Found my better camera. Hoping you won´t mind me adding more pics.

Does this look normal wear for a scar?  -I don´t think the parts are very long lasting if this is what they look after few mags.

No wear on the bolt catch(pic#3) (so it is stronger metal the the receiver/bolt) and it´s  eating a way the upper receiver(pic #1)  and the nozzle housing/bolt.(pic#2)

-Pate

post-7785-0-72767200-1364056712_thumb.jpg

post-7785-0-03515100-1364056721_thumb.jpg

post-7785-0-61124000-1364056729_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigshow
  • Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cant find HK on google, could you post a link please?

it seems that the nozzle and the rod are glued. what can be the safest way to unscrew this?   thanks in advance

Is the buffer you speak anything like this ?  

Posted Images

Found my better camera. Hoping you won´t mind me adding more pics.

Does this look normal wear for a scar?  -I don´t think the parts are very long lasting if this is what they look after few mags.

No wear on the bolt catch(pic#3) (so it is stronger metal the the receiver/bolt) and it´s  eating a way the upper receiver(pic #1)  and the nozzle housing/bolt.(pic#2)

-Pate

The wear on the receiver and bolt are normal and will not affect the gun whatsoever.  Your trigger set will probably be the first thing to fail if anything.

The receiver wear is due to the bolt catch being a loose fit on the lower.  Every time the bolt catch engages it gets pushed up against the upper and given that it also wiggles a bit due to the force exerted by the bolt when it slams against the catch, it's going to wear away a bit of the finishing.

The bolt wear happens because if you look at the bolt catch, it's made up of sharp angles.  The wear you see is due to the catch being engaged as soon as the last bb leaves the mag and when the bolt rides over the sharp edges of the catch (and the bolt area in question consisting of sharp edges as well when new) will inevitably wear down to a point where the surface is smooth enough for the catch to ride against without taking any more material off.

EDIT:  For the trigger....dude you realise that if you don't release the trigger it's not going to reset by itself, right?  There's nothing wrong with the trigger......I'd be more surprised if the gun kept firing after you held the trigger down on semi-auto, your sear disconnector (I think that's what it's called...not bothered to look it up) would've been broken if that's the case.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, my RATECH trigger set with the swapped hammer is having issues with semi auto.  The disconnector doesn't seem to catch onto the hammer sometimes on semi.  I reread the CWI v RATECH trigger set review and it seems that because RATECH designed their disconnector to look like a hook where it engages rather than a flat surface, the hammer sometimes slips if the trigger isn't pulled all the way back when firing on semi.  Looking over the pics in the review thread I think there should be a way for me to correct the angle on the disconnector so that it's the same flat plane as the original WE one, but for the money I spent on the RATECH stuff I would've expected them to work out of the box.  Don't see why RATECH didn't just copy the WE parts to spec + change the trigger profiles for the guns and call it a day.

If anyone's planning to get the RATECH set I'd recommend against doing so and I'd get the CWI set instead.

Edited by intinerious

Thanks, that is what I thought also, just wanted to be sure :)  -so it only needs more shooting to wear the parts in. 

On the trigger, yes I realized that it needs to be let go so the gun will be ready for next shot.

My issue was that weird sound it makes(sounds so "cheap" when the trigger is released ) On my gbb pistols there is nothing like that, I only need to lighten my grip on the trigger and it is ready to fire. on this I need to move it fully off the trigger and that made me think it was not ok.

But now I know better, so lesson learned.

I really like this gun, I have owned  ~10 aeg´s  ,20gbb pistols and bolt action (gas kj m700 takedown) sniper rifle . NONE of them makes me smile like this when firing.

-Pate

Thanks, that is what I thought also, just wanted to be sure :)  -so it only needs more shooting to wear the parts in. 

On the trigger, yes I realized that it needs to be let go so the gun will be ready for next shot.

