• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cant find HK on google, could you post a link please?

it seems that the nozzle and the rod are glued. what can be the safest way to unscrew this?   thanks in advance

Is the buffer you speak anything like this ?  

Posted Images

Can you source a new recoil rod with the rubber buffer at the back? Its the one that comes with the open bolt SCAR (not the kit). It should increase the life of part 066 more than the recoil rod that comes with the kit, which doesn't have the buffer.

Actually even the kits come with the rubber buffer, you just need to buy the new ones. The rubbered buffer isn't hard to do even ( the new ones are just de old ones retrofitted ), you just need to shorten the round part of the base of the rod ( which is easy since it's made of plastic ) and add two grooves on the side to be able to fit inside the upper receiver. Get some rubber, cut to spec and voilá.

I just did that to a couple of old guide rods, it took me 20mins to do with an x-acto knife and a dremel.

hm....apparently I had a photobucket album years ago. renewed my password for the account and now I can show you guys what I did :P

b2.jpg

b1.jpg

The pictures above are the bolt catch mod I did. The plastic used came from my packaging for a M160 G&P motor. I glued an L-shape because the perpendicular planes of the plastic including the superglue (gel type) in between it would resist shearing in both directions. Its good enough to reinforce the plastic so that it doesn't fall off after the mag pushes against it too many time or due to the recoil of the gun. Note the dimensions of the plastic; its pretty small so that nothing else on the mag would interfere with the bolt catch.

My bolt catch have these white parts on it because I tried supergluing hard white cardboard after my failed attempt with credit card plastic. The cardboard will work be wears down pretty quickly if you keep pressing down the bolt catch for dry firing with the mag mechanism set to activate the bolt catch since the metal on the mag is rubbing against the cardboard.

Anyway, here's the mod I did for my recoil rod:

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

r4.jpg

It's basically three credit card pieces cut to the right size with a hole punch through it to allow it to fit between the rubber buffer and the recoil back plate to prevent the bolt from moving too far back and catching on the hammer, jamming it and damaging it such that the nozzle cannot move freely.

Hey there people. I am completely new to airsoft and am not a member if any skirmishing sites or anything yet (still in the process of finding local sites), but have been evaluating which gbbr to get and have been following this thread with interest.

Now I know about the UKARA and VCA (I'm in the Uk) restrictions on importing/buying these items, but does anyone have any advice on where I could buy a black SCAR (open bolt version) to be delivered in the UK, or alternatively give me advice on going forward with this purchase (recommended websites for purchases etc - I have been looking at Redwolf Airsoft who seem pretty good and have a decent YouTube channel for reviews etc).

Thanks for any replies

If you want to buy it in the UK, try Tactical Quartermaster, Wolf Armouries, or Airsoft Armoury.

Ben.

Thanks Ben.

Do all of these places require you (and check) be UKARA registered or whatever the term is i.e. prove you are a skirmisher?

I'm sure I already know the answer to that, but will ask anyway - have you purchased from any of these? And also what about importing (from the likes of Redwolf, Airsoft Global, RA-Tech etc?

Sorry for all the q's

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Ben.

Do all of these places require you (and check) be UKARA registered or whatever the term is i.e. prove you are a skirmisher?

I'm sure I already know the answer to that, but will ask anyway - have you purchased from any of these? And also what about importing (from the likes of Redwolf, Airsoft Global, RA-Tech etc?

Sorry for all the q's

Thought I'd answer this. Firstly, if you know about the vcra then you should know about the defences, though they are unproven yet but thats a whole can of worms that I wont get into (unproven in a court of law not when buying from airsoft shops etc). :o If you are a member at a skirmish site that has public liability insurance, or ukara membership, you'll be fine ordering from most retailers in the uk (give them a ring, as some only accept ukara membership; they normally state that requirment on their website). Now if your importing, ukara/skirmishes diary/member of an airsoft site with PLI, will do. You're best looking in the vcra thread for clarification. :flamed:

Now, on topic. Has anyone bought an open bolt we scar and compared it to a converted closed bolt to open bolt scar? Does that make sense? :blink: The reason is, I would like to know if it is better to buy the new open bolt scar or buy an old closed bolt scar and convert to open bolt. ;)

