Would you want her working for you?

Gorf

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh that is awsome.

Infact that just reminds me I've just put the following on FB...

"Josh is back at work again but I didn't really do anything today, just like old times :P"

Bearing in mind I only started work again today after being sacked 2 weeks ago for not hitting my sales targets :lol: and my manager regularly checks my FB pics (we have alot of work nights out ;) )

Josh

Couple of things.

1. Thats Funny

2. This is why i refuse to have anyone from work on my facebook, and my general facebook set to private

3. He says he's serious but on what grounds is she being dismissed (assuming that this was written outside of company time). She's simply expressing an opinion, not a very flattering one i'll admit but hey that's her right. So far as i can see that post has no direct impact on her performance at work thus I don't think it'd be even looked at under a performance review, besides where is the verbal and written warning for misconduct, the appeals procedure, adherance to company policy regards disciplinary actions.

Sorry for mini rant, I'm someone who has worked for power mad A$$ munch managers before, who feel that the stick method of motivation is the one and only way and the stick is your dismissal.

I SO want to see that FB account so I can read the messages that followed those :D

3. He says he's serious but on what grounds is she being dismissed (assuming that this was written outside of company time). She's simply expressing an opinion, not a very flattering one i'll admit but hey that's her right. So far as i can see that post has no direct impact on her performance at work thus I don't think it'd be even looked at under a performance review, besides where is the verbal and written warning for misconduct, the appeals procedure, adherance to company policy regards disciplinary actions.

Simple...the magic two words: Gross Misconduct. AKA "Whatever we want to sack you for". I think a direct and possible libellous attack on a fellow staffmember's character is enough for that. If he is high enough to issue a P45 directly, I think he is high enough to judge who is unfit to work for him.

Failing that, he could just find another excuse.

...Failing that, he could just find another excuse.

If she's been with them for less than two* years, he can get rid of her just for looking at him in a funny way. As long as it's not racist, sexist, ageist or handicap-ist there's nothing to stop him.

* It might be less than that now - I'm a bit out of touch with employment law, amongst other things... :(

Well, if the situation was, both of them in an off-work location, and after hours, and she happened to make the same remark to someone else and got overheard by the boss, and he fired her there and then, is it unprofessional of him to do so?

whatever the answer is, to this hypothetical question, I think the same then applies to this case.

It's not that I don't agree with sacking her, it's the way it was done. In the senario you put forward the better way of doing it would be to pull her to one side and give her the sack one to one. What the boss did here is the equivalent of shouting out in front of everybody something along the lines of "*fruitcage* you you usless *badgeress* your fired"

On a side note I just did a quick google search of "sacked facebook comments" and came up with 132000 hits. Looks like she's not the only one to get the chop for facebook comments

Edit: in your situation it would also depend on if she said it in conversation to one other person and it was overheard (like a pm of facebook) or was shouting it from the rooftops (more like the comments part of a facebook page which are open to anyone with access to that profile to look at.)

Depends on the pm. If it was worded the same then it would be a little better but not much. I personally I would have simply worded the pm as something like "we need to have a little chat at work tommorow" and then given her the boot the next day in this meeting

That has got to be one of the stupidest employees ever, and frankly i think the guy was well within his rights to say what eh did, maybe he shouldnt have sacked her through FB but definatly had the right to have a go back.

K-Wolf

he had every right to sack her there

you should have at least a bit of respect for your boss

she was telling lies about him where every one could read it (that could inspire other employees to disrespect him)

she didn't have to stay there (she was on probation) so she could have just left

anyway its really funny and i would do the same thing if i where her boss

What she said in the status wasn't in the best interests of the company, which if she had passed her probationary would more than likely mean a warning. She's still in her probationary period, and so is sackable on pretty much any grounds. Accusing the boss of sexual harrasment could also lead to dismissal

It seems simple enough - no case for unfair dismissal here. That's what the probationary period is for, to make sure that you can do the job, that you get on with the other workers, that the bosses like you and are happy to emply you, yadda yadda....

Publicly insulting your boss is a pretty good way of getting your employment terminated, surely anyone would know that.

Archived