1st Aid Kit picture thread

MadMax: sorry I did not see the gloves in your picture only the water

Out of curiosity what are the legal conditions of applying first-aid in other countries? In Canada we have the “Good Samaritans Act”. Witch says that as long as we perform to our standard* of care we are in no way liable if something goes wrong**.

* standard of care: performing to the best of one’s training, not over or under. One example of this my NLS instructor gave was Mr. Bean doing CPR with his foot. Little bit extreme but it explains the situation.

** does not apply if we are at our place of employment, on shift and our job description gives the standard of care

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity what are the legal conditions of applying first-aid in other countries? In Canada we have the "Good Samaritans Act". Witch says that as long as we perform to our standard of care we are in no way liable if something goes wrong.

We are covered by similar legislation in the UK.

I have a basic first aid kit with me on both fishing trips and airsoft games, and on both occations I have used it. Nothing fancy tough, but I am considering taking with me a suture kit aswell. (Ive had some advanced first aid training).

I've always been interested in the first aid part. I've been looking into the courses, but the thing that scares me are the prices :|

I've had a small first aid part with fire fighting for my job (in the netherlands called BHV, bedrijfshulpverlening, something with company first aid or something), but to say that with that i could help someone on an airsoftfield? no way. I know CPR and some small other stuff, and surely, how big is the chance that you need that? i hope never :P

I have a basic first aid kit with me on both fishing trips and airsoft games, and on both occations I have used it. Nothing fancy tough, but I am considering taking with me a suture kit aswell. (Ive had some advanced first aid training).

from the point of view of an A+E nurse i"d ask are you playing in areas that you will not be able to get the patient to hospital from in less than 24 hours ? if you can get help in under 24hrs then please please don"t try and suture your self , just put a pressure dressing on it and leave well alone . you start field sutureing and you will be doing the casualty no favours at all , the risk of complications are just too great (infection,loss of vascular return,tissue necrosis ) .

also if eny one is going to use super glue on lacerations again please don"t but go to hospital to get it sorted by the professionals ods are the wounds going to need cleaning to get all the ###### out of it before its sealed to avoid infection . but if you are still going ahead i"d say only do it if ;1 its a fresh un-opened tube(its sterile untill its opened) , 2 only use it on "surface cuts" not on deep lacerations , 3 leave a small part of the cut un glued at the bottom (to allow drainege from the wound) .

from the point of view of an A+E nurse i"d ask are you playing in areas that you will not be able to get the patient to hospital from in less than 24 hours ? if you can get help in under 24hrs then please please don"t try and suture your self , just put a pressure dressing on it and leave well alone . you start field sutureing and you will be doing the casualty no favours at all , the risk of complications are just too great (infection,loss of vascular return,tissue necrosis ) .

also if eny one is going to use super glue on lacerations again please don"t but go to hospital to get it sorted by the professionals ods are the wounds going to need cleaning to get all the ###### out of it before its sealed to avoid infection . but if you are still going ahead i"d say only do it if ;1 its a fresh un-opened tube(its sterile untill its opened) , 2 only use it on "surface cuts" not on deep lacerations , 3 leave a small part of the cut un glued at the bottom (to allow drainege from the wound) .

I will point some things I discovered from annother forum, about the use of superglue as an alternative to sutures.

1) it was never intended as the best option for closing a wound, it was developed for battlefield use, when medics might not have time to apply sutures ect, before moving the casualty

2) it can cause burns. the bonding is a chemical reaction, which creates heat, and so it can cause burns around the wound, making things more complex

hospitals only use glue when sutures are not going to be effective (for example they use glue on the scalp, where sutures don't really have enough to hold onto)

seems like perfectly good advice. if i came across a wound that might need stitching, i would obviously call an ambulance straight away, and then keep pressure on it with a dressing. tourniquets are last resorts as they can cause more problems, we were taught to just apply pressure. if you do use a tourniquet, loosen it every 10 minutes (or less) to allow blood back into the limb- stops the tissue dying.

I will point some things I discovered from annother forum, about the use of superglue as an alternative to sutures.

1) it was never intended as the best option for closing a wound, it was developed for battlefield use, when medics might not have time to apply sutures ect, before moving the casualty

2) it can cause burns. the bonding is a chemical reaction, which creates heat, and so it can cause burns around the wound, making things more complex

hospitals only use glue when sutures are not going to be effective (for example they use glue on the scalp, where sutures don't really have enough to hold onto)

sorry mate , the info you"ve posted up is quite wrong , 1) glue IS just about the best way to close a wound , 2) it was not "developed for the battle field" the use of glue was developed in plastic surgery ,3) glue burning the skin never seen it happen 4) as to sutureing the scalp , i could give you a long list of diffrent styles of sutureing just for the scalp .

Fire NL , nice one mate thats a usefull little tip for players ;)

Edited by druid799

Snakebite Info

Its not typically worth resorting to sucking on it unless the victim is a small child IMHO, healthy adults will make it okay, worst will be some shock

We get 3 viper species in LA, Cottonmouth, Rattlesnake, and Copperhead as well as Coral Snakes. They are nasty and they always see you first.

The rule of thumb, or slither, is to kill it when you see it

Edited by Azulsky

Yeah, I live in Norway, so getting far from people shouldnt be much of a problem.

And learning how to do suture was just a thing id like to know :) I have butterfly band aids with me.

Snakebite Info

Its not typically worth resorting to sucking on it unless the victim is a small child IMHO, healthy adults will make it okay, worst will be some shock

We get 3 viper species in LA, Cottonmouth, Rattlesnake, and Copperhead as well as Coral Snakes. They are nasty and they always see you first.

The rule of thumb, or slither, is to kill it when you see it

Yep, kill them if you can. That's why I always carry a knife, though it might not be the best idea to get into a knife fight with a snake, they are lightning fast. A mag of BB's at them can do the trick, also some good boots can do some good, though if you can take the head of thick hard leather in the desert, that would be the best!