Tokyo Marui Pro Goggle Review

Welcome, this is a review of the new Tokyo Marui Full Face Pro Goggles with built in fan.

After coming home from my travels I accessed my secure shipping container and got out all my airsoft gear. GZ is coming and I wanted to do a ops check and full clean so I would be ready. My old, fantastic, HFC mesh mask had seen better days. After considering the risk of using rusty mesh, I benched the mask and started hunting around for another solution. There was something else too. My team now play 24h milsim games. As I was going to join them, I needed a face rig that would enable me to eat and sleep in the field, but not be a compromise on safety.

Enter the TM Pro Goggles.

(VIDEO ON MY SITE)

image_thumb.png

Tokyo Marui is one of the “old school” of airsoft companies, launching the AEG in 1992. They haven’t really been known for combat gear, instead focussing on all sorts of guns pistols and rifles.

Tmlogo.jpg

In recent years their quality level and innovations have put them back in the forefront of airsoft. These goggles are a new move, and probably the start of a range.

I first found them on this YouTube:

I bought my pair from Zero One airsoft and went for the black colour because it goes with every loadout. They are also available in green and tan.

Lets have a look at them then!

IMG_0065_thumb.jpg

In the box you get the goggles and face mask, instructions in Japanese, wipe clothe and two sticky-back cheek pads. It attaches using a wide strap with dual adjusters. In the middle is a large and secure clip. This clip is very secure and sits flush, however I suspect those with pony tails may have issue with it.

IMG_0090_thumb.jpg

Inside the mask is a plastic grill to allow air in and out of the lower part. The material is a soft flexible rubber similar to a Sansei mask. The rubber holding the goggles to the face is hard and thick, not the soft ###### we mostly see. I can feel that it would form a seal on the skin when its get hot or wet. The goggle sidings have enough space to allow the use of glasses underneath and the lens is far enough off the face to fit them in the space. This, of course, reduces the vision a little, but nothing too bad and far better than many masks.

IMG_0069_thumb.jpg IMG_0071_thumb.jpg

The side of the mask has slits cut into it to allow air passing in and out. This is part of the fan system.

IMG_0068_thumb.jpg

The Fan System.

Here is the description of the system on the box.

IMG_0064_thumb.jpg

The batteries the system uses is 2 X AAA and they clip in under the frame, which is released by passing through some clips inside by the eyebrow.

IMG_0066_thumb.jpg IMG_0070_thumb.jpg

The fan is the simple mini style often seen inside computers and harddrive caddies. They are notoriously loud as we shall see. The control for the fan is in two parts. Firstly, there is a sliding switch that starts the fan on a low setting. Then if you press the button, presumably if the goggles have misted up, the fan really kicks in and a noticeable breeze flows over your face all the way down to the mouth areas.

IMG_0072_thumb.jpg

IMG_0073_thumb.jpg

Here it is in action, you can tell it is quite loud:

(VIDEO ON MY SITE ONLY)

How do they works with helmet and coms?

I use a Bowman copy, here is the goggle fitting over the system.

IMG_0078_thumb.jpg IMG_0080_thumb.jpg

As you can see there is no issues with this one and my microphone will either fit internally or externally. With a good fit, the microphone is held off the mouth fine. I did not notice an seal being lifted by the combination.

Let’s have a look with a helmet.

IMG_0082_thumb.jpg IMG_0084_thumb.jpg IMG_0086_thumb.jpg

Fits a treat.

In the field.

I haven’t been able to skirmish this yet, so I could only test the quality of the lens by shooting it. My WA Hardballer shoots at 320fps and didn’t make a single mark. At GZ, I will have our sniper shoot it at 500fps and let you know!

The internet claims they will pass 1.2J ( Approx. 394 FPS ) with 6mm 0.25g BB. I play up to 500fps. If they break I will turn them into mesh and retest

IMG_0089_thumb.jpg

Result.

So, far they are very nice indeed and I give them 9/10.

Regards,

Basho

Regarding the noisy fan issue, I bought the ones that are sold at ebaybanned and they DO are noisy, especially when I compared them with the TM of a friend.

I found that the TM on the fast speed setting was as loud as the "eb version" on it's lowest. If I set my fan to hi-speed, then I couldn't hear a team mate talking at 5 meters and the fan was perfectly audible at more than 10 meters.

That doesn't happen with the TM version of my friend, so maybe you got a faulty fan.

• 8 months later...

Hi folks,

I just recieved mine today and I am a bit confused about the function of the fanunsure.gif

You see, I thought this was designed to be blowing lots of cold air down into the goggles but instead, there is more cold air being blown out (topside).

This would indicate that it's more of an extractor rather than blower system? it does seem to indicate this on the box and the picture above in basho's review.

Is it that I have recieved a bad copy (TM installed fan upside down) or I'm just not very clever and don't understand how usefull this concept is?

Haven't actually tried these yet in game, next CQB is 19th April.

Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...

My TM pro goggles also draw the air out of the top rather than blowing air into the mask.

I steamed mine up in the first 5 minutes of putting them on, (at the chrono station, hadn't even made the game zone), but the fan did a good job of defogging me. The batteries lasted all day easily too. Being used only when they were needed, which turned out to be quite a lot, and as the day wore on, I left the fan running longer and longer with no sign the batteries were about to give up.

This was in indoor CQB site and I haven't used them in woodland yet but I'm expecting them to fog less due to more movement.

yep, me a noob thinking it was blowing cold air into mask, clearly it was designed as an extraction system.

Anyways, it's quite effective, played a 3 hour CQB session in these, room temp was about 23c so was quite hot.

They do steam up but the fan does work to a certain extent, just don't expect miracles.

I also wear perscription glasses under the TM Pro googles so they also steam up as well. These are actually quite a good fit if you wear glasses under them, there's plenty of room in the mask.

I have just ordered the Oakley goggles with fan system, hopefully this will worth the money I paid for it. tongue.gif

• 1 year later...

Good review, I've always wondered how well these function.

Aside from the fan noise issues I would personally always go for the TM ones over a cheaper copy, you just don't know the tolereances the copy ones are made to and if they're like other stuff I've had from Ebaybanned I certainly wouldn't trust my eyesite with one of their products! It's one thing when your dropleg holster/tac vest/NVG mount falls apart but I'd rather spend a few quid more when it comes to my eyes!