Marui L96

scar527

Hi guys

Like you all i am very tempted to get this gun, i have a Warrior L96 which is poo out of the box!!

clean it. you'll be surprised what it can do.

I was thinking of upgrading with pdi hop chambers, zero trigger etc etc, all in a very expensive list of upgrade parts just to get it shooting well,

keep the standard unit. the pdi is poo. well documented poo.

Trigger wise the TM has metal parts/sears/housing etc and the trigger is fully adjustable so no need for a Zero trigger?!?!

the Well has metal sears. the TM VSR has metal sears. the trigger units of both cant take powerful springs. and power aint everything either.

PDI have already announced here on arnies that they have developed a cylinder/head/piston/nozzle and spring guide for the TM L96 so thats all good

TM hop chambers are ment to be some of the best in the business so no need to change that, just hop rubber & maybe a SCS nub and a tightbore

What else is needed???

buy one and let folk know!

All in all i think it could be a winner. Im sold and am buying one ASAP!

let us know how it is please!

Al

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes £239 is the only UK price i have seen so far, and the shop in question is always 10-15%+ more expensive than most, lets hope for £170-£180

Mag changes on the TM will be a lot easier than the Warriors etc

And the TM's hop adjustment system will be way easier than messing about with allen keys like the Warrior L96 hop uses.. useless thing that it is! just hope i can sell my Warrior before its too late!!

£180 into £239 isnt a 10 - 15% increase...

Well shmook

I cleaned the Warriors barrel thorougly & hop chamber, Alligned barrel to hop chamber, de greased the cylinder & piston and re greased with good CA stuff. Then tightened everything as best i could

End result, FPS went up from 430 to 460... good! but the hop unit still wont work, with .20g blaster devils the shots were tracking up by 1 foot at 35 metres (with hop totaly off) and with .36's it was doing the exact opposite with full hop,

All in all, unusable! i like accuracy

As for wanting a bit more power out of the TM L96, my site allows 500fps bolt action rifles and as i like to use heavy ammo for less wind deflection, 500 it will be!

I'm still a fan of the 'posh-shot'. I have yet to have the opportunity to implement it but when I do.........................

I'm going to break cover, standing bolt upright, with non-firing hand in the air behind me, fencing style. :D

Greg.

I used to shoot target air pistols at competition level, so I think that's where I get the habit.

Also, makes sense for me, as 99% of the time I'm holding my rifle in the off-hand :lol:

I managed it at GZW - walking slowly across a crossroad under heavy fire, and managed to fire the whole magazine off without getting hit :D

Ben.

you get 0 fps difference using .2s? what brand, i could do with getting some, so many brands are have pathetic tolerances in both weight and dimensions that the fps will fluctuate. (edit) Yeah i knew i'd heard of skan but it was primarily because of their rifles, i'm more an airgunner than an airsofter, hadn't encountered their chrono as of yet though.

Blaster & Devils. The variance normally shows up as tenths if you have a chrono that shows that.

I also have a Skan mini AR. Mike Childs (SKAN) actually started out by making chronos (over 25 years ago), before he did rifles. ;)

Greg.

I used to shoot target air pistols at competition level, so I think that's where I get the habit.

Also, makes sense for me, as 99% of the time I'm holding my rifle in the off-hand :lol:

I managed it at GZW - walking slowly across a crossroad under heavy fire, and managed to fire the whole magazine off without getting hit :D

Ben.

I can't wait to post my first posh-shot kill. :D Hopefully I'll get one in two weeks at Bramley. ;)

Greg.

I see on the PDI upgrades that they list a complete cylinder set and a carbon steel second sear (plus other bits) for the TM L96 AWS.

They also show the Marui second sear and its made from pot metal so i am guessing this is the weak link in the trigger system when upgrading the power!?!?

X-Fire are listing the cylinder set (non vacuum piston) and second sear for 17,465 Japanese yen or about £117.15

Mind you its anyones guess as to how much it will cost when it hits UK shops!

I hope PDI also make a fluted full length barrel for the TM L96 as well, they look sweeeet with a type 1 flash hider!

Firesupport and Combat South are listing the TM L96 AWS for about £240, Wolf Armouries seem to want to charge £299... HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! good luck wolf, wont be buying from you!!

Have got mine on order from Zero One as its my local shop and i know the boss ;)

Al

Good news about the parts, no sign of a barrel for it yet though, then theres the decision between 6.05, 6.01 and 6.03; looking at the selection it appears, the sears are compatible? and that the l96 uses gspec barrel spacers; good news if this is the case, as i can dust off the parts of my vsr and swap them over.

Tanio Koba twist barrels are great at velocities of about 328fps but above that they dont work, basicly the airflow is too turbulent at higher FPS and as most people will be upgrading to 4-500fps (or more for you crazy yanks!) that barrel wont be much use,

To explain heres a quote from an article here on Arnies;

Quote" Tanio Koba TWIST Inner Barrels.

After years of hearing and reading endless debates about Tanio Koba Twist inner barrels, and after years of hunting for them, I've finally acquired a couple of them in various lengths for various guns from AEGs to GBBs.

Here are my initial findings:

These inner barrels shoot STRAIGHT. They have an extremely predictable, flat and straight flight trajectory. Where standard hop up will cause the BB to gently curve up before dropping, TWIST (or cyclone) inner barrels will cause the BB to go extremely straight for an even further effective range before dropping.

To set a clear and definitive answer for all the debates that have floated on the internet for years:

Q1. "How is it physically possible to have a rifled barrel impart a spin on the BB and combine it with the Magnus effect of the hop-up? It is two totally different axes of rotation!"

