Marui L96

scar527

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys!

Also, some external mods I was experimenting with last night:

maruiandstarl96.jpg

Looks like there is very little modification to be done in order to fit the STAR/ARES "front halves" to the Marui chassis. Fixing the folding stock will be a bit more work, but it looks doable.

Now I just need someone to make a fluted barrel with the correct flash hider and job's a good un!

Well good news is the STAR folding stock is pretty much done now. Just need to fill some gaps for cosmetic reasons and drill and tap to the little nub that locks the stock in the folded position can be attached, but other than that, it's done. Everything lines up perfectly with the TM rifle now, with no wobble or anything :)

Pics on request. I have the internals out now to install the upgrades, and here's where I've hit a snag;

Using a Laylax cylinder, spring guide and Zero-trigger with piston, the piston won't engage the trigger sear.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

I used a Laylax 150 spring for the VSR. I quickly found out this was waaayy too long (I thought I had read it would fit, but I guess I was wrong...) so I cut it down a bit. Piston still won't engage.

Any ideas for a solution?

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that a PDI spring guide might have to be cut down. Maybe Laylax made the same mistake?

I'll try that tomorrow, unless anyone else has any bright ideas.

If not, I'll just head over to tntsnipershop and order the MMC upgrade kit to see which parts will be compatible with the Laylax stuff I've already got. Looks like their Pro Trigger and the Laylax Zero Trigger engages the piston in the same manner, so I remain optimistic on compatability there.

Still, I'd prefer to save the ~$200 and get it working with the parts I've got.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so I've got it working pretty well now, but there's still room for improvement.

Apart from the ARES AW338 stock mod, it's got a laylax inner barrel, PDI barrel spacers, MMC barrel cap, firefly hard hopup rubber and a firefly soft* AEG nub.

I also tried the MMC trigger group, but it made the bolt real slow and had problems engaging the MMC piston.

Went back to using the Laylax Zero trigger, which actually works rather well with the MMC piston.

Spring and spring guide are also from the same MMC set, and the rifle now clocks in at ~510 with .2g KSC and 427 with Madbull .36

According to my chrono, that's an increase of 0.6 Joule with the heavier BB's.

My friend and I will get some .4's and test it with those too.

It still has some fliers. Actually it has quite a lot of fliers. I think one of the reasons for this is the soft firefly nub, which was something I had in my parts box. A hard nub is on the way.

I've not experienced any BB's jamming in the chamber or on their way to it in the feed ramp, but on several occasions the entire bolt jammed to the rear. Like, really jammed. This had to be solved by pulling the trigger to shoot the entire bolt back into battery. It gradually worked itself better, but it's still something I want to look into.

Disregarding the fliers, it had a decent grouping at 35m. Not really spectacular or anything; as I said, there's room for improvement.

We did some long-ish range shooting with it too, but this was mostly to check its hopup and BB trajectory. As this is a gun we intend to shoot our buddies with anyway, we deemed it safe to use each other for targets; at 82m (laser measured), I landed half the shots on my friends upper back. Interestingly, while the fliers were still misses, they didn't veer off as dramatically as we'd feared after shooting cardboard at 35m.

I'll be climbing a mountain this weekend so I can't attend, but my friend and co-owner of the rifle is taking it to a game on Sunday together with another member of our team. I'll post the results here as soon as I get them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hey guys,

been around airsoft for a while, but took quite some time off. I have always wanted to get a SR (sniper rifle); and was normally set on a VSR, however ive never been a fan of the stock; and more of a l96 stock fan (CSS and BF2 player in me). So having said that, and looking through here and other areas; how wold you say the AWS compares to the vsr series. Now id probably upgrade the whole thing right away, to have it perform at its peaks.

My question is, how are the upgrade parts (laylax and pdi), as from reading several pages back, in seemd like the PDI trigger wasnt great from what Thrasher said, and was curious if they have fixed the issues with them (if anyone has gotten one lately); as id probably go the PDI route (here or vsr; except vsr would be bore-up).

So yeah, hope some people could shed some extra light on the subject. Now im not a great tech, as my friend works on my AEG, but this seems a bit "easier" to upgrade, so could prob learn w/ him (as good to have a 2nd person to help me if needed).

This is what i was gana do:

PDI Bolt Action Sniper "SPR" 250% Spring

PDI 140 L96 AWS Spring

PDI L96 AWS Light Outer Barrel

PDI L96 AWS 6.01 500mm Tight Bore Barrel

PDI L96 AWS Palsonite Cylinder Set VC

Laylax L96 AWS Precision Cheek Pad

PDI L96 AWS V-Trigger w/Piston End

PDI G-SPEC Barrel Spacer for VSR-10

Hope everyone had a good new years

hey guys,

been around airsoft for a while, but took quite some time off. I have always wanted to get a SR (sniper rifle); and was normally set on a VSR, however ive never been a fan of the stock; and more of a l96 stock fan (CSS and BF2 player in me). So having said that, and looking through here and other areas; how wold you say the AWS compares to the vsr series. Now id probably upgrade the whole thing right away, to have it perform at its peaks.

