Escape and Evade bag

Billy Bob the Sniper

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:mellow:

Seriously, I worry about how many people seem to think that the best way to deal with an emergency is to shoot it. A lot. :rolleyes:

Shooting the problem? I can't shoot a hurricane or an earthquake or a blizzard, can I? Nope. But I can shoot those pesky looters who decide that my home looks appetizing or the women next door look like they could use a lil' sausage.

EDIT: Oh.

BEARS.

The entire point of this thread to discuss things one might need for what ifs, not just everyday stuff like having car insurance or whatever.

Indeed it is.

I really don't see how a bag full of guns is particularly useful.

Furthermore, even assuming one gun might come in handy for shooting looters I'm not sure why you'd really need more than one.

If you're gonna start talking about a gun for self-defence and a rifle for shooting large game and a shotgun for small game and... etc... then you're way outside the scope of an E&E bag and into full-blown survivalist territory.

Rifle for defense, pistol to back up the rifle, the shotgun because it was awfully expensive, is awfully light (and it works pretty damned well in a defensive situation with the proper ammunition, too).

And if the situation goes from E&E to out-right survivalism, it's better to be prepared for the latter than simply for the former.

If no looters show up you might feel like you wasted your time.

Course, if the king of England shows up...

I think in general 99% of people own firearms for enjoyment and sport, but they save that 1% as extra insurance for when the cards are down.

and even if the guy has a bigger gun, I'd still prefer to have somthing to answer back with then have nothing at all.

The question I'd have if you were carrying a pistol, rifle and shotgun plus all your other survival stuff is how quickly can you cover ground with all that kit and can you actually sustain three days of movement (or whatever you are planning) effectively carrying it?

To my mind having a E&E bag or BoB or whatever you want to call it implies somewhere to actually end up and that somewhere is going to have to have all the stuff you need. A lot of this 'here are the contents of my escape kit' seem to neglect that important aspect and focus on the romantic fantasy. Jagd has sort of had a stab at it but if as his post implies there is next to nothing in the 'wilderness' he intends to travel into then he'd be pretty boned after a couple of weeks at the most. To make it viable you'd at least need to cache stuff there ahead of time.

Jagd has sort of had a stab at it but if as his post implies there is next to nothing in the 'wilderness' he intends to travel into then he'd be pretty boned after a couple of weeks at the most. To make it viable you'd at least need to cache stuff there ahead of time.

Farms and ranches constitute "next to nothing"? :huh:

:P

The population density in Montana is 6.2 people per square mile.

I was looking for the density where I live and it was 3.2ish I thought that must be wrong. It is madness that Montana is more densely populated than Medway.

Then I realised that there was a comma, not a dot.

That's right, 3275 people per square mile.

500 times more densely populated.

Around here there are plenty of things for me to eat in an emergency, chavs for example.

You sure have low standards for a cannibal.

Anyway, I'm sure we've all been in one of those situations where you think "Gee, right now I could really use a pistol, and a rifle, and a shotgun, and another pistol, and another rifle, and 50 pounds of ammo... and another shotgun." :unsure:

Anyway, I'm sure we've all been in one of those situations where you think "Gee, right now I could really use a pistol, and a rifle, and a shotgun, and another pistol, and another rifle, and 50 pounds of ammo... and another shotgun." :unsure:

Hell yes.

During the big Zombie Apocalypse of '58.

[/bill]

Archived