The "dumb question" thread

Gorf

Anyone know what "GBCVTA" means in regards to importing goods into the UK? My googlefu on this ancient phone is terrible.

My 6094 arrived at Heathrow on Christmas day (surprised they were open) and on boxing day it arrived at the "Inward office of exchange" and now the status is set at "GBCVTA".

I imagine its something to do with clearing customs? The order was just shy of $300 so HMRC will obviously want a chunk.

Also does anyone know how long the various carriers will hold onto an item before returning it? Just I'm away from where its being delivered to until next Sunday and I won't know who to contact either. I know RM is 18 days but I'm worried some of the others have stupidly short turnaround times.

Cheers.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like they've undervalued it and you'll have to provide proof of the original purchase price so you pay customs the correct amount in charges. Last time I had to do that I had to fax it.  Hopefully things have improved since then.

• 3 weeks later...

I like buying cheap spring rifles and making them look great, eg turning crappy abs plastic into high strength "metal" by using epoxy resin, swapping parts with quality after market parts, etc. I cant skirmish with these though theyre simply not competitive, which brings me to my question is it possible to make a simple self loading mechanism for a spring powered rifle? One of my AK's has a very light action, so it doesnt require any strength at to cock.

Hey, this looks like an appropriate thread.

So, took my Marui M3 Super 90 apart again after a skirmish on Sunday, because I suspected a rogue BB was rattling around inside it. It wasn't a BB though. It was a little black (M2.5? M3?) nut. Fell out of the receiver when I separated the barrel assembly from it.

10929005_10155080487060290_1282321770783

I've been through every disassembly guide I can find, viedo and photo walkthrough. Not once is this little nut mentioned or pictured. Anyone have any ideas where it may have come from? I'm not tremendously worried because as per normal, the Super 90 doesn't seem to give a hoot and still works fine, but I am a little befuddled.

Do the cans of airsoft gas have a shelf life?

I'm looking at buying some Abbey Maintenance gas for storage but the shops I can get it from don't stock anything else I want. The fact that RM won't deliver the parcel as well makes life more interesting as I either have to travel considerable distances to the courier depots (wouldn't be too bad if Cambridge was where they are) or have it delivered on Fridays and literally sit outside the property until it turns up.

Therefore I'm considering making this a bulk order of maintenance gas but only if it'll last (I imagine it would but thought best to ask).

Cheers

• 3 months later...

In my experience it's down to the baaaaaaad quality of Ztac PTTs. They constantly switch themselves on. I have tried two and both of them had the same problem...

Next dumb question: I'm currently upgrading my buddy's VFC 416D AEG but for the life of me I remain stuck at removing the motor plate. It seems to be fastened into place with some absurd size of hex key somewhere in the region between Imperial 3/32" and Metric 2,5mm. Who can help me out? Because it's starting to frustrate me a little bit...

Im looking at doing a Mk.18/Block II M4 build using my M16 as a base gun. 

Obviously im going to have to change the inner barrel length, my question however is that because ill be shortening the barrel by over 200mm, will I encounter any technical issues? (I.E: Will i need to work on the gearbox as well to get it to work as it should with a much shorter barrel)

Also because im cheap im planning on just cutting down my existing barrel. I know about having to re-crown the end but is there anything else i should be aware of?

Does your M16 have a full cylinder in its gearbox? If it does you will have way too much air in the cylinder for the new inner barrel. This might affect consistency and/or FPS, and will also make your gun considerably louder. 

Also, you might have to change the spring to keep your gun from shooting hot. 

I've not had problems with larger hex screws, but small ones can be a pita. Of course some of the small hex keys seem to be made from butter. Whenever I use a torx on a hex screw I have visions of Scotty moaning at not using the right tool for the job.

Alas, even T7, T8 or T9 couldn't solve my problem. It seems to be an issue of off-size hex made from pot metal, screwed into place by machine. The only options I see left are either replacing the pistol grip in its entirety, or trying to remove the broken screws with a drill and correct bit...

In the end I opted for brute force and replacement of the pistol grip with an easier to work with model. Now it's a question of getting mags to feed reliably. As it turns out, Pro-win M4 chamber and VFC 416 aren't the best of friends.... I hope the right amount of velcro tape is able to solve this problem. 

Archived