TM FN Five-seveN GBB

Got myself a nice little 5-7 with the pdi head while I was at it. Beautiful recoil and power on propane. Looking into my hop up unit I saw that after 4 days and 500 rounds its already starting to dent the barrel. So I was wondering what happened to the cnc parts? Has anyone looked at the angry gun outer barrel? (Aluminum)

I've just spent all morning reading (lazy Sunday ftw) and there appears that the handful of people who were going to attempt CNC'd parts dropped straight off the face of the world. I always wanted one when I started a few years ago, but forgot about it until someone posted on my local forum and then another on ASM. I've posted over on ASF about doing CNC parts for those interested.

Some improvements on the hop would include not removing material past the pins that hold the barrel in so that there is full contact and complete stability. A slight amount of material would be removed from the top of the hop to fix the tolerance problems with the inner slide.

I'm positive there's a player base to back this, so check out the link and spread the word. If enough people purchase them, I might be able to have a one piece BBU fabricated.

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Fixing-5-7-CNC-Hop-Cha-t275539.html&pid=18739774?do=findComment&comment=18739774

• Like 1
  • Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eh, I just can't see myself owning a pistol whose real caliber is smaller than the airsoft caliber.... :{

Credit... card... trick. I'm gonna cry myself to sleep tonight.

Of course I won't use an M4! What an abomination of a rifle!   If it's anything less than .30 caliber, I don't care about it!

I as well would be in for a CNC hop unit. The problem is even if you secure the outerbarrel into the hopup, the posts the barrel locks into seem to be very weak, so whatever improvement is required, I think it needs to start with a hopup chamber made of a harder material to match an upgraded outer barrel. The stock outer barrel is very soft as well, and if left in, but evensecured, the outerbarrel will eventually fracture instead of the potmetal hopup.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First off, I'm still going to pursue CNC'd parts when/if I leave here.

Some updates, for anyone not following development. The model now produced by FN is the MK2.

From the wiki:

"The Five-seven MK2 model was introduced in 2013, and is now the standard version of the Five-seven offered by FN Herstal.[47] This new model has cocking serrations on the front of the slide, and has been reported to have a one-piece metal slide (under the polymer cover), whereas the previous models have a two-piece welded metal slide.[48] There is apparently still a choice of fixed or adjustable sights: the model shown on FNH's site is a fixed-sight version; a model with adjustable sights was photographed at the 2013 SHOT show.[48][49] The rear sight on the adjustable-sight version has also been changed, with beefed-up construction and white straight-edge sight references compared to the present three-dot target-style sights; these have been described as "combat adjustable sights".[49]

The MK2 has a black frame and slide, with flat black controls in place of the grey controls of the IOM and USG models. It is also available with a flat dark earth frame color.

Note: The MK2 is slightly wider than previous models and will not fit most custom holsters made for earlier versions of the Five-seven."

five_seven_large.png

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to hear you are still working on it, I would be interested in purchasing some upgrades for mine as well.

If someone could help me this this problem I'd appreciate it. I bought a second hand Five-seveN for $65 that was having problems with the loading nozzle sticking. Previous owner claimed he had no idea why. Well I finally got around to opening it up (it was on the back burner) and I can tell you he was completely lying. He apparently does not know the word gentle and it appears he used a screwdriver to pry the blow back unit out. You can see from the pictures how scratched and gauged the metal is. I think he damaged the rear of the loading nozzle as well, or this might be from wear. I don't think this is the case because the original barrel does not show any signs of metal fatigue yet. What exactly am I missing? The only thing I know of so far is the return spring for the nozzle.

D9A089AC-B826-4331-85AD-A89A5A867DC7_zps

6E1843C2-5887-43FC-909B-FEF51080141A_zps

Edited by nieb15

So, who wants to CNC this for me? :D

Have you considered a 3D printer for the first prototype? Cheaper than a metal prototype and easy to adjust after. My work might be getting one and I could probably print a few for free.

Oh and just to add, my first Five-seveN also survived 25K+ rounds before the outer barrel sheared. I really regret selling it instead of just fixing it up (I didn't know about the sealant trick yet, figured it would keep happening)

Edited by nieb15
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I just changed the stock slide and frame to the Guarder ones and the GBB looks amazing, I especially love the matte color.

One question: I'm using Abbey Predator (stronger than duster, weaker than propane), will I have to invest into a Creation Inner Slide?

Edited by Probotector

Thought this thread was archive/locked ? - been reading it today as I'm tempted by one but haven't had time to read the whole thing, just the first few pages (where people rave about it) and the last 4 where I just see scare stories and talk of possibly a new version.

As some one who does not really alter his guns, are they worth the risk at UK costs or could I find myself regretting buying one ?

It's not a matter of risk. The gun is known to fail with use especially on green gas unless you modify it.

@Probotector

It's not really needed IMO as it's the outer slide that breaks, and yes, even the upgraded Guarder ones if you don't reinforce the front with wire or bond it to the inner slide with sealant. I don't think anyone's even broken an inner slide.

The Creation inner slide doesn't really help with durability. The main problem that occurs, on the ones I've owned anyway, is the slide rails breaking away from the BBU rather than the slide itself breaking. Once I had screwed and glued the rails directly to the BBU, I have been happy using green gas. 

My 5.7 was fine, did not like Propane on a hot day though so switched to Abbey Ultra which worked better.

Same issue as above the rails came away from the BBU causing cycling issues. I would suggest reinforcing the rail mounts ASAP.

Personally never had the issue of a cracked slide, 70% of the time was run off Propane, rest was Abbey Ultra. Probably 6k - 7k through when I owned it. I did however have the outer barrel detach from the hop unit and a friend of mine damaged to hop unit from use with a steel outer barrel.  

Our answer to this was to epoxy the outer barrel to one half of the hop unit to prevent this.

Apart from those issues it has been the second best performing pistol I've ever owned, and I have owned 100s or all different makes.