Vest for heavy load

ardrummer292

I'd also like to add until they've been in the field a while no-one will have an accurate idea of how the reduction in denier will effect the vest's longevity. As much as fan boys will harp on about the weight saving, once you're under xxx pounds of ammunition and armour I doubt you'll be able to say "wow, i can really feel the difference".

I don't doubt its a very capable platform and one of the better options available. While it has some minor advancements, it doesn't strike me as the second coming of jesus either. Consider it the CIRAS's half-brother. They've got the same father afterall.

Why is everyone who likes it a fan boy, I really haven't heard that many people talk about it. As for them not being fielded, they are replacing the CIRAS for SOCOM. Pictures will most likely to be slow to come out about new SF piece of gear. Same with user testimonials. I can tell you that I like mine and any other feedback I have heard about it as been good.

I agree with you that is the CIRAS's half-brother, but a more refined brother at that.

I've got to wonder if getting a soft armor carrier to wear under the MBSS would help any. Some of the older guys wear back braces on ops, and I reckon a cranked-down PACA or similar would have a similar effect. Yes, heat dissipation will be sacrificed, but wearing armor is uncomfortable regardless.

I've noticed a difference wearing the MBSS with a PACA for sure, and as an older guy (36 this year) I can attest to the virtues of the additional back support is affords... I wear one for my Gunner load out with a couple of SAW Pouches and an Admin Panel on the front, and a MAP and Radio Pouch on the rear.

Another altrnative might be an old fashioned PASGT vest - it's got a tiny bit of Molle real estate for SAW Pouches and a Radio, and room for the MAP on the back panel...

I'd also like to add until they've been in the field a while no-one will have an accurate idea of how the reduction in denier will effect the vest's longevity. As much as fan boys will harp on about the weight saving, once you're under xxx pounds of ammunition and armour I doubt you'll be able to say "wow, i can really feel the difference".

Being specifically designed for SOCOM, all the stress points were reinforced. Also, it was meant to enable the user to be more functional. Since it's SOCOM, if the RBAV wears down it can be replaced easily.

So far I haven't heard any negatives on the RBAV durability-wise.

Also remember most things for the armed forces are:

- made by the lowest bidder.

- never really replaced, you are generally told to "make do" for an indefinate amount of time until the Q feels generous and does a whole batch of replacements in one go.

Personally I find that the 600D nylon doesn't take the wear and tear unless its got a waterproofing layer underneath, and even then the nylon frays at the corners after a small amount of use. I dunno if 600D would hold plates and soft armor.

In total, LevelIV SAPI + LevelIII soft armor with a 1000D vest is about 10kg (~20 Lb), add 3L water, usual soldiery maintenance stuff, 6 mags loaded you are looking at an extra 10kg. Then comms, 2X smokes, 2X grenades, extra mags, plasti-cuffs, and sidearm, thats easy another 10kg.

If you make pouches with 500D/600D nylon it doesn't retain its shape, making quick magazine insertions difficult. Even pouches in 1000D isn't that great.

I have some pouches made from solid nylon straps cut into dimension, those are the best pouches to date.

Well, after quite a bit of research, I went with a BHI LBE harness. Just finished loading her up, and I noticed the distribution of weight really does make a huge difference. I'll give it a thorough AAR after this weekend, although I doubt I'll run armor due to the heat. No point in making myself a casualty for the sake of increased training value.

I'd also like to add until they've been in the field a while no-one will have an accurate idea of how the reduction in denier will effect the vest's longevity.

A buddy of mine is using one in Ranger Batt and he's mentioned no problems with it after a tour to Iraq so far. He did say the release system was sloppy and wiggled itself loose though. Also, his RLCS M4 pouches had holes in them when they were issued to him.

• 3 months later...

I still can't get my head round 27,000 rounds.

The 50-60lbs still seems high even then

6L of water - 6kg

27,000 rounds 5.4kg

extra batteries 0.5kg

comms 1kg

pistol 0.5kg

I can't see it being much above 15kg If you could put some of it in a good pack with easy access you'd be much better off since they are designed to carry weight.

Well, some people feel the need for armor as it adds weight, and make the weight more realistic. Also in airsoft, I find it way more practical to carry my own load, though I do not carry that much, mainly ammo and water. However, I would still carry everything I need myself, if, in the end of the day, I need more water and dont have any, I'll ask. In real life combat, I'd have the gunner try to carry as little as possible to spread out the weight over the team, or squad.

But that is still some weight he has to carry, and if he wants to then he can.

Maybe he should take out the armor then? If he doesn't like all the weight then maybe its the armor. If its not then, still he needs to lessen his load.

You've misunderstood the opening post.

He's not complaining about what he is carrying, he only wants advice on how to better manage and carry that equipment.

If he's got that armor in there, it's probably for a good reason.

If he rocks 6L of water (Which makes perfectly good sense) then he's probably got a good reason.

If he needs that much ammo, it'll be for a good reason.

Sorry to break it to you, but the OP doesn't give a toss. He's found his solution, and from the sounds of it, it works for him. He'll be back if it doesn't. He doesn't care what you think about how much ammo he carries.

Sorry if I'm coming off rude/harsh, but I'm just calling it how I see it.

Archived