Marui L96

scar527

Another day, another update, another round of slightly destroyed parts and expense...

So, I chronoed the 130 and got a disappointing 290 out of it. This is the same as stock so I'm slightly baffled. I decided to ignore this until I got the zero trigger incase it miraculously cured it - reasoning that it wasn't worth the extensive stripdown/rebuild time if something else were changing.

So, zero trigger (and piston) arrive. With the 140 spring fitted and the PDI cylinder, the system will cock and fire. Still stiff to push back but not as bad as previously. I'm beginning to suspect the horrendous bolt return is a combination of stress on the 2nd sear and tightness of the PDI piston. I suspect some grease may improve matters here. Didn't want to overdo it, since although everything is working, the PDI piston is 45 degrees (ish) and probably won't do the zero trigger much good.

Attempted to use Laylax piston, but cannot engage the sears at all. Looking at this I suspected that the internal size was different and reasoned that if I chopped the 130 spring down a bit, it would be short enough for the laylax piston to engage with the sear but still provide similar energy. Imagine my surprise when this turned out not to be the case... Having made a few clips (and wrecked £16 worth of spring) I was still not getting anywhere, so investigated further.

As it turns out, it's actually the spring guide/piston that's the problem. The PDI spring guide is a 9mm to allow for their fatter high power springs. The Laylax piston appears to be designed for the standard spring guide and so is narrower inside near the piston head end. See dreadful picture for the idea...

post-37787-0-89285400-1359801347_thumb.gif

This means that it cannot ever get far back enough to engage the sear. A little browsing of Laylax's website shows that the only spring they make is a downgrade 80ms, so they must always use the standard guide width (even on their upgraded spring guide). This explains the lack of high powered springs - they'd need a different piston design for it to work. I suspect the VSR is wider so either size spring fits inside the same piston without modification on that.

The long and the short of this is that the laylax piston is never going to work with an upgraded spring/spring guide. Which does make me question it's value at all really, since if it only works on low powered setups, why would you ever buy it? The only way this will work is by using the PDI 90 degree piston end, which will be my next port of call. Then it's a matter of hoping that the power issue goes away...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PDI 90 degree end has now arrived and been installed. Bolt return (with an exception first time through) is now what I'd consider normal and returns forward smoothly. However power is still hovering around just under 400 so some serious investigation/work is required there. Not quite sure where I'm going to get another 100fps from without a bigger spring, but it needs to be done somehow, and I see everyone else saying they're at 500 with the same setup... puzzling.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one of those too. Not seeing much difference at present. Trades aren't as deep as the Marui original. If you use the PDI cylinder it means you don't have to do any filing of the support rings (since they're not present any more). The ring set is alleged to make the whole thing more solid, but tbh the original didn't move anyway, so...

In other news, a APS2 T96 150 spring fits and gives 150. Sear engagement isn't brilliant though and you end up with frequent double feeds. At the moment, I'd rather stick with the VSR...

• 2 months later...

Is there a huge difference between VC and HD pistons at 500fps? I bought Trasher L96 and noticed a high fps score difference 455fps minimal and 466fps highest. I think the piston sealment is *suitcasey*. I am curios that the HD Piston don`t have venting holes like the VSR type has. So I am asking how HD Piston for L96 actually work

• 3 weeks later...

For those who might be interested, Airsoft Pro are selling a number of components for the Marui L96. 

I just fitted the cylinder set (seen below) to an ACM clone, which was shooting about 350fps with 0.2g bbs out of the box, and is now shooting 460fps (M140 spring) pretty consistently.

I don't know how it matches up to PDI, Laylax etc. stuff, but for around £50, it seems like an affordable alternative (especially for those of us who are not so au fait with the dark arts of tinkering with expensive sniper parts).

AirsoftPro-AWS-complete-cylinders-set-de

Link: http://airsoftpro.cz/eshop/index.php?cPath=93_233

Archived