'Gangland' game - What ideas do people have?

TwinTurboCH

OK, so seeing the Prohibition Era game thread brought back memories of my Airsoft Adventures days when 'Gangland' games were a regular occurance, both historic (prohibition days) and modern. This got me thinking, and chatting to my other airsofting mates, and we thought it could be fun to organise.

I'm getting some ideas together for games/rules/weapons etc but I'd be interested to know a couple of things.

Primarily, would people in the U.K be interested in this sort of game if it were organised?

Secondly, what ideas do people have?

Mods: I did look to see if there were any similar threads in the last two years but found nothing. If I missed it you have my sincere apologies.

Is this thread opposed to the prohibition era thread?

As in, on the prohibition thread we are beeing fairly strict on what guns and clothing people can use, all from 1920-30s or look alikes.

Is this more for the 60-90s? or have i missed the point completley?

Sounds like a good idea TBH :P, it'd give me a chance to use the pistol uzi in my posetion.

As i am gathering this is not involving the Prohibition era, or hope not as that is what the other thread is for then i am not interested, the whole aiming to the side and wearing pathetic clothing doesn't do it for me.

If it was more militia gangland like a civil war on the streets with proper aiming and ideas then yes, but if it is tracksuits, bad aiming and hip hop music then a big no from me.

'FireKnife'

As i am gathering this is not involving the Prohibition era, or hope not as that is what the other thread is for then i am not interested, the whole aiming to the side and wearing pathetic clothing doesn't do it for me.

Then why post about how you're having a pissy fit about it? This a fourm, not your personal diary.

[edit] I may also add that I am thinking of getting a M11 this may tempt me that bit more.

Let me clarify LOL

This is NOT prohibition era type stuff, nor is it bloods vs crips. I was thinking more along the lines of SWAT type cops vs Mafiosi vs Columbian cartel.

So a variety of weapon rules would be in place for each team depending on their 'role'.

For example, the SWAT and Mafiosi teams would potentially be allowed a sniper because well armed police units usually have a sniper and the mafia have been know to carry out hits with snipers. Another example would be the Cartel being armed with AK's and SLR's like you'd typically find in the part of the world they hail from etc etc etc

I'll post some more detail later as I'm posting this from the iPhone. :)

Now that is more like it, makes a bit more sense to me now.

For that i would be down, maybe a special Tony Montana style last game where one bloke with a M16 and M203 goes beserk and you have to hit him so many time to take him out etc.

Though in my opinion you would have to have less but better armed players on the police side versus a mass of drug smugglers with M11's and pistols on the other side.

'FireKnife'

or in the words of Harry from in bruges; An Uzi? I'm not from south central , I didn't come here to shoot twenty black ten year olds in a drive-by. I want a normal gun for a normal person.

think it would be cool to do a SWAT/FED vs organised crime game.

as long as i didnt have to wear jeans 10 sizes to big for me

OK, so seeing the Prohibition Era game thread brought back memories of my Airsoft Adventures days when 'Gangland' games were a regular occurance, both historic (prohibition days) and modern. This got me thinking, and chatting to my other airsofting mates, and we thought it could be fun to organise.

I'm getting some ideas together for games/rules/weapons etc but I'd be interested to know a couple of things.

Primarily, would people in the U.K be interested in this sort of game if it were organised?

Secondly, what ideas do people have?

Mods: I did look to see if there were any similar threads in the last two years but found nothing. If I missed it you have my sincere apologies.

Funnily enough I've been thinking about this alot recently. I find it strange the way that 'Gang' based games have gone out of favour with the airsoft community over the years. I remember, probably going back eight years ago or more when there were a fair few at sites that I remember hearing about and at the time a friend and I were organising private games with such themes and they were a blast.

I just find it odd that airsoft seems to be restricting itself to predominantly military themed games, and although it does make sense, it does limit variety. Personally I'm interested more in the guns that are used in 'gang' based games and think that using such themes in airsoft really add flavour to games, and I talk from experience.

Some things I have found are that usually smaller games work better (this is usually due to more complex scenarios), ammo or mag limits are good, and that strong team (gang) colour 'loadouts' can be very fun to do. Not only that but it allows you to use a whole variety of weaponry without worrying that you're going to be outgunned by AEGs with drum mags. The games we used to play involved mostly pistols, shotguns, a few SMGs (if the 'SWAT' were involved all were armed with MP5s) and hardly ever any AEGs.

