Marui L96

scar527

Hey guys, after a little help. I picked up an upgraded TM L96, it has the PDI HD Cylinder set installed, but at the moment it seems very stiff to rack the bolt both pulling it back and the return. I started to strip it but as Ive never stripped a spring rifle before I stopped once I had taken the trigger off. How do I get the cylinder out ? also it seems the original cylinder support rings are still in place, am I right in thinking these need to be either removed or filed down to make them wider ?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ah... ok.

remove the receiver from the stock (3 big screws)

remove the BB feeder (black plastic bb ramp)

remove the scope rail so you will have acces to one small screw that blocks the barrel and take that one down

unscrew the barrel from the receiver

remove the trigger

you have access to your cylinder now.

To those who own this gun, what are it's flaws, and pro's over standard systems ( VSR-10, L96, etc.)? I'm looking for a new sniper platform to upgrade off of, and my hating of the VSR-10 externals and L96 internals have led me to this gun! I like the idea of having a gun already completely designed for air seal, but I'm worried that the system is far too complicated & the magazines are bogus. Any help provided would be greatly appreciated, I'd like to stay in the sniping game, but if I've got terrible choices (like the VSR-10 and Type 96), I'm afraid I'll have to head back to AEGs...

Have you ever had any feeding issues or magazines problems with the L96? I'm most worried about the magazine and feed ramp system, it seems too complicated. I've also heard of problems with the magazines, saying they needed to be modified to load/unload correctly, can you speak to that effect?

Hmm, this is seeming more and more like my next build... I believe I'll go with these upgrades:

- TNT Sniper Shop MMC 500 FPS Tune-Up kit for the TM L96 AWS (90 degree trigger, cup-seal piston, ball bearing spring guide, air seal cylinder head, 500 FPS spring)

- PDI End Screw for Bolt Handle

- PDI End Cap for Outer Barrel

- PDI G-SPEC Barrel Spacers (2 sets)

I don't think I'll touch the inner barrel, hopup components, or cylinder, and I don't want to attempt any modifications to the magazines.

How does this all look?

i am curios to see a link to that kit because i want to see the spring. never heard of a more powerfull spring than PDI 140 and i am curios what they actually use.

the rest should be fine, i went thru the whole PDI ordeal, cylinder, piston, trigger, barrel, spacers, spring, guide, endcap, etc etc etc..

Here's a link, I'd imagine it's the equivalent of a PDI 140 spring.

I considered going the PDI route, but I haven't the tools to polish the various rings in the receiver, and I am not fond of PDI's piston design. If I were to go with PDI, it'd be solely because of the spring guide and spring, the wider diameters make them easier to pull back.

Hey guys, after a little help. I picked up an upgraded TM L96, it has the PDI HD Cylinder set installed, but at the moment it seems very stiff to rack the bolt both pulling it back and the return.

I had this same issue, and after applying quite a few squirts of silicone lube spray the action is a lot smoother. The best, so I've heard is Abbey silicone grease which is on the shopping and to do list this week.

Mods to my AWS so far:

PDI HD cylinder set

Diamond Ring 1st and 2nd sears

KM 500mm length, 6.4mm diameter inner barrel

Laylax purple hop rubber

PDI 140 spring

Currently chronoing at 460 fps with 0.2's, 400 fps with 0.29's

Bit too early to gauge long distance accuracy as the hop is still bedding in, though at 45 meters (147 feet) it is capable of hitting the torso of a target reasonably accurately and precisely

I'm by no means an expert on BA's, to the contrary, I've only just started using my modded TM AWS but I thought I'd pass on one issue I seem to have had and solved. I had 1 in 4 BB's jam (on average over 10 mag loads) when using Madbull 0.3g pellets (the bolt would not return fully and seemed as though the pellet was stuck just before entering the barrel), which prompted me to call up John at Firesupport (who supplied the rifle) and he informed me that there is a higher density material used for the core of the pellets that is a bit squishy so the pellets can be deformed easily. He suggested trying the Maruzen 0.29's which I did, not an issue since in over 8 mag loads.

I hope that helps anyone who's suffered the same frustration (being under fire by 4 guys while your rifle jams constantly is not enjoyable unless you're a masochist!)

John is telling you porkies to sell more of his stock of SGM's (and at £15 per 500 who can blame him). make sure the loading ramp is clean and Dry from all grease/oil/silicone, I have found madbulls are fond of anything sticky unless they are washed (regular water is good but distilled is better).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys,

One of my friends and I are building what will become a sortof-replica of the German G22, based on the Marui L96.

Well, I'm going to do most of the building, he's the one funding it.

Anyway, I've got most of the parts here now, save for the Laylax spring guide that I guess will arrive next week.

Most, if not all, of the internals will be Laylax, including an M150 spring that we hope will give somewhere around 500fps (550 is the absolute max for bolt actions here).

I've read up on stuff in this thread, and I think I've got most stuff covered; except for the hopup rubber.

I've got two types here now - the Firefly Hard Chamber Pack, and the Nine Ball Air Seal Chamber Packin. Which will be the best for our desired fps?

Archived