A1. Actually, the barrel ISN'T "rifled" in the standard sense of a real gun. Yes, the inner barrel has spiral rifling grooves in it, but the BB does NOT touch the groove. The purpose of the TWIST inner barrel is not to put a rifling spin on the BB. It is to put a "cyclone" of air around the BB, to help float it through the inner barrel and PREVENT the BB from touching the side walls of the inner barrel at all. The result of this is higher accuracy, more predictable trajectory and greater effective range.

Q2. "I've heard about power requirements for these inner barrels. Details?"

A2. What you've heard is true. The twist inside these inner barrels are optimized for guns that shoot NO MORE than 1 Joule or 330fps with 0.20g BBs. Some internet debates claim that if you have a higher powered gun, all you need to do is use heavier BBs to slow down the velocity of the shot. NOT TRUE. The air moving around the BB will still be beyond 1 Joule and it will affect the shot trajectory.

Q3. "What happens beyond 1 Joule or 330fps with 0.20g BBs?"

A3. Up to 330fps, the results of the shot and even the shots dropoff are very predictable, accurate and flat. Groupings remain tight with very little spread. However, once the velocity of the shot begins to exceed that limit, the shot starts to become unpredictable with increased spread. The higher the velocity, the greater the perceived spread.

Q4. "So how accurate are these inner barrels compared to other brands such as Prometheus, KM TN or Systema?"

A4. At this time, I have not done any quantitative comparitive range testing to get accuracy results. When used within its optimized power range, I can outright say that these inner barrels have a MUCH straighter trajectory, greater effective range and a generally much more predictive flight path than any other barrel I've used before.

There is a project underway for an indoor range test to compare various lengths of these barrels against other barrels at different power ratings (stock, 1Joule and 400+fps).

How do I like these inner barrels? I love them. I wish they worked well at 400fps. At 360fps, they are still very acceptable and I will take that in to consideration when using them in some of my guns.

But for now, I am FOR SURE putting these inner barrels into all my pistols and low powered AEGs."

"I've tried TK barrels in a number of guns and was convinced they were less effective than a tight bore barrel due to both a significant drop in FPS and very limited range... Then I heard they work better on lower velocity guns, and all my experiments had been with guns in the 350+ FPS (w/ .25g BB) velocity range...

So I cut down a TK M16 barrel I had gathering dust and threw it in my stock G&G UMG - just as a test.

The gun chrono'ed 250 FPS w/ .25g BBs... But the range was incredible! Even at 250 FPS, and with a barrel shorter than a stock MP5 barrel, I was easily reaching out and touching targets at ranges past 60 meters. My UMG (which prior to this had trouble even shooting across a 30 meter parking lot - with a Madbull tightbore installed) was now outshooting M4s that were pushing 350+ FPS w/ .25g BBs.

Color me impressed..." end quote

I will wait for a PDI 6.01 made for the TM L96

Al

Read the post before mine.. or should i say link and youll understand why i was saying what i did

You are right of course.

I did notice that it was kind of a response to the fact that a Koba was available.

&

You would rather wait for a PDI 6.01........................................ :D

Greg

Well Trasher i will be (hopefuly) getting mine any day now, my first upgrade will be a heavier spring. will try to post some accuracy tests pre upgrade and after, should hopefuly have some SCS nubs by then too so will do tests on those too. this wil all be done with the standard inner barrel.

Next upgrades will be the PDI cylinder parts & second sear. then tightbore

And guys, as for hop rubbers, are TM ones ok? (this will be my first TM gun) and are Firefly hop rubbers realy that good??

I think some mods will be needed, i know quite a few VSR users that are on their 2nd or 3rd trigger sear

X-Frie show a photo of the TM VSR 2nd sear in their TM L96 section (possibly identical part VSR/L96?) and it doesnt look so good, pot metal nastyness at its finest, see below, i will definatly upgrade to a carbon steel 2nd sear when my TM one breaks

post-42259-1253841399_thumb.jpg

And guys, as for hop rubbers, are TM ones ok? (this will be my first TM gun) and are Firefly hop rubbers realy that good??

I'm a fan of the stock Marui rubber.

I got one of the lalax ones when they first came out & it always under hopped. Granted, I may have got a duffer, but others have the same problem, so it puts me off getting another. It's main selling point is the 'superior seal' that it is designed to give. I never found any benefit, ie a raise in fps.

I have one of my vsr's on a firefly hard (the others on Marui), it shoots the same as the others, no noticeable difference.

When I do customer guns, I never swap out the hop rubber unless specifically requested & if asked, I recommend the Marui over all others.

My only concern about the marui, is longevity, the firefly hard has out lived the marui.

By all means give alternatives a try but like Trash says about the barrel, see what you think of the stock stuff first. ;)

Greg.

Just out of curiosity, I'm ordering one with the OD stock... :) Out of all the sniper rifles I owned and tested, Marui was the best by far. My old and beaten VSR served me well in the last 3-4 yrs. Even if I dislike the L96 feeding system, time to test the newcomer!

PS: I 2nd the high quality of TM rubbers for low fps setups.

Just out of curiosity, I'm ordering one with the OD stock... :) Out of all the sniper rifles I owned and tested, Marui was the best by far. My old and beaten VSR served me well in the last 3-4 yrs. Even if I dislike the L96 feeding system, time to test the newcomer!

PS: I 2nd the high quality of TM rubbers for low fps setups.

I look forward to seeing your opinion on this gun.

Greg.

Archived