Although I'd love to see such games, it's hard to see them ever become overly popular and me being stuck where there aren't too many sites, I doubt I'll be going to one any time soon.

DK.

None of the games i ever played at FCS Bristol could be called 'military' themed, like whack a mole and pig pen, both loads of fun. Though we did have the odd counter strike and predator games which were great too.

But just about every woodland site i have been to seems focussed on the usual military based games.

'FireKnife'

'FireKnife'

See, in many of our games we had a variety of gangs at various times, and what it did was to enable players to have a choice of roles and loadout styles. The mafia type was a staple of most of our games (a chance to get nicely suited and booted), we had police which allowed geardos their jollies. We had a biker/punk type gang which normally had an chaotic role within most scenarios (and was very fun to play in).

We also had a more generic gang, akin to the Bloods, Crips or La Eme, which was more informal in terms of loadout (and perhaps which you, FireKnife, like myself, would not be so keen on). But again it added variety and choice and was also good for new players to get a taste of the game, as they could simply borrow a gun, wear some appropriate clothing and away they went. Not only that but this gang was good at creating a realistic sense of gangs shooting for show (firing sideways etc.) vs. the professional approach of the police :P

In terms of scenarios, we tried alsorts, some which worked very well, some that were pretty much failures, but being private games we didn't have to worry about a loss of profit or anything (which is maybe another reason why such games aren't held as much?). We had straight up gang fights, drug deals, assassinations, robberies, hostage situations etc. I think one of the more inventive ones was a party in which two hitmen at to hit a target and try to escape alive, that was pretty fun, chaotic, but fun.

We did link some scenarios into a campaign at one point, which was fun, but is hard to keep a track of. But we added such things as money management, so that gangs had to spend money for new recruits (i.e. pay to respawn dead players after a game), buy weapons, ammo and also earn money from drug deals and robberies. It worked ok, but was quite complicated (we were a little overambitious at times) and just a shame it didn't go on for longer. I seem to remember having some of it written down, like rules etc. I'll see if I can find them out.

DK.

Let me clarify LOL

I was thinking more along the lines of SWAT type cops vs Mafiosi vs Columbian cartel.

I would suggest you get in contact with Josh from Gunman Airsoft

http://www.gunmanairsoft.co.uk/

He had exactly that sort of weekender planned for STANTA in early Sept....until the MoD pulled the site for extra training (Tex-Mex border scenario - drug cartel, local hoodlums, local police and Texas Rangers)

The main aim behind the scenarios is reducing the amount of shooting, making arrests, breaking out of custody and all the sort of stuff you might see in the films.

It is being re arranged, with a likely locality to be The Mall in Reading, sometime in November. You can see more details on the ENFORCER section of the GMA forums.

My lot are all set to turn up in sharp dark suits, whites shirts and black ties.

The main aim behind the scenarios is reducing the amount of shooting, making arrests, breaking out of custody and all the sort of stuff you might see in the films.

In the campaign that we had, the arrests worked great, as we made it a more appealing option for both the police and the gangsters. If the police made arrests then they got considerably more 'money' than simply shooting gangsters, and gangsters who were arrested simply had to pay bail for the next game which was considerably less than the 'recruitment' fee.

It sounds fairly complicated for airsoft rules, but it worked very well, and the tension created with the arrests was great; espcially if the police had it as their objective to arrest a gang leader for example. I don't know how your site will work it, but if done well, I'll have no doubt that all players will find it a really fun new aspect to their game as we did. It really does add new twists to games, as it's not just a case of, I'll either shoot my opponents or... erm, shoot them. Just makes a refreshing change if you're tiring of standard games. As the old adage goes, 'a change is as good as a rest'.

Just remember if you're the one getting arrested, be sure to have a Colt .25 or similar hidden on your person to aid escaping, works a treat ;) This thread has really brought back some memories :)

DK.

Twin turbo, if you look back in the dusty cobwebs of the FCS forum, I proposed one of these back when EW was still open. Never happened of course. I think Josh at Gunman is definitely the most likely operator to sort it out in any near future. I'll be there with bells on.

My old idea involved a police HQ, gang lair (featuring bangin' tunes) and "the streets" inbetween - naturally some people immediately wanted to be an elite swat team. I quite fancied just being a detective with a sidearm only. The Mall with it's sound isolation would be ideal.

Archived