A nod to good sportsmanship

Tarnish

Don't get me wrong; I'm not suggesting everyone at the site is involved, nor that all site teams are complicit. It's usually just a few bad eggs causing the stink. Unfortunately as you all know, the sort of stink they make is more than enough to put anyone off. :)

I feel that I've been lucky in that respect so far - at my local site, NCIS, the regulars are all good sports and we never have any problems with cheating or hit taking.

The only times I've seen trouble is when we have other teams visit or the inevitable stag-dos.

There's no doubt that private days in general and in my experience milsim based games attract generally a higher standard of player and therefore behaviour. I can quite understand Marlowe when he explains his reluctance to take friends along to a walk on day given the "special and interesting" people that often pitch up on a Sunday. As regular players I think we gain some little modification to our brains that enable us to if not tune out the bizarre behaviour of other at least to be able to cope with it. My wife has mentioned about coming along one day to watch and I'm really not keen lest major embaressment is the result!

No mistake though the great attitude of the guy I bang killed that day more than made up for any other minor annoyances, even the front of my Systema red piston breaking off! (Yes it was an old one but I thought I'd try it to see how long it lasted. Just over two game days it turned out!)

• 3 months later...

Was at Fireball Squadron the other month and it was my first game. My mate had moved up and had took a hit and I was crouched down a couple of meters back watching the rough area where they would come. Needless to say one came around the corner so I opened fire and he ducked behind cover. I fired a few more rounds towards them and they through a smoke grenade out. Thinking that two could play that game I moved into the smoke and remained crouched and opened fire again. I moved a bit to the left to keep them guessing and in hope that they would think I wasn't the only one there and fired again. Only this time I was greeted with a few rounds to the chest. Called hit and raise my hand up, due to our position near the main path we were asked to move from the area and we did so. With one of the chaps saying "Good shooting. You kept us guessing" I was well chuffed as I moved off to find a medic.

Last month when i played at skirmish billericay. me an one guy where have a shoot out for about 5 mins neither of us getting the upperhand or being able to hit the other. one shooting then making a retreat while the other hides, then we move up on each other. in the end i made a retreat and phone my m8 to find out what happend to everyone else and the game had ended about 2 mins before i called him. after this i proceeded to walk back to the safe zone when the guy i was having a shoot out with run up behind me and whistled. i turned round and he said "i guess the games over." Was some good banter following the walk back to the safe zone and then ended up having sort of a duel for the rest of the day seeing who could get the other out 1st

I was laying in a bush, prefectly camoflauged. Another kid was crawling up in the same bush, slightly to my side. He looks over my way and i look over his way, and we both raise our hands at the same time, we smile, say "hit!" get up, and walk to the safe zone. I'm glad there are good sportsman.

I am glad you guys have good players there. Here what people do when your trying to be sneaky is theyll say "HEY NICE SHOT DIDN'T EVEN SEE YOU THERE" out loud so their team mates can here them. Real *rickrolls* I play with, I wish I could play in the UK some time, sounds alot better than it is in the US.

Ghosting.

Both team leaders will shoot the living *suitcase* out of them if any of their teammates do that.

One clip or until they run their asses to the rest area and STFU.

We kill zombies here with combined firepower , 300 bb's (one clip) minimum .

People learn real fast or leave for good real fast playing with the 2 teams i play regularly with. :D

Quality players= Fun for all + quite a lot less complaints.

• 5 months later...

also stumbled across someone waiting in ambush for some others on my team. im 80% sure i got my rifle on him first and said surrender, but he got his pistol out before i could be sure, so we had a bit of a stand off like "wtf now?". neither of us shot, we just called it a stalemate and went to respawn, which i appreciate more than being able to claim a "bang kill".

Best way to call it is wth good old Rock, Paper, Scissors =D

At Sennybridge this past weekend for TA's Chenarus conflict part 1, I was shooting at some guys stacked up on the corner of another building, giving them mainly harassing fire, just enough to keep them from coming round the corner but not to be hitting anyone constantly. One shot I took flew straight towards the guy on the corner, hit him square in the chest, no way he would have felt it, he must have heard it though as he looked down, raised his arm and saw me in a window 55/60 metres away and gave me a thumbs up with his arm in the air.

Top bloke that one.

Sunday, I was playing an Attack and Defend the hill game, with me on the Defending team.

Only about 5 minutes into the game, I heard a bb hit me, ever so quietly.

I actually got confused on whether I had kneeled down on a branch or something because it was so faint, but I looked down and there was a bb sitting right infront of me. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, called hit, and yelled good hit, which was replayed promptly by "Thanks for calling that bro!" Walked off the field after that feeling pretty good, to give a guy a very well deserved hit. 1 shot from 180 feet away, square in the chest is pretty impressive.

The player who shot me and his buddies are fairly new to our field, and they can't help but praise our team constantly for calling hits, after coming from a field where it's infamous for the cheaters.

I'm proud to say that almost all of the people i play with are fairplay. Very rarely do i get an intentional invincible dude. To prove my point:

CQB, two long coridors perpendicular to each other. I walk slowly on one end of the T with my AK74U ready trying to be as stealthy as possibile. I reach the corridor that's perpendicular to the one i was walking one and slowly peek around with my gun at the ready. Around the corner, 10 cm from my barrel end, a dude with 3 dudes behind him in a stack, EXACTLY the moment when he was faced away from me, most likely signaling the entry procedure. I don't shoot, he turns and notices me, i step back, and then i hear the dude calling out 'HIT!' and leaving. I didn't even have to say BANG. Not that i had time to anyway, but still. The rest of the stack charged in 5 seconds after that, with me no where to be found, ofcourse.