My issue was that weird sound it makes(sounds so "cheap" when the trigger is released ) On my gbb pistols there is nothing like that, I only need to lighten my grip on the trigger and it is ready to fire. on this I need to move it fully off the trigger and that made me think it was not ok.

But now I know better, so lesson learned.

I really like this gun, I have owned  ~10 aeg´s  ,20gbb pistols and bolt action (gas kj m700 takedown) sniper rifle . NONE of them makes me smile like this when firing.

-Pate

Well what I posted above was just trying to explain why you see the wear marks.  I hope it didn't come across as trying to justify the wear and tear on a new gun (I'm not and if you didn't imply it, whatever, I'm posting this anyway XD).  The wear on the receiver is only an issue because they didn't make the fitting on the polymer receiver tight enough to securely hold onto the bolt catch.  You'll see that most of the DIY fixes (if not all) are basically fixing the sloppy dimensions on WE's parts.

The sound you hear is mostly due to the hammer being released and catching on the disconnector.  Given that WE basically uses the same trigger assembly as their G36s and M4s, I think the sound from the trigger assembly is amplified in the SCAR as the lower is mostly hollow.  You'll probably get the same sound with the G36, and MAYBE a slightly quieter sound on the M4s.  The sound you hear is basically due to the amount of travel the hammer has before it catches on the disconnector again.  Whether the real steel (I wouldn't use a RS SCAR as an example as I understand the RS SCAR uses a trigger group derived from an FAL from what I remember) M4s have the same sound, I don't know as I've never fired one, but if they don't then I pin the sound issue down to the looss-ish parts in the trigger (more like sloppiness) and the hollow lower on the WE SCAR.

The trigger setup on the WE SCAR and pistols are totally different....you can't really compare (IMO) a pistol trigger assembly with the M4 (WE SCAR's) trigger assembly.  The fact that there's probably less hollow space and less pressure exerted on the pistol trigger assemblies mean that you don't get that sound that you dislike, and that given the parts are smaller in a pistol I would think the sear interfaces in the trigger would be smaller, hence you get a shorter reset, trigger over-travel, etc.

Oh yeah and as much as the SCAR's pretty much useless for me in Hong Kong, shooting it is damn fun :P  Though I rather wish I bought the M4 instead as I don't really like the ergonomics of the SCAR.  But yeah, everyone who I gave my SCAR to for dry-firing (or actual firing XD) and myself included starts grinning as soon as the trigger is pulled and the SCAR fires it's first shot :D That, and with the condensed green gas / red gas puffing past the triple tap brake I have on the SCAR right now (which reminds me, I should take a picture of it XD) the WE SCAR's the most 'enjoyable' to shoot compared to the rest of my pistols and AEG collection :P 

intinerious, all is well. I understood what you were saying.

As for the ergonomics I really like the scar over M4 , I guess everyone has their favorite guns!

I love armalites also and I have owned M4 for a long time (well almost M4, I have the CA M15A4 Carbine full metal that I got about ~2006, that was my first aeg), and the scar just feels better in my (big) hands.

Now if this lasts as long as the CA (It is  still going strong), I am very happy!

oh, and I just got shipped notification of the scope from ACMgear , cant wait to try it.

Still waiting EbairSoft to ship the bipod grip. (edit. just got that being shipped notification email also! )

-Pate

Edited by bigshow
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Are there any loading nozzles out there that last?

I just broke my 2nd nozzle. It always breaks at the same location, the part that pushes the bb in breaks off.>(and releases all the gas from mag at the same time... )

I only fill the mag with 20-29 bbs so there is not exessive tension from bb /bb stuck on mag .

Both times the nozzle broke was full auto bursts ~after few full mags. Thinking that the really cold gas(full auto freeze)  freezes the nozzle and it breaks easier then?

I have shot this a lot (about 2500rounds total)  but still this is not something I would call normal wear.

-Pate

Edited by bigshow

My friend broke two before he got sick of it and sold the gun. From what I can gather, it might be caused by the nozzle guides not being up to scratch and allowing the nozzle to move side to side and/or rotate, causing it to hit the feed lips or another part (can't quite remember what's in there...) and break.

