First Aid Gear & Discussion

Murph

To help reduce the amount of chatter in the First Aid Kit Picture thread (Here) I got approval from an Admin to create this thread. It is here to discuss everything from STOMP II Packs, to MOLLE Blowout Kits, to Izzy Bandages, CATs, and all the other fun life saving equipment.

NOTE: The information and discussions contained within will by no means make you a qualified medic. If you're interested in learning First Aid please contact your local Red Cross for information on their General First Aid and CPR courses.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

perhaps to get this moving it would be cool to know what people have with them? i just finished making my second FAK for my plate carrier.

ive got

2x low adherent large dressings

3x medium gauze dressings

2x regular bandage

1x crepe bandage (just recently found out what they are for :P)

2 long strips of plasters and scissors to cut it to different sizes depending on need

compeed

small plasters

1x triangular sling

medical tape

safety pins

small scissors

sterile whipes

pair of gloves.

some of its probably a bit over the top, but i was on a cadet leadership course a couple weeks ago and my kits had quite alot of use from in the platoon. people didnt want to own up to having a twisted ankle etc because they would get sent home and not complete the course. also bandages etc dont weigh much at all!

In two years worth of first aiding while marshalling at a CQB site the most common injuries were as follows:

1. Twisted ankle. Answer? RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation).

2. Bashed head from slipping over. (the most common way to kill yourself in the world). Answer? Wear a helmet. Check no bleeding.

3. BB injury to face. Answer? Wear full face. Wash and clean wound. Dress if needed.

4. Overcome by stress. Answer? Sin Bin (yes, people like this don't want to walk off - best way is to send em off) Water, rest.

5. Tooth shot out. Answer? See 3. Emergency dentist trip or advice re super gluing one's own tooth back in.

6. Finger tips shot. Answer? Ice and cover with soft padded dressing. Will go black.

In other words, the best things I could have had on me as a medic would have been iced water, scissors, bandage, sling, antiseptic gel, medical spray wash, eye wash, small padded dressing, medical tape, superglue, a spare helmet and a spare face mask.

I'm no doctor, just the guy at work who did the first aider course.

Basho

5. Tooth shot out. Answer? See 3. Emergency dentist trip or advice re super gluing one's own tooth back in.

Believe or not, I bought a mouth guard just for this scenario. I keep in an easy to reach pouch and put it in before I go into buildings or for CQB, great investment...$4 from wal-mart and I think $10,000 worth of dental coverage if something still gets shot out.

I tend not to carry much in the way of first aid kit to be honest, and tailor it to what I'm doing. Medical shears, resusci aid, latex gloves, super glue (or waterproof spray on plaster when doing watersports), gaffa tape, glucogel and field dressings are worth carrying all the time. Safety pins can be used to improvise a sling from a shirt sleeve rather than carry a seperate bandage. Likewise using what you have on hand - climbing slings etc is always a good trick.

If i'm kayaking I'll carry a bit of cut down tarp rather than a triangular bandage ( can go over a bouyancy aid - or CIRAS i guess :P ), blister pack, plasters and micropore tape when hill walking etc. I don't ever carry a space blanket - i saw that in the other thread. As far as i know they only maintain a temperature, rather than increase it. If im carrying a sleeping bag and duvet jacket already, I don't really have need for one. Bear in mind that a sleeping bag itself is much more effective when its been pre-warmed by someone, or shared. A blizzard bag would be a light alternative. I would carry a group shelter, but then the needs of airsofters are different to that of an outdoors instructor. In airsoft theres usually a vehicle around to get people out of remote places.

Anyway the best thing to do, as others have said is to get on a first aid course to make up your own mind on what you should carry. I have only had very basic first aid training, so don't take my word for anything! My priority in an emergency would be keeping someone stable, to hand over to the guys that really know what they're doing :P

In TT Zipper Utility pouch:

3X large bandages

Many assorted band-aids

Neosporin or generic

Tweezers

Electrical tape (generally not for medical purposes)

Multitool

I'm probably going to get a more professional setup due to being the only one of my entire group of players who gives a rats *albatross* about first aid.