Thought I'd answer this. Firstly, if you know about the vcra then you should know about the defences, though they are unproven yet but thats a whole can of worms that I wont get into (unproven in a court of law not when buying from airsoft shops etc). :o If you are a member at a skirmish site that has public liability insurance, or ukara membership, you'll be fine ordering from most retailers in the uk (give them a ring, as some only accept ukara membership; they normally state that requirment on their website). Now if your importing, ukara/skirmishes diary/member of an airsoft site with PLI, will do. You're best looking in the vcra thread for clarification. :flamed:

Now, on topic. Has anyone bought an open bolt we scar and compared it to a converted closed bolt to open bolt scar? Does that make sense? :blink: The reason is, I would like to know if it is better to buy the new open bolt scar or buy an old closed bolt scar and convert to open bolt. ;)

I built a few converted SCAR's and comparing them to a factory open bolt SCAR i couldn't find any visible differences.

I built a few converted SCAR's and comparing them to a factory open bolt SCAR i couldn't find any visible differences.

Doesn't the conversion kit not come with the buffer at the end of the recoil rod (see picture on WGC)?

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=searchItem&item=WE-KIT-SCAROBS&search=special&rs=we%20scar&catid=&cat=

Does anyone know what RATECH trigger components will work as a drop-in replacement for the SCAR Open Bolt? I think I recall that some of the RATECH steel trigger components don't work with the SCAR, only with AR-15 trigger boxes.

Doesn't the conversion kit not come with the buffer at the end of the recoil rod (see picture on WGC)?

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=searchItem&item=WE-KIT-SCAROBS&search=special&rs=we%20scar&catid=&cat=

Every new/recent kit and/or gun comes with the buffer already installed. Only the first batches came without them.

Does anyone know what RATECH trigger components will work as a drop-in replacement for the SCAR Open Bolt? I think I recall that some of the RATECH steel trigger components don't work with the SCAR, only with AR-15 trigger boxes.

Yes, the trigger themselves are different ( SCAR and G39 ) from the AR one, but looking at Jonhy's facebook page, correct triggers for both G36 and SCAR are on their way out.

Every new/recent kit and/or gun comes with the buffer already installed. Only the first batches came without them.

Yes, the trigger themselves are different ( SCAR and G39 ) from the AR one, but looking at Jonhy's facebook page, correct triggers for both G36 and SCAR are on their way out.

Thanks for the clarification danielsilvatongue.gif Also, a correct trigger for the SCAR! YES!biggrin.gif Now the only thing left that's really bugging me is the insanely golden shine on the tan receiver biggrin.gif

Alright just got me my SCAR in and friggin love it so far without shooting it(gas is coming ground on Thursday). But the gun looks and feels brilliant. Already fixed the stock where it stays in the intermediate positions and I broke it open and removed the bolt to swap the charging handle around and but now when I pull the bolt back it seems to want to catch a little bit at about half way, is that common? Also how are you guys speed loading up you're open bolt mags up. I got the loading tube in the box but it seems to be missing the curved thing on the front of it shown in the manual.

• 1 month later...

Alright just got me my SCAR in and friggin love it so far without shooting it(gas is coming ground on Thursday). But the gun looks and feels brilliant. Already fixed the stock where it stays in the intermediate positions and I broke it open and removed the bolt to swap the charging handle around and but now when I pull the bolt back it seems to want to catch a little bit at about half way, is that common? Also how are you guys speed loading up you're open bolt mags up. I got the loading tube in the box but it seems to be missing the curved thing on the front of it shown in the manual.

It catches a little bit half-way because that's when the hammer is pushing against the bottom of the SCAR bolt, if I'm thinking of the same thing you are. It's normal.tongue.gif

The manual I got with my full open bolt gun came with a closed bolt manual...WE didn't bother to make a new manual as far as I can tell. The loading tube should be placed straight onto the lips of the mag and use the cylindrical pusher thing to push the bbs in once you get it to the 15 bb mark (so do it twice and you'll have loaded 30 rounds). The bottom rectangle part has to be mounted in a specific way or else the bbs wont go onto the mag. If you start pushing your bbs and they don't seem to go in, try to turn the rectangle part 180 degrees and try again.