Prime example of how i like my airsoft.

• 2 weeks later...

It does anoy me when you see dead players on both sides telling thier team mates where they were shot and enemy locations.

I had sneaked around the flank on one occasion and came upon 6 more enemy players facing away from me. I shot the closest one on semi and ducked down again, hoping I could pick them off one at a time, however he immediately starting shouting to his team mate that there was someone behind them and he had been shot; To which his team mate said "If you've been hit, then stop talking, I'm not interested"!

I expected his team mate and the remaining people to head in my direction, instead he carried on in his original direction as if he had not been warned. There's sportsmanship! I feel a bit guilty for it but I tagged him too and moved up the line taking out four of the six.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a bit of a moment with a guy at combat zone last week. He ran out of the bushes and I shot him, forgetting I still had my dead flag on my head since before I'd been mediced (Im generally not used to using them). He quite rightly pointed this out and we had a thought for a few seconds, then agreed to run in opposite directions for 20 seconds and try again.

I dont mention names with unsportsmanship but I feel I ought to when the person is a good sport.

3 weeks back, I was at SWAT Urban and sitting round a corner waiting for targets. 'Buddy' (dont know his real name) came round and we both fired. I hit him, didnt feel anything so carried on.

Later on, he came to me and said "I thought I'd got you then but I thought "Guzzi always takes his hits". Checked my gun and the mag was out of ammo".

I thought that was a really nice comment, and it made my day :)

I actually had a beautiful Mexican stand off at the mall yesterday one of the shops near the white door spawn site had a guy pop out in the back as I went in, we both missed each other and had a friendly chat about how I think he should get me a McDonalds and him saying he had my Big Mac with him already and all I had to do was come and get it.

Now being an aggressive played I put my rifle down (your ole XM guzzi :D) took out my pistol and sprinted jumping against the wall next to the doorway and as he came out point at the wrong side I fired my pistol at his face mask (all I could see) ......

only to hear a beautiful dead man click, shouted *suitcase* and sprinted off laughing literally as I jump skidded over the cashiers desk into cover he got one shot on the side of my head and despite the pain I was like wtf that was an amazing shot! I shouted this over and we had a quick chat after the game shook hands and that as it was a beautiful shot especially after my beautiful lol of finding I had no gas left in the clip.

:D

• 9 months later...

My humble offering:

I was at gunman tuddenham lying in the bracken with my mp5 waiting for the go on the objective. Suddenly some twerp with a bar 10 shoots me from about 5m, I was fuming until his buddy (assuming spotter) said "that wasn't fair" and shot him with his gbb. Made me keep my faith that there are players that uphold the rules. GMA guys are some of the best I've shot with. Kudos!

Playing at UCAP Virus last Sunday, and had found a nice hidey hole in one of the offices just off of the path labs, one of the opposition players can rushing into my office, and took a short burst to the chest. Instead of shouting hit and giving my position away, we laughed about it, and he stepped right back in to the back of the office.

In fact, one of his team mates followed him in, took a short burst to his backpack, which he didn't feel, as he turned round, he saw my barrel pointed at him, his dead team mate, and me sat on one of the tables, and took the hit after his team mate pointed out he had been hit!

Just the general standard of play and player across the whole site deserves a mention!

Later daze

Lee

Wow Wolfpack Mega-necroposting there.

But my best sportsman ship nod was in a game at Bristol Indoor (when it was FCS). Hiding in a dark room exchanging shots with a guy with a gas shottie with my Detonics. At one point he moves back into cover and all that is exposed is the tiniest bit of his arm and jacket. The shot cuffs the jacket and all i hear is 'bloody good shot, will happily take a hit for that'. Made me laugh though i know many cheats would just shirk that and say, yeah only hit my jacket not me etc.

'FireKnife'

Played a game on Sunday at a new site that is about to open, the site is invite only and they were playing some team days in the run up to opening so they could try out the games and see if there was any work that needed to be done.

Anyway at this game there was about 15 or so from the team and about 7 friends of the team, these were the most honest group of players I have ever played with. It was the friendliest, most relaxed game I have played and really set the bar for what I will compare other games too, it was that good. There was one marshell for about 10 minutes but she ended up joining in as there was no need. Not a single person was accused or even remotely thought of not taking a hit.

It was brilliant and a big testament to the quality of the team who run the site.

I had an occasion at eversley a few years back while sniping... I was in Laying up in some high ground over an objective where I had set up my claymore, I was mainly observing what was going on really... Some while later dude approached the objective and casually walked through the trip wire and boom... Claymore successfully peppered him... Now considering there was no one else in the area at all he raised his hand and called hit... I know alot of players would have looked around, seen it's clear and not called hit... And to top it off as he was walking away dead he shouted "if I find you I'll get ya" whilst laughing...

When the game ended and I returned to the safe zone, found the chap and had a good laugh about it with him... He told me how he was keeping an eye out for mines/trip wires but was distracted by movement on the hillside and ended hitting the trip... The movement was probably me too! Top fella though for calling the hit... That said my cross hairs were firmly hovering over him should he have stopped long enough :)

Archived