I managed to fix the nozzle for now.

I drilled 2.5mm hole just where the piece broke off and screwed 3mm (steel rc screw) screw on the hole. INext I cut the screw to correct lenght and filed it to correct shape. Then I installed smal piece of shrink tubing on it and it really looks solid now.

I have only tested about 100 rounds so far but it looks fine. Looks like it will last longer then new part,but will see...

-Pate

My friend broke two before he got sick of it and sold the gun. From what I can gather, it might be caused by the nozzle guides not being up to scratch and allowing the nozzle to move side to side and/or rotate, causing it to hit the feed lips or another part (can't quite remember what's in there...) and break.

Is his a newgen gun? Or something older? I've had the same nozzle for two years. And a lot of WE SCARs have passed through my hands, same thing. It's a very solid platform.

Fox.

Not that the question was aimed ad me but I´ll reply :

Mine is the open bolt one and if I understand correctly closed bolt ones has nozzle made of metal? maybe I should change this to closed bolt if my fix wont last(still going strong after 3-400 rounds)

But the nozzle breakage could be due to rapid fire cooldown .(some plastics gets brittle in the cold)

Not that the question was aimed ad me but I´ll reply :

Mine is the open bolt one and if I understand correctly closed bolt ones has nozzle made of metal? maybe I should change this to closed bolt if my fix wont last(still going strong after 3-400 rounds)

But the nozzle breakage could be due to rapid fire cooldown .(some plastics gets brittle in the cold)

No, don't change to Open Bolt :P

As I said, it's a really solid platform, and perhaps the nozzle problems are because of something else? Anyhow, if there's something I would recommend replacing is perhaps the bolt carrier, for the GunsModify steel one and "cocker set" (NOT the Ra-Tech), it's a beautiful upgrade.

Fox.

Is his a newgen gun? Or something older? I've had the same nozzle for two years. And a lot of WE SCARs have passed through my hands, same thing. It's a very solid platform.

Fox.

It's my (or rather, now not my) SCAR Stuey refers to. Mine was a gen3 version ordered straight from the factory (so i'm told by Iain at Milspec) so in theory it should have been the most solid. Alas, i couldn't afford the keep throwing consumable nozzles at it and also didn't think to screw something into it in place.

Aside from anything else, I ended up losing the rear sight somehow (self-unscrewing, apparently) and shearing off a piece from the back of the bolt when 'experimenting' with the co2 mags, so i quickly decided I would get rid of it before i managed to break it any further!

The first nozzle broke about 3/4 way through a cold cqb game after a fair amount of full auto bursts. The second time it broke though i think i'd only managed about 10 semi auto shots through it before it vented and I discovered that yet again it had gone. By this time i was being extra careful not to overload the mags with BBs either and generally tiptoeing round it :(

Edited by Krydel

It's my (or rather, now not my) SCAR Stuey refers to. Mine was a gen3 version ordered straight from the factory (so i'm told by Iain at Milspec) so in theory it should have been the most solid. Alas, i couldn't afford the keep throwing consumable nozzles at it and also didn't think to screw something into it in place.

Aside from anything else, I ended up losing the rear sight and shearing off the back of the bolt when 'experimenting' with the co2 mags, so i quickly decided I would get rid of it before i managed to break it any further!

Must had either been doing something wrong, or there was something very wrong with your gun.

Also, why were you using CO2 mags? There's a lot of reasons not to. People seem to think they work better in the cold; but they actually work worse, have less consistency, last less shots, are more difficult to load, and some other disadvantages.

It really is a very reliable, accurate, far-shooting, and consistent platform. An excellent base for a Marksman gun. It's a shame yours didn't work out. As I said, perhaps there was something up with yours, and you couldn't tech it correctly, or whoever worked on it couldn't. If the same part keeps breaking, there's obviously something wrong with that particular gun and not the platform, as that part's obviously not breaking for most of the people using it.