Fortunately, i've only ever seen one injury at an airsoft game, and that a fairly minor one.

As such, my first aid kit is a simple commercial one you can buy for your car, along with a tube of antiseptic cream... That covers most things, bandages, plasters, burn dressing, scissors and tweezers etc...

Not the most advanced kit I know, but it's more of a token gesture, i'm not trained as a first aider (the only training I have was from my Scout group ages back), but at least someone has some basic stuff with them if it's needed.

I have only had a few injurys but 3 of them required a trip to A&E so hopefully that is my quota, the worst was a player being shot in the eye.

The kit i carry in a marked 'first aid' pouch on my vest has

Plasters (various types and sizes)

Gloves

Antiseptic wipes

Conforming bandage

Sponge dressing

Adhesive Bandage

Safety pins

Large field dressing.

This will cover most eventualitys and i have never needed anything else.

curlyboy

Lets see, in the years I've been playing I've seen an eye shot, couple twisted ankles, plenty of dehydration, handfuls of cuts an scrapes.

Which reminds me, I need to get my hands on some Rehydration Salts.

Currently using a basic Lifeline FAK.

1 DELUXE CARRYING CASE

1 FIRST AID GUIDE

2 VINYL GLOVES (1 PAIR)

1 SCISSORS

2 SAFETY PINS

2 COTTON TIPPED APPLICATORS

1 MOLE SKIN

1 BLISTEX®

2 STING RELIEF PADS

1 HYDROCORTISONE OINTMENT

1 TRIPLE ANTIBIOTIC OINTMENTS

3 ANTISEPTIC TOWELETTES

1 IODINE PREP PAD

2 ALCOHOL PREP PADS

16 3/4" X 3" BANDAGES

10 3/8" X 1-1/2" BANDAGES

4 KNUCKLE BANDAGES

1 2" X 3" NON-ADHERENT DRESSING

1 3" X 3" STERILE GAUZE PAD

1 3" CONFORMING GAUZE

1 1/2" ADHESIVE TAPE

2 ACETAMINOPHEN TABLETS (2-PACK)

4 IBUPROFEN TABLETS (2-PACK)

4 REUSABLE ZIPPER-LOCK BAGS

Added more acetaminophen and allergy medication as well as a tick remover. For longer and larger games I carry a few spare rolls of guaze and additional medications in my MULE.

I used to carry an overly large FAK crammed full of trauma stuff but it was pointless. For anything more severe, my Jeep has a much better stocked first aid kit.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resuscitate this thread ( :P ), but I had a question and figured it would be better to put it in here rather than making a whole new thread.

Anyway, so I know a lot of airsofters carry FAKs, but how many of you guys actually know how to use them (I.E. certified)? I mean, yeah sure having any aid is better than none, but it would give the person you're giving aid to some peace of mind knowing that you're certified and have knowledge of what you're doing.

Being First aid/CPR/AED certified, it bugs me when people try to help thinking and the end up making things worse or they do everything wrong. I think it'd be a good idea for most airsofters to become at least first aid certified as it could come in plenny handy.

What's everyone else's thoughts on this? Oh and by no means am I trying to start a *suitcase* fight but I just want some insight as to how others feel about such a sensitive topic.

Sorry to resuscitate this thread ( :P ), but I had a question and figured it would be better to put it in here rather than making a whole new thread.

Anyway, so I know a lot of airsofters carry FAKs, but how many of you guys actually know how to use them (I.E. certified)? I mean, yeah sure having any aid is better than none, but it would give the person you're giving aid to some peace of mind knowing that you're certified and have knowledge of what you're doing.

Being First aid/CPR/AED certified, it bugs me when people try to help thinking and the end up making things worse or they do everything wrong. I think it'd be a good idea for most airsofters to become at least first aid certified as it could come in plenny handy.

