TM FN Five-seveN GBB

Was reading more on the deforming and eventually snapping aluminum outer barrels, seems it's more common than we thought:

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.ph...8974&page=5

Funny how the parts made of metal are the first ones to go. There's mention of a French forum where a lot of the cases were reported, however no link to it was made. I checked mine just now and there's already considerable wear despite having only gone through like 10 mags. Then again, its averaging 30 C during the day lately. I've applied the silicon gasket preemptive solution just now, will find out in a couple weeks maybe if it works. When my outer barrel decides to fly out during use, I'll know the fix didn't work and I'd be in need of a stainless outer one. -_-

I'm not exactly clear where the wear is supposed to take place. I've shot maybe 500 rounds with propane and I don't see any "wear" issues. I read the airsoftcanada thread and I might try out some 134a, as I don't want this gun to bite the dust. Although, considering all the wear problems they insist that it doesn't effect the performance (yet!).

I'm debating whether I should get a tightbore barrel and another magazine or just 2 spare magazines. Decisions, decisions.... :rolleyes:

Edited by jotohomomoto
  • Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eh, I just can't see myself owning a pistol whose real caliber is smaller than the airsoft caliber.... :{

Credit... card... trick. I'm gonna cry myself to sleep tonight.

Of course I won't use an M4! What an abomination of a rifle!   If it's anything less than .30 caliber, I don't care about it!

I just noticed that the chamber has some wear ( paint scratched off ) so I checked the slide ' racking '.

Indeed, when I rack the slide slowly, it makes resistive contact with the plastic inner slide and it stops with the ejection port half opened.

I have a Creative aluminium inner slide on the way, I hope this gets fixed. I have now removed some plastic in the wear areas the inner slide but it still makes heavy resistive contact.

The replica cycles fine on greengas though.

Another note, with the PDI pistonhead, the BBU moves harder ( It doesn't snap backwards again when you pull the BBU forwards. )

I'm not sure it was a good upgrade, I'll test the difference in FPS and temperature sensitivity.

Check the linked thread to Airsoft Canada. The reason for the added resistance is the splitting of the two chamber halves due to the outer barrel getting mangled.

Oh good, I have a Carrot SAS outer barrel on the way. Lets hope this'll fix it. Otherwise I'll go for a steel outerbarrel and use teflontape to fix it more tightly.

Edited by Lone_Bullet

Just fired 5 mags with propane after letting the silicon sealant to cure overnight. My barrel seems to have stopped receiving damage and the fix looks to have worked. But just the same, I'm switching to HFC 134a. Insisting on using propane in this weather, especially now that El Niño is hitting us hard (33° C at the hottest right now, and it's only February for fraks sake!) is just asking for it.

Out of curiosity, I tried to study in depth the reason for why the stock outer barrel sheers itself when using propane. A lot have speculated that the return stroke of the slide is to blame as the nozzle jams into the chamber and does the damage. I believe this isn't true. While the damage suggests that a forward motion is to blame, there's no reason why the return stroke of the slide should be stronger when used with propane since it's powered independently by the recoil spring. Regardless of gas used, the return force is constant. Watching the slow-mo vids on Youtube, even on 134a gas the slide recoils so violently that it causes the whole barrel assembly to tumble around. And if you consider the fact that the instant the slide (upon going rearward) makes contact with the chamber, the outer barrels inertia will resist the rearward motion. It's not so much that the outer barrel is slamming forwards with respect to the chamber, it's the chamber that's slamming rearwards with respect to the outer barrel. I know that a stainless outer barrel could end all this worrying, but I'm inclined to think that with the stronger material of the outer barrel, it might be the chamber this time which receives damage. And there aren't any spare chambers yet in the market.

Put a stainless steel outer barrel on my Five seveN in December. I just took it apart and there is no deformation of the barrel or the chamber after over 1000 shots. I've been going back and fourth using Duster and Green Gas. So far so good.

It's possible that the rubber seal they have you insert at the end of the barrel thats in the firing chamber acts like a cushion and keeps those two parts very tight. I know that I cannot twist or move the new outer barrel in any way since I installed it. I guess only more shots can tell.

I base which guns I want in airsoft on their performance in the real steel continuum. Armor piercing rounds are cool like having a really fast sports car...you'll rarely get to max it out but its cool to know you got it. :D

But you haven't.

Unless yours shoots ap bb's :huh: .

Greg.

Edited by greg

Anyone else notice that these pistols get a ton of shots from a full fill of Duster or 134A? Granted the FPS is around 230+, but it's still a pretty impressive number of shot. Especially if the magazine is left to warm up after the fill.

Like this pistol more every time I shoot it.

Has anyone heard if that metal inner slide part has become available yet?

Anyone else notice that these pistols get a ton of shots from a full fill of Duster or 134A? Granted the FPS is around 230+, but it's still a pretty impressive number of shot. Especially if the magazine is left to warm up after the fill.

Like this pistol more every time I shoot it.

I've been getting about 75 bb's (3 mags) per fill with propane. Sometimes I don't get quite 75 but very close. The magazines are HUGE!!! I don't know what I'm going to use for mag pouches this Saturday (probably my pants pocket!) as I just got a spare in the post yesterday.

The TM 5-7 has got the most recoil of ANY of my pistols and I think this going to be my primary sidearm even if it doesn't pierce armor! :rolleyes:

Yup, I think it has appeared here & in the news section. Waste of money imo.

I think this going to be my primary sidearm even if it doesn't pierce armor! :rolleyes:

That's the spirit, :D I love mine to bits.

Greg.

Yup, I think it has appeared here & in the news section. Waste of money imo.

Definitely. The Guarder polycarb slide is more worth it, if it's even needed in the first place. I was running mine on green for a while and the slide was holding, though I can't say the same for the barrel. As for mag pouches, I have a friend who makes custom gear and told me that Desert Eagle mag pouches fit 5-7 mags just right.

As for mag pouches,

I have found that the guarder & 5.11 pouches I have are both ok.

The mag is 'long' if (from front to back of the cartridge) but not too wide. So, although it 'looks' big, it's volume isn't so big that it wont fit cordura pouches, that will take a double stack .45 (hicappa) mag.

Greg.

I base which guns I want in airsoft on their performance in the real steel continuum. Armor piercing rounds are cool like having a really fast sports car...you'll rarely get to max it out but its cool to know you got it. :D

Keep in mind that the civilian 5.7x28 ammunition is not armor piercing. The last thing we need is a bunch of thugs carrying Five-seveNs with AP capabilities.

Keep in mind that the civilian 5.7x28 ammunition is not armor piercing. The last thing we need is a bunch of thugs carrying Five-seveNs with AP capabilities.

iirc they found that the first type of civvie ammo could actually pierce Kevlar then they had to come out with a new sporting ammo