TM PSG-1 review

Bore-ups do work in longer barrels, however just because of the PSG1 cylinder's size it will be much more consistent to use a PSG1 gearbox if you can find one. And that pre-cocking system is awesome. I can't get over it. :D

BTW: If you are trying to mix the two because you are worried about parts breaking or the gun itself not being strong, its a very sturdy gun. And the externals are actually very nice. I figured I'd have a G&G metal body on there so quick, but I was impressed with them so the body can come a little later.

I was more of wanting it for options, rather than knowing basically all there is in way of other parts is other systema FTKs. I never liked the precocking system on my L85, but I'm sure with an AEG sniper rifle its a blessing, since you will never be as quiet as a spring sniper rifle.

I think what I will be doing is getting the PSG-1 first, and make my decisions from there. Unfortunately the computers on its last legs, so I may be spending my gun funds on computer funds :(

BTW what pouches work with the PSG-1 mags? I was thinking pistol mag pouches

Edited by l85 guy
I was more of wanting it for options, rather than knowing basically all there is in way of other parts is other systema FTKs. I never liked the precocking system on my L85, but I'm sure with an AEG sniper rifle its a blessing, since you will never be as quiet as a spring sniper rifle.

I think what I will be doing is getting the PSG-1 first, and make my decisions from there. Unfortunately the computers on its last legs, so I may be spending my gun funds on computer funds :(

BTW what pouches work with the PSG-1 mags? I was thinking pistol mag pouches

Haha, nah, IIRC the PSG1 pre-cocking system on the PSG1 is different than the L85.

G3 pouches work well and thats what I'm using ATM, I just stack them horizontal. I may end up using G3 mids since they're so much cheaper than PSG1 mags.

I think if I were to put it into sniper limits i would have to use either standard or low cap mags, which since the G3 mags would hold more than either, I think I would be stuck with using PSG1 mags. Of course if I drop down to DMR limits I would get half as much MED, and mid caps, which means I might be able to get by with G3 standard mags in that case.

So it might be better to just go with G3 mags in my case.

Actually the system isn't that different from the L85s precocking, it has active breaking and etc as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Active Braking MOSFETs I installed in a friend's gun ensures the gearbox makes a complete cycle, so the spring isn't pulled back. The PSG1 "precocks" the spring, so wouldn't it be the opposite of Active Braking? Because the two together would interfere with the other.

I'm no expert on Mosfets first off, but I think Ab is simply to stop the motor from over spinning, by applying a small electrical charge in reverse, to spin the motor the opposite way just enough to stop at the right time, and this is supposed to help the teeth of the gears. With a regular set-up I believe this eliminates the need for an ARL, but in a precocking system, unless your gun is feeding enough energy to the motor to keep the gears in place, you would need an ARL to do that job. BUt you could still use AB to stop it at the right point at the end of the cycle to prevent unnecessary wear and still have precocking.

You could still use AB in a precocking system, because the way a precocking system works is it cuts the circuit as the piston comes to its highest point, at that point using a Mosfet, it should be made to apply the AB at that point, meaning stopping the motor to prevent gear wear.

I hope I made sense?

-Vegas

L85 guy if you can get hold of the front end parts for a PSG1 then I wouldn't write off using it with a G3 action. I have done it myself, the 590mm tightbore is not affected by using a standard AEG cylinder (boreup kit used). Plus it looks awesome, although I have since gone for an MSG90 look - otherwise it would have carried on looking too much of a 'hybrid'. Plus a full auto capable PSG1 doesn't feel right.

Anyway, heres pics:

DSC01002.jpg

DSC01012.jpg

DSC01557.jpg

The idiot that I am, didn't take any pics with a PSG1 mag. :P

Thanks for the pics, man, looks great. But it looks like its missing its selector switch!

I thought further on it, since the G3 lower is plastic, could you just carry over the PSG1 lower to keep the looks right, and use a Mosfet, thus looking and performing semi only, only problem would be the selector could slide further then it should.

Thanks for the pics, man, looks great. But it looks like its missing its selector switch!

I thought further on it, since the G3 lower is plastic, could you just carry over the PSG1 lower to keep the looks right, and use a Mosfet, thus looking and performing semi only, only problem would be the selector could slide further then it should.

You may as well get a PSG1. lol.

You can't swap the lowers, the PSG1 is propreietary. I checked with my JG G3. It doesn't work for me.

Thanks for the pics, man, looks great. But it looks like its missing its selector switch!I thought further on it, since the G3 lower is plastic, could you just carry over the PSG1 lower to keep the looks right, and use a Mosfet, thus looking and performing semi only, only problem would be the selector could slide further then it should.

Yeah lol, twas missing quite a few things at certain stages. Right now I am converting to an MP5 type Navy lower receiver, which is more in keeping with the MSG90 anyways - but the main reason is because I stole the G3 lower and stuck it on my MP5 :D

I am not entirely sure what you have in mind mate but from what I can understand you want a PSG1/G3 hybrid with the ability to either have more customisable/attainable G3 internals or externals so as to keep the cost down, right?

If this is the case then either way around has advantages. I have G3 internals for the full auto capability and ready available parts with PSG1 externals for looks. However the opposite way round could give you a metal bodied DMR type G3 with the awesome features of the PSG1, e.g. precocking, functioning cocking handle and blowback.

Due to the near extinction of the FTK-12 kits and other PSG-1 parts, what kind of spring can the stock internals handle? Everything just seems so fragile with the PSG-1.

Most people seem to have different opinions on it. Some say the max the stock gun will take is the PSG100(M100 eqaivalent) others say that upgrade the other parts and not the gearset, you can use a 200% spring while others say the gearset can't handle the M100.

Guarder makes a lot of aftermarket parts for the PSG1. You can get Guarder, Prommy, Modify, and Systema parts for your PSG1. In fact, just about the only part for the V.4 that Guarder doesn't make is the gearset. Systema V.4 gearsets with the piston aren't hard to find.

Look on Ehobbyasia for Guarder PSG1 parts.

Also, the Med. Magnum motor isn't the only motor availible for the PSG1. Matrix calls it the "Matrix Med. Magnum" motor. Which is an outstanding motor for $45 on Evike. Their Magnum is actually a Re-branded JG new version high torque, which are found in A&K SR25s and their SPRs. And outstanding motor with a lot of torque and decent speed.

You may as well get a PSG1. lol.

You can't swap the lowers, the PSG1 is propreietary. I checked with my JG G3. It doesn't work for me.

Yes it does, you need to remove the G3 lower receiver, remove the mechbox and look inside there.

It has a slot to hold a nut, so all you need to do is drill the hole where the PSG upper is to be secured to the lower receiver by a screw and mount a nut in that slot.

If you want to mount the G3 upper to PSG lower, to drill a hole behind the magazine catch on the upper receiver for that screw to mate.