The "dumb question" thread

Gorf

I have a couple of TM spring pistols and I was wondering how often would I need to maintain them. They've been kept away for a couple of years now and I've probably shot less than 200 times with either one. Unfortunately, I am unable to play airsoft where I am, therefore these are more like a collection for me and I'm hoping to keep them in good condition. Appreciate any advice you folks can provide. :)

Never. Those things really dont need maintaining at all. If you really really want to you could put some grease in the cylinder and clean out the barrel, but its not something you need to do on a regular basis.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Three stupid questions:

1) do P90 hops feed from the top?

2) will an AK gearbox work with said hop, or do I need to change the nozzle?

3) Where do I get cheap p90 hops/nozzles?

regards,

-Matt

Judging from this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-jxH0qB5A0

It looks like it does feed from the top. I do not know if it's compatible with that AK gearbox, and it may make a difference what brand you'r talking about, to someone who could answer that question.

My Question:

Crosman M3 vs. UTG M3

My understanding is that both Crosman and UTG (and I think a brand called "DE") have all made clones of the TM M3's utilizing the same 3 barrel multiple piston mechanism - however with some reductions in quality, hence the much lower price. I've read about these different M3 clones a lot, some people say they're all the same, just re-branded, some say one is significantly better than the other. They are all about the same price (50-60usd depending on the site). Has anyone actually compared these different "clones" and know the major differences in construction/quality?

I bought the Crosman version, simply because I've seen Crosman BB guns that actually last for a few decades despite their low price. Of course the case may be different with airsoft - I know they generally have a bad rep for their airsoft guns.

Judging from this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-jxH0qB5A0

It looks like it does feed from the top. I do not know if it's compatible with that AK gearbox, and it may make a difference what brand you'r talking about, to someone who could answer that question.

My Question:

Crosman M3 vs. UTG M3

My understanding is that both Crosman and UTG (and I think a brand called "DE") have all made clones of the TM M3's utilizing the same 3 barrel multiple piston mechanism - however with some reductions in quality, hence the much lower price. I've read about these different M3 clones a lot, some people say they're all the same, just re-branded, some say one is significantly better than the other. They are all about the same price (50-60usd depending on the site). Has anyone actually compared these different "clones" and know the major differences in construction/quality?

I bought the Crosman version, simply because I've seen Crosman BB guns that actually last for a few decades despite their low price. Of course the case may be different with airsoft - I know they generally have a bad rep for their airsoft guns.

DE and UTG and TSD are the same thing.

DE/UTG Make them

TSD Rebrands them to include stuff like 3 extra shells for cheaper then getting the gun and shells sperate.

Crossman is mainly rebrands, they do have some airsoft guns they do make them self but 90% of there stock is rebranding with trademarks.

I have a couple of TM spring pistols and I was wondering how often would I need to maintain them. They've been kept away for a couple of years now and I've probably shot less than 200 times with either one. Unfortunately, I am unable to play airsoft where I am, therefore these are more like a collection for me and I'm hoping to keep them in good condition. Appreciate any advice you folks can provide. :)

One thing...

Try to minimise how much you actually clean the outside of the gun.

They're made from a relatively soft plastic and it's easy to end up making them look all shiny and horrid if you rub the slides and frames too much with a cleaning cloth.

When a Nimh battery is just about to get too hot to handle/hold/touch, does this mean its fully charged?

Without using a smart charger, or knowing how much charge is already in a battery, how can you tell when its charged enough, without overcharging it?

Without the aid of a peak-sensing charger, and relying on a fixed rate/ trickle charger, the pack should only be 'quite warm' when fully charged; too hot to handle is definately overcharged by a fair degree, not good. This will shorten the life of the pack in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...
Where can I buy a replacement cleaning/unjamming rod?

I've tried it before, as far as I know, no one does. You're best bet is to start a WTB thread as it's a safe bet 90% of user's here have five or six more than they need. If not that, get a spring rifle for like $20 as most come with cleaning rods.

Silly question of my own; wouldnt an airgun barrel cleaning rod work, or is there something special about the airsoft ones I dont know about?

BrassCleaningRod3_pc.jpg

Like that^, with various attachments for the end like a plastic bristle brushes and swab holders for polishing the barrel- use it without a tip to dislodge a stuck bb ( brass rod so it wont bend very easily vs a bb ).

Also cheaper at around $5-15 for a basic or complete kit..

Silly question of my own; wouldnt an airgun barrel cleaning rod work, or is there something special about the airsoft ones I dont know about?

http://www.outers-guncare.com/images/produ...ningRod3_pc.jpg

Like that^, with various attachments for the end like a plastic bristle brushes and swab holders for polishing the barrel- use it without a tip to dislodge a stuck bb ( brass rod so it wont bend very easily vs a bb ).

Also cheaper at around $5-15 for a basic or complete kit..

Two things, it has to be long enough (for short barreled guns like the G36C or M4 it should work but for M16 ect. might be too short. The other is many airgun barrel cleaners (I have three airguns and 2 of them had ones like this) are brush tipped which are designed to remove the lead-residue that pellets leave after time. Most airgun barrels are steel, which doesn't scratch to easy. Cheaper made aluminum and pot metal barrels can scratch easily. Even brass if it's a tough enough brush.

True & true.

However...

http://www.ordertree.com/cms/Cleaning-Rods/383.html

They have coated rods to prevent scratching, they have rods without a fixed tip, and you can join mulitple rods together onto the handle section until you have a rod long enough. I know my one for my airguns is a 3 piece item about 60cm long total ( 3x 20cm sections ), if you look around enough you can find spare rods/sections to increase length as required- saddly this system doesnt exist for the human penis :(

:D

EDIT: you could always cover the sections with some heatshrink tubing to create a non-scratching surface too- 6mm barrel wont be too tight for the rods given that these will fit .177 / 4.5mm barrels.

True & true.

However...

http://www.ordertree.com/cms/Cleaning-Rods/383.html

They have coated rods to prevent scratching, they have rods without a fixed tip, and you can join mulitple rods together onto the handle section until you have a rod long enough. I know my one for my airguns is a 3 piece item about 60cm long total ( 3x 20cm sections ), if you look around enough you can find spare rods/sections to increase length as required- saddly this system doesnt exist for the human penis :(

:D

EDIT: you could always cover the sections with some heatshrink tubing to create a non-scratching surface too- 6mm barrel wont be too tight for the rods given that these will fit .177 / 4.5mm barrels.

Look an M16 cleaning kit will work on an airsoft gun; an M16 being 5.56mm and an airsoft gun being 6mm, and you can join the sections of an M16 cleaning kit together, but I wouldn't advise doing it. If you HAD to you could, but I would be careful as the rubberized tips on airsoft rods are there to protect both the inside of the barrel and delicate parts at the end of the barrel (hopup rubber, chamber, piston head and nozzle).

I've never used Magpuls before (I always just rigged up my own from 550 cord and 100mh tape) but I'm thinking of buying the basic magpul originals but how exactly do they stay attached to the mag's bottom without just flying off when you yank it out of a full magazine pouch?

They stay on by friction. magpuls fit quite tightly on the mags. I have never had a problem with one coming off. (they barely come off when I want them to)

Alright, so I've had a G&G RK-104 break on me a few times. The fuse keeps breaking. Everyone recommends using an 8.4 in it, but the reason they gave was because you couldn't fit a 9.6. So when I got mine, I immediately tried cramming a 9.6 into the stock. It fit with a little bit of pushing and rearranging of the wires, but anyways my stupid question is:

Could I have broken my fuse by using a 9.6 while the gun wass made for an 8.4?

Archived