Double post, but meh... No news is good news!

Finally got around to looking at my bolt catch problem.

It's a common niggle on these guns that the bolt catch doesn't positively engage 100% of the time.

EvilDan suggested heating the bolt catch and bending it, as it's made of steel. Unfortunately, I don't really have access to the right gear for the job here at home.

Fixed mine perfectly by making a small metal shim. There is now no play at all in the bolt catch, and it engages 100% of the time. It's a bit of an Art Attack solution, but bear with me.

TOOLS REQUIRED: 1 x empty beverage tin, 1 x pair of scissors, 1 x bottle of superglue.

METHOD: Take one empty drinks can. I used a Red Bull can, but I don't 'spose it matters.

Taking a pair of scissors, and being careful not to make a hole in yourself, stab the can once and twist, making enough of a gap to get the blade of the scissors in and begin cutting.

Next, cut out a long rectangle of the metal - it doesn't matter about the size, as you can trim it down later. The bigger the better.

Fold this approximately four times, and on the last fold, add a drop of superglue to stick it all together.

Go ahead and trim this down slightly to fit the underside of the bolt catch. It doesn't need to run the whole length, just make sure it covers the end, as this is where the magazine engages the bolt catch.

Apply a thin line of superglue to the bottom of the bolt catch, and place the metal shim in the correct position, applying even pressure throughout.

Leave five minutes, and reassemble the SCAR. Grab a mag, and test - worked first time for me.

Ben.

EDIT:: Note, I shimmed the bolt catch and not the mag catch, in order to avoid putting any unnecessary strain on the brass chamber. Anyone who wants pictures should PM me, although it's a fairly straightforward fix.

Edited by L4byr1nth
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cant find HK on google, could you post a link please?

it seems that the nozzle and the rod are glued. what can be the safest way to unscrew this?   thanks in advance

Is the buffer you speak anything like this ?  

Posted Images

I swore I would never get a WE SCAR, as the rifle seems to have it's fair share of issues and such...but an offer came up that I could not pass up; (1) fairly new SCAR for $130 and (9) magazines at $20 ea. Essentially, half price on everything.

The sellar states: "The stock connector has been replaced where the factory one cracked, and there is a small piece internally that pushes on the gas release valve on the mags that has also been replaced. The gun works perfectly, except for the FPS inconsistency..."

As for FPS inconsistency, the sellar claims the rifle will shoot anywheres from 250 to 320 fps on .25's.

Anyways, I pulled the trigger so to speak, and bought it. I hope to have it by the weekend, and will report more on the rifle and hopefully get some sound advice on any issues it may actually have.

Has anyone changed their stock hammer to a steel one, and if so, how is your valve knocker doing? I had to change mine out for a steel TSC one since the hole in the stock hammer where the roller sits got elongated. Now I'm afraid the valve knocker might disintegrate from the force of the steel hammer.

If you change one part to steel you will have to CHANGE ALL parts to steel or they will chew themselves up. Steel vs potmetal and you'll have an obvious winner.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I brought my newly purchased and upgraded Scar out today, used the npas to dial it down to 1J but the stinger hopup unit was pants! The only difference it seemed to make was changing it from single to triple shot. I was using 0.25's, I've read on here that the 0.28's are the way to go but has anyone any suggestions how I might get the hop to function?

Many thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I have a big choice to make. Ive gathered up about $600 for some new gear. Ive been wanting the WE Scar since forever and now I have the money for one.

In Canada the WE SCAR is about $460, plus $40 a mag etc.

I really want to get this but is it worth it for the price?

My other option is to MOD out my current M4 AEG, which is falling apart. New body, hop up, rail system, inner barrel, and furniture. But this project will cost me about $600 as well.

Which do you think is the best option? Being that this is in a GBBR section I am kinda forseeing bias but I want to know from people who have first hand experience with the scar. Ive read about the problems and from what ive seen, there worth it for this beauty. Being a real steel owner myself, it seems like a GBBR is the only way to go.

But I need an honest opinion.

Any help would be great

Well Ive pretty much desided a GBBR is for me. Im probobly going to get the WE SCAR after reading around.

For those who have replaced parts, what are the important things to change/add to it? I know this gun is going to be a project gun and Im ready. I cant wait any longer, ive got to get a SCAR =D

Bought one of these second hand. $250 shipped for the gun w/NPAS and 3 Green Gas mags. I have a couple questions;

1.) Will Magpul MIAD grips fit on this beast?

2.) Will the Magpul SSG selector replacements fit on?

Thanks in advance to whoever responds :D

1)- IMG_2808.JPG

Yep.

2)- Highly unlikely.

• 1 month later...

Well Ive pretty much desided a GBBR is for me. Im probobly going to get the WE SCAR after reading around.

For those who have replaced parts, what are the important things to change/add to it? I know this gun is going to be a project gun and Im ready. I cant wait any longer, ive got to get a SCAR =D

if I were you, I would wait untill WE brings out there open bolt version of the Scar....the guy from WE told that in G39c review on the evike youtube film.

So its coming for sure, but dunno when....

As much as I love my WE scar, I did have much issues with it. And open bolt systems have already proven to be much more reliable than close bolt systems.

Well... It depends what we're talking here.

Power-wise, you'll do better with the normal closed bolt system. This has already been covered when the open bolt was first introduced.

The open bolt apparently has a much better HOP system, however.

Did we ever establish what the thread on the WE SCAR's flash hider was? Looking at a tracer unit, and need to know if it fits...

Ben.

Some are cw some are ccw, very uncomfortable

Ps open bolts can also be powerfull...it depends also of the inner barrel type, length etc.

My stock we g39 has already around 370 fps and that barrel is damn small, i dont dare to put a figure on it but the inner of my robocop gun is longer :)

So can you imagine what an m14 lenght 6.01 inner barrel would do on fps? :)

Ps i have a Long version 6.03 inner in my scar and i get 450 - 470 fps in 15 degrees C

So i dunno about wich open bolt systems youre talking about, but todays open bolts are stronger than before (at least the system on the g39)

I bet the future open bolt we scar will also outpower the current closed system.