Must had either been doing something wrong, or there was something very wrong with your gun.

Also, why were you using CO2 mags? There's a lot of reasons not to. People seem to think they work better in the cold; but they actually work worse, have less consistency, last less shots, are more difficult to load, and some other disadvantages.

It really is a very reliable, accurate, far-shooting, and consistent platform. An excellent base for a Marksman gun. It's a shame yours didn't work out. As I said, perhaps there was something up with yours, and you couldn't tech it correctly, or whoever worked on it couldn't. If the same part keeps breaking, there's obviously something wrong with that particular gun and not the platform, as that part's obviously not breaking for most of the people using it.

Well initially I assumed it was me doing something wrong i.e. not knowing my way round GBBs at the time, i loaded them up until i couldn't fit anymore in. But on the second nozzle i loaded about 28 a mag and was very careful with it after last time. 

I would wager something wrong with the gun second time around, as I say I replaced the nozzle, fired about 10 shots with no undue pressure from overfilled mags or otherwise and it decided it didn't like that at all.

CO2...heh, well i found a bargain on CO2 mags and snapped them up to see how i got on. After a peice of bolt coming off and moving down through the trigger mechanism, i decided against it. 

I have no doubt its a reliable piece of kit - hell, the whole reason I got one was because I was under such an impression! I do love the SCAR, I'm just slightly afraid of investing money into something that i can't reinforce the nozzle on like the WE M4. You really do love it, anyone would think I was insulting your child ;)

• 1 year later...

Just got a new WE SCAR, and am having a problem.

Just fired a brand new mag through the new scar, and after the first 5-10 shots, it now only seems to pick up 1 BB. After that, although it fires, no BB comes out the barrel.

There is no jam or anything. If I remove the mag there will be a BB in the top of the mag, but none chambered. If I re-insert, and cock the gun again, it picks up another shot, then again, keeps firing without picking up the next BB.

Really confused, had a few GBB M4's in the past and would consider myself good with maintenance, but not any hardcore trouble shooting.

Any ideas?

A very similar thing was posted at Airsoft Forums about a week ago. When I asked for pics of the bolt/nozzle aligned with the mag it turned out that the mag was sitting about 2mm too low making the nozzle ride the top of the bb instead of chambering it. If that's the case you'll need to find a way to shim the mag a little bit higher.

A very similar thing was posted at Airsoft Forums about a week ago. When I asked for pics of the bolt/nozzle aligned with the mag it turned out that the mag was sitting about 2mm too low making the nozzle ride the top of the bb instead of chambering it. If that's the case you'll need to find a way to shim the mag a little bit higher.

Sounds like that could be it, but I can't really tell if it's too low or not.

Would that be all mags, or just the one causing problems? Any idea how to get it sitting higher?

Have a look at the nozzle. The top of the loading arm should be just about level with the top of the feed lips when the magazine is inserted. The easiest way to test it out is by pushing the mag upwards a bit and see if that sorts it. As for fixing it, it would be good to find out if the problem is only happening on specific mags. If not then it might be the catch that's gotten out of

spec.

Have a look at the nozzle. The top of the loading arm should be just about level with the top of the feed lips when the magazine is inserted. The easiest way to test it out is by pushing the mag upwards a bit and see if that sorts it. As for fixing it, it would be good to find out if the problem is only happening on specific mags. If not then it might be the catch that's gotten out of

spec.

Will have a look now and post some pics. I only have 2 mags at the moment (PMAGS on route), so will test it again.

My gut feeling is that something is wrong on the SCAR itself though, which doesn't fill me with confidence 

Okay, on both of the OB mags I have it does the same.

The mags wobble slightly in the mag-well, and I can push them upwards about 2mm more, which solves the problem. So it seems like the mags aren't sitting high enough.

Since its doing this with both mags, is this a fault somewhere with the gun, wondering if I should return it as its brand new (Zero One in UK)