Sorry for the late reply brimm2000, I kinda lost track of this thread for a while until I saw a new post todaywink.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I have finally bought myself a SCAR L openbolt so now i have to start at the begining of this thread with a notebook & make notes of things i should be looking for on my gun. Honest i will be reading the entire thread but in the meantime maybe someone can help me.

Will the open bolt gun take CO2 mags or do i have to make some alteration to the CO2 mags?

I have a NPAS already fitted to my gun but seeing as i want to buy 10 mags if i can get them it is going to cost me £345 posted for that lot & i want to make sure they will fit.

I have finally bought myself a SCAR L openbolt so now i have to start at the begining of this thread with a notebook & make notes of things i should be looking for on my gun. Honest i will be reading the entire thread but in the meantime maybe someone can help me.

Will the open bolt gun take CO2 mags or do i have to make some alteration to the CO2 mags?

I have a NPAS already fitted to my gun but seeing as i want to buy 10 mags if i can get them it is going to cost me £345 posted for that lot & i want to make sure they will fit.

CO2 mags will fit but you need to get the conversion kits for the magazines to allow them to work in open bolt guns.

Its okay not really relavent now as the SCAR only made it half a game. Part #27 cracked in 2 places.

Sorry to hear about that bro :(

Edited by intinerious

CO2 mags will fit but you need to get the conversion kits for the magazines to allow them to work in open bolt guns.

I suspected as much,thanks for the confirmation.I already have a short cut to RA Techs mag conversions.Even with postage they will be less than half the price of buying in this Country {if i can find them in stock}

Edited by rolling-thunder

Gahhhh.. I meant to edit this into my post last night but i passed out.

Part #27 cracked in 2 places with less than 500 rounds on the and something was up with the nozzle as well. It stopped firing in auto before that. So I opened it up and noticed. At the bottom of the bolt where the nozzle goes back and forth the hammer had like bent the metal down into the nozzle and was digging into the plastic of it.

It stopped firing in auto. It would fire one shot then lock back, but locks back further than the bolt catch and I would have to take the front body pin and pull the lower off a tad to get it to return forward. Im going to try to take get some pictures up of it to see if you guys know whats up with it.

Gahhhh.. I meant to edit this into my post last night but i passed out.

Part #27 cracked in 2 places with less than 500 rounds on the and something was up with the nozzle as well. It stopped firing in auto before that. So I opened it up and noticed. At the bottom of the bolt where the nozzle goes back and forth the hammer had like bent the metal down into the nozzle and was digging into the plastic of it.

It stopped firing in auto. It would fire one shot then lock back, but locks back further than the bolt catch and I would have to take the front body pin and pull the lower off a tad to get it to return forward. Im going to try to take get some pictures up of it to see if you guys know whats up with it.

I know what you're talking about; I think its because the bolt went too far back when it is recoiling, therefore the hammer dented the 'lips' of the bolt. A simple fix is to remove the nozzle guide rails and the pin holding the nozzle in the bolt and turn the nozzle some 45 degrees to get it out of the bolt itself. Then use a pair of pilers to straighten the lips of the bolt. To fix the issue from occuring again I cut up some useless credit cards and used a hole punch to punch 2 holes into the credit car piece to shim the buffer rubber at the end of the recoil spring. I think I had some pics uploaded a few posts back. I used about 3-4 credit card pieces and that issue never occurred again.

You should also stop firing the gun once your bolt starts jamming. I bet your nozzle is pretty dented and scrapped up from the dented lips already ><;

Edited by intinerious

Cool thanks for the info that seems like it will be a simple fix. Now I need to just track down a part #27 where would I go about starting to get one of those. I think I read you can email RaTech and they maybe get them from WE.

I think RATECH can get you the parts. Also, instead of a hole punch use a drill if possible; the nubs on the buffer rubber are slightly bigger than the diameter of a hole punch. Getting access to a drill in HK is kinda hard since its not really a household item so I went with using a hole punch instead.