozen today, not that I could actually feel any of them).

For the time being, my hunting pack is working as a sort of ersatz BOB. Because I live close to my family and I know they have lots of food, I don't worry much about food. Further, my parents live on a well, not on city sewage, so as long as the power holds we have clean water. Mostly, my BOB consists of fire starting essentials, a Nalgene bottle (in which the fire starting bits rest), and a hunting IFAK and trauma kit. I also have not an insignificant amount of rope and para-cord in the kit, my shemagh, Leatherman, boo-boo kit, softshell, sweater, boonie hat, my 16-ga, my AR, my Glock 34, extra ammo (shotshells, 5.56mm, 9mm), unloaded magazines, &c. &c. &c.

If something happens that's sizable enough to warrant my needing to get the hell out of Dodge, I have two primary escape routes planned. Both take me far from civilization and plant me in the midst of nature's (and cattle's) bounty. And one has a snow-fed artificial lake (created by a dam) literally about 100 feet away. So water and food are no problem, so long as I can make it out of town.

Regardless, I haven't been particularly serious about the need for such a kit and, as a result, it isn't really well thought out, well laid out, or particularly well-planned. Hopefully, since I won't be big game hunting this year, I can get that adjusted.

EDIT: A wee list of everything. Constructive criticism encouraged:

Fire starter:

-Blast match

-Dryer lint

-Water proof container (Nalgene bottle)

-Waterproof matches

Hydration and food:

-3L CamelBak

-USGI canteen with canteen cup

-Whatever can be found

-Water purifier

Navigation:

-State maps (Montana, Idaho, Wyoming), city map, region-specific topo maps

-Compass

Comms:

-Cell phone

-Emergency whistle

-Signaling mirror

Clothing (in addition to on-my-back):

-Sweater

-Soft shell

-Poncho

-Boonie hat

-Watch cap

-Three changes of t-shirts and underwear

-Additional pair of trousers

-Three pair socks

Misc.:

-SureFire E2D-LED

-Large pack of SureFire CR123 batteries

-Shemagh

-Parang

-Leatherman

-Utility knife

-Folding knife

-Cash money, a couple hundred dollars, in $20 bills

-Basic gun cleaning kit, including bore snakes and gun goup.

-Important documents (DL, CCW permit, insurance card(s), &c.)

Firearms:

-G34 (in pack or holster); three loaded magazines, three unloaded (in pack)

-M6A1 (in Sneaky Bag or openly); two loaded magazines, four unloaded (in pack)

-1622 (in a take-down soft case)

Ammunition:

-100 rounds 9mm NATO (plus ammunition in loaded magazines)

-200 rounds 5.56mm NATO (plus ammunition in loaded magazines)

-50 rounds 16-gauge

The BOB in question would be a large duffel, containing a large back pack with most of the aforementioned items in it. This would supplement the items I keep in my car (truck rifle, additional ammunition, blankets, roadside emergency kit, snow shovel, tire chains, binos, &c.).

Until you've actually been in a car that's physically incapable of dealing with dodgy weather you really won't understand just how helpless a driver can be. :huh:

This is where I feel lucky - I have a Land Rover so have yet to encounter this kind of weather. :P

In terms of grab bags, I keep a box in the landy with this stuff:

2 x 1.5 ltr bottles of water

pack of cereal bars

Sleeping bag

breakdown kit

First aid kit

Webbing strops + tow rope

Waterproof jacket

Just common sense really.

I guess the only things you could add to that would be a fire extinguisher and rescue tool type jobby. A shovel is handy in the snow as digging out is no fun without one. I do a fair amount of winter driving into the Highlands to go skiing and numpties are everywhere getting stuck and crashing. People really tend to underestimate how dodgy it can be especially as you get higher up.

I really like the idea, unfortunately the image is tainted for me by the types of people who would be sure to pack their tinfoil helmet first. And I really don't fancy being one of those.

Quoted for truth and comedy reasons.

Just common sense really.

Yup.

Think we have to draw the line somewhere between having a few useful items to hand and preparing for Z-Day.

Just look at past events/disasters etc and think what would realistically have been useful in those situations.

For all of the disasters in the western world the government of the country has always put on some kind of aid/emergency shelter + distribution centres although they are often too late, unequiped/prepared. So to get to them you will need a radio (small, simple wind-up type) to find out where they are (should the power be knocked out etc) a map of the area and personal documents, contacts list and identification.

If travelling (which is more than likely) then you'l need the correct tool items to get your vehicle through whatever terrain/weather is typical for your area.

Other bits are fairly obvious, torch, multi tool, money, change of clothes, food and water etc.

I really like the idea, unfortunately the image is tainted for me by the types of people who would be sure to pack their tinfoil helmet first. And I really don't fancy being one of those.

HA! thats your first mistake , you dont pack a tin foil helmet, you would be wearing it! :P

What we need in this situation is a face in hands, slowly shaking head in disbelief smiley...

:mellow:

Seriously, I worry about how many people seem to think that the best way to deal with an emergency is to shoot it. A lot. :rolleyes:

:mellow:

Seriously, I worry about how many people seem to think that the best way to deal with an emergency is to shoot it. A lot. :rolleyes:

well after all it is a Just In Case haha. But seriously, in an emergency, people's morals and ethics would break down, I'd rather have a deterent to stop them than being unarmed.

Archived