What's everyone else's thoughts on this? Oh and by no means am I trying to start a *suitcase* fight but I just want some insight as to how others feel about such a sensitive topic.

Frankly, I don't think it's such a big issue. I personally am First Aid and CPR certified (not sure if I still am for AED, honestly it's not that complicated anyway), but most courses, Red Cross included, can be summed up as "here are some incredibly basic skills, call an ambulance first". Given the relatively mild nature of any injuries likely to be sustained while 'softing, I don't think anyone really has to be that picky about who helps them. I carry what most people would consider a stupidly well stocked kit (compared to a few Bandaids and Moleskin), but that has more to do with the hiking and backpacking I do. If airsoft involved more serious injuries, sucking chest wounds, flash burns, compound fractures, serious head/neck injuries, etc I would be more worried, but I would say as a general rule it is hard to seriously screw up an ankle wrap for a sprained ankle, or a pressure bandage for an unpleasant cut.

I understand that its relatively basic stuff, but people can still screw it up pretty bad (i.e. no gloves, infection, how to deal with allergic reactions). I personally feel that its better to leave it to the people who are trained to do it.

Being a lifeguard though I'm obliged to render aid when needed and I see it done wrong so often that it worries me that so many people like to play medic.

I'm just glad that the larger events spend the extra time to get certified EMT personnel at their games. Without the EMT and his peculiarly long and thin pliers, I'd still have a Throat-Mic Earbud stuck in my ear canal from a game this last May... :(

As far as the qualification thing, I agree with Pkekyo below. If I'm bleeding or can't tend to myself while after being injured, I don't care if Ray Charles is the one tying bandages on me, as long as someone stops the bleeding before I die...LOL. :)

I understand that its relatively basic stuff, but people can still screw it up pretty bad (i.e. no gloves, infection, how to deal with allergic reactions). I personally feel that its better to leave it to the people who are trained to do it.

Being a lifeguard though I'm obliged to render aid when needed and I see it done wrong so often that it worries me that so many people like to play medic.

There can certainly be issues with people who like to play doctor, but I can imagine very few situations where something got so screwed up that someone was actually in any danger. An infection can be bad, but if a person got hurt badly enough that that an infection was a major concern, they should be going in to see a doctor either right then, or after the game, same thing with bad allergic reactions, if someone is actually going into anaphylaxis and in a state that they need buddy aid, the EMTs are going to be the first call, and depending on how they are able to breathe they are getting some epinephrine.

As a general rule, I think if something is bad enough that the treatment might cause secondary damage, the subject should be seeing a doctor anyway. It may just be me, but I have a hard time visualizing a situation where not only is someone in such immediate danger that they need first aid from a stranger, but also not bad enough for whatever result to be checked out by a doctor.

• 2 weeks later...

Only nasty I've seen at a game was when someone tripped and their gun butt went into their mouth. Teeth were ok but the lip needed a bit of wound closure. Thankfully there was a paramedic on site who could do that. I (first aider) would just have to stop the bleeding and suggest they visit A&E.

I carry

gloves

gauze

personal pain meds which I wouldn't give out

plasters

I think it would be handy for a site to have

gloves

gauze

would dressings

eye wash

support bandages

ice packs

burns gell (hydrogel) - burns from a hot drink

blanket to keep someone warm if they go into shock while the ambulance comes.

can i just say no one has said about burns that much i dont know about the usa but in the uk we like grenades so burn would be the most common so all i can say is bring a bottle of watter if some one get a burn poor water over it quickly even if they say it does not help it will do!

what i carry nothing but will (have no were to put it im a young gun aka noob)

can i just say no one has said about burns that much i dont know about the usa but in the uk we like grenades so burn would be the most common so all i can say is bring a bottle of watter if some one get a burn poor water over it quickly even if they say it does not help it will do!

what i carry nothing but will (have no were to put it im a young gun aka noob)

There are not many games/fields that I've been to that allow any sort of pyro, so chances of any burns are pretty slim. I can't speak for the whole country though.

Archived