TM FN Five-seveN GBB

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eh, I just can't see myself owning a pistol whose real caliber is smaller than the airsoft caliber.... :{

Credit... card... trick. I'm gonna cry myself to sleep tonight.

Of course I won't use an M4! What an abomination of a rifle!   If it's anything less than .30 caliber, I don't care about it!

The Guarder polycarbonate kits work fine, I can't imagine the recoil breaking one of those.

And yet they do. I'd provide you with photographical evidence but I'm lazy and they're posted somewhere here in this thread anyways. The stock ABS slide and frame is actually stronger than the Guarder product just like their externals controls kit. Problem is with the labeling of polycarbonate making people think immediately that it's tougher stuff. There are many kinds of polycarbonate. CDs are made of polycarbonate but you don't see them with any sort of ANSI rating. Another thing is that the outer slide itself doesn't hold on to the front guide rail. It's the inside slide that does and Creation was the only people making replacements for it. Fortunately nobody's had problems with their stock inside slides breaking, just the outer.

• Like 1

And yet they do. I'd provide you with photographical evidence but I'm lazy and they're posted somewhere here in this thread anyways. The stock ABS slide and frame is actually stronger than the Guarder product just like their externals controls kit. Problem is with the labeling of polycarbonate making people think immediately that it's tougher stuff. There are many kinds of polycarbonate. CDs are made of polycarbonate but you don't see them with any sort of ANSI rating. Another thing is that the outer slide itself doesn't hold on to the front guide rail. It's the inside slide that does and Creation was the only people making replacements for it. Fortunately nobody's had problems with their stock inside slides breaking, just the outer.

This is true, there were some reports of the Guarder slide blowing out the front face due to the force of recoil on green or propane.  But these kinds of issues can be easily solved with recoil buffers and stronger springs.  If you're OK with the stock trades then you can stick with the stock ABS slide and frame, yes.

Before I sold my Five seveN, I always remembered how ridiculously strong the kick was on green.  Installed a stronger spring and O-ring buffer and the issue was resolved.  The gun overstrokes dramatically so you can use quite a few buffers and it will still lock on empty.

As for the Creation endoskeleton...  Yes, they may have made them at one point, but Creation is a TINY local shop here in HK and their main product is now the XDM slide in black (and only black).  I believe the shop guy was trying to tell me the endoskeleton on the Five seveN was discontinued (his English was... subpar).

And really, the endoskeleton will hardly do more to buff up the gun against recoil than just adding buffers, not to mention it adds a lot of weight to the slide.  And the light slide is one of the hallmarks of this gun.

Somewhat but only due to how (relatively) hard it is to get the 5-7 internals out. They are held in by retention tabs so you need to pry the internals out... Use cut up credit cards or similar semi-ridgid plastic to make it easier.

Other than that mine was a drop in fit.

• 6 months later...

I am very surprised that after the years this has been on the market that there has not been any further after-market parts to attempt to alleviate some of the issues. I absolutely adore the 5-7, but I'm somewhat weary to invest after finishing reading this thread today.

I'm in the UK, so temperature wouldn't be so much of an issue, but the nubs wearing down (seemingly with no replacement option?) and cracking slides put me off, especially when its been as high as 32*C this week.

in japan.. there's really no need. the gun sells for 13400 yen.. That's just shy of 140$ here, which is not a whole lot.. if it breaks after a year of good use (unlikely with duster) you've gotten some pretty good use out of it. For something that doesn't cost that much, I think people are more likely just to buy a whole new pistol. It's only a problem for people out of japan buying the guns, which elevates the cost significantly so people want to get more out of it. It's pretty obvious that a lot of JP companies, TM included don't really care about foreign markets. If they sell, they sell, they're not obligated to provide parts to maintain them.

• Like 1

Okay, the time has come to order one of these... and some bits.

I've ordered a Creation inner slide. Before the gun. :rolleyes: Tokyo Model's website indicated that they were not 'Out of Stock' which seemed to imply 'In Stock' and since they appear to be as common as hen's teeth I thought I'd get one. The gun seems relatively common by comparison. Rather than using gasket maker to bed it in though, I was thinking that a coat of Plasti-dip on both the slides might be an idea. I also fancy the Guarder threaded steel barrel to give me the option of fitting a silencer, a Nine Ball recoil ring and a PDI 6.01 Barrel. Having read the thread I think that plasti dip would also be ideal for the outer barrel to hop chamber area as well. The RCC recoil springs appear to have vanished off the face of the planet. A left handed Serpa will round it off perfectly.

Although I stay in the 'no guns for honest people' United Kingdom - probably just as well really since I have enough problems with sharp objects - I did get a chance to fire the real steel when I was over in Seattle some years back. It was pretty cool and very comfortable to shoot.  

Edited by Libris

@Libris

You probably won't need the RCC springs. As it is the stock spring is relatively soft, but that's mostly due to the spring design. It has way too many active coils compared to most GBBs and aren't stretched out by much to have more stored energy. I carefully stretched mine out to some 130% stock length and baked it (15m 350F, slow cool) to reset the tension and it performs just about like a 120-130% spring.

• Like 1

Well, the gun and parts are on their way. Inner barrel from Japan, holster from the USA, inner slide from Hong Kong and the gun, outer barrel and some other miscelleneous 5-7 and Glock bits from  the UK. An international effort! Now to get a tin of plasti-dip.  

Probably give the spring baking a go since it seems easy enough. 

@Libris

You probably won't need the RCC springs. As it is the stock spring is relatively soft, but that's mostly due to the spring design. It has way too many active coils compared to most GBBs and aren't stretched out by much to have more stored energy. I carefully stretched mine out to some 130% stock length and baked it (15m 350F, slow cool) to reset the tension and it performs just about like a 120-130% spring.

Did you just stretch the spring and heat it or did you adjust it's uncompressed length to 130% of normal? I'm assuming the latter?

Well, the gun is here. Very nice but I can't quite decide whether it is comfortable or not!  :unsure: 

I've fitted the Guarder threaded barrel and unlike the regular one there is no movement at all when fitted. A thin coat of plasti-dip in the breach end made doubly sure. The PDI 6.01 barrel has been fitted as well and the barrel assembly is noticeably heavier than the standard one. I stripped out the inner slide and, after painting each side in plasti-coat, fitted the Creation aluminium one; there seems to be more clearance for the barrel and breach and recoil is brisk! I did paint the whole inner slide but it seemed a bit tight so I stripped it back off and just did the sides. The cut up old credit card as thin wedges makes short work of getting the blowback unit and inner slide out. Surprised at how easy it was given all the talk on the thread about it.

Whited out the trades while I was at it. I have to say though, that 10mm diameter outer barrel looks weird; less than the inner diameter of a .45. 

Yeah... dat grip ... :|

Hopefully you can adjust to it but it is indeed an odd feeling pistol in the hand unless you got some big paws.

As for taking out the blowback unit, if you hadn't known of the credit card tip, I can assure you that your opinion would be other than "it was easy" :P

Thankfully I figured that method out before I broke the slide in half trying to get the internals out.

Hehe... Yeeh... The cold-sweat and your pants when trying to disassemble the slide (with no tricks), it's something that is a part of owning a TM 5-7! :D

I actually used plastic tooth-picks but I guess credit cards work as well.

Someone should make a video of this method and upload and share it...

• 2 weeks later...

Got myself a nice little 5-7 with the pdi head while I was at it. Beautiful recoil and power on propane. Looking into my hop up unit I saw that after 4 days and 500 rounds its already starting to dent the barrel. So I was wondering what happened to the cnc parts? Has anyone looked at the angry gun outer barrel? (Aluminum)