My question is, how are the upgrade parts (laylax and pdi), as from reading several pages back, in seemd like the PDI trigger wasnt great from what Thrasher said, and was curious if they have fixed the issues with them (if anyone has gotten one lately); as id probably go the PDI route (here or vsr; except vsr would be bore-up).

So yeah, hope some people could shed some extra light on the subject. Now im not a great tech, as my friend works on my AEG, but this seems a bit "easier" to upgrade, so could prob learn w/ him (as good to have a 2nd person to help me if needed).

This is what i was gana do:

PDI Bolt Action Sniper "SPR" 250% Spring

PDI 140 L96 AWS Spring

PDI L96 AWS Light Outer Barrel

PDI L96 AWS 6.01 500mm Tight Bore Barrel

PDI L96 AWS Palsonite Cylinder Set VC

Laylax L96 AWS Precision Cheek Pad

PDI L96 AWS V-Trigger w/Piston End

PDI G-SPEC Barrel Spacer for VSR-10

Hope everyone had a good new years

hi wazzy1013.

if you dont mind, here what I've done to my AWS

- PDI L96 Spring 140 (my site's max fps was 450 for sniper rifle, and 380 for AEG)

- PDI Palsonite HD Set +VC Piston (switch the piston ocassionally, but right now im using the VC)

- PDI Thrust Ring (add tension for a lil bit more fps)

- PDI 90 degree piston end (yes, they're selling it separately from the v-trig right now)

- Laylax L96 Zero Trigger. (not using the piston comes with,btw)

the reason I choose z-trig instead of the v-trig was because of the design flaws v-trig has, I think everybody knew it already, and yes, the laylax z-trig can catch the PDI 90deg piston end beautifuly, no problem what so ever, been using this setup for 13 month, weekly milsim.

right now Im planning to get KM or Firefly hop-up rubber, as the TM one starting to wear a bit.

and a PDI 6.01 500mm TBB, the reason I change the inner barrel last, is just to work the marui's to its peak, and i think 2 year is enough.

hope this helps.

and sorry for the english might a bit rusty, as this wasn't my native language, cheers :)

hi wazzy1013.

if you dont mind, here what I've done to my AWS

- PDI L96 Spring 140 (my site's max fps was 450 for sniper rifle, and 380 for AEG)

- PDI Palsonite HD Set +VC Piston (switch the piston ocassionally, but right now im using the VC)

- PDI Thrust Ring (add tension for a lil bit more fps)

- PDI 90 degree piston end (yes, they're selling it separately from the v-trig right now)

- Laylax L96 Zero Trigger. (not using the piston comes with,btw)

the reason I choose z-trig instead of the v-trig was because of the design flaws v-trig has, I think everybody knew it already, and yes, the laylax z-trig can catch the PDI 90deg piston end beautifuly, no problem what so ever, been using this setup for 13 month, weekly milsim.

right now Im planning to get KM or Firefly hop-up rubber, as the TM one starting to wear a bit.

and a PDI 6.01 500mm TBB, the reason I change the inner barrel last, is just to work the marui's to its peak, and i think 2 year is enough.

hope this helps.

and sorry for the english might a bit rusty, as this wasn't my native language, cheers :)

hey, thanks for the info (your english made perfect sense). In hearing that i may go the same trigger/piston setup as you did then. Do you know if the SPR 250% spring i listed will fit in the AWS, as my site here allows for 550 fps w/ .25 with 100ft minimum engagement?

Also, whats range/accuracy are you getting with your setup? ; as id like to think or be able to rech out b/t 260-300ft

hey, thanks for the info (your english made perfect sense). In hearing that i may go the same trigger/piston setup as you did then. Do you know if the SPR 250% spring i listed will fit in the AWS, as my site here allows for 550 fps w/ .25 with 100ft minimum engagement?

Also, whats range/accuracy are you getting with your setup? ; as id like to think or be able to rech out b/t 260-300ft

thanks wazzy1013, nice to hear that. :rolleyes:

as for the SPR250%, I'm sure it'll fit, very tight fit.

because, I also had the SPR300%, tried it once, and take me 20minutes just to close the cylinder with that spring :lol:

but can't get a chance to test with it as i dont have any heavier bbs back then.

here is the comparison

14012012293.jpg

upper:it was the original marui cylinder, i don't even bother to open it :lol:

middle: PDI L96 140

bottom: PDI SPR300%

as you can see, SPR300% is very thick(or bold ?), and about 1.4inch longer than the original spring

while the PDI L94 140 is about 2inch longer, you can imagine how hard to get it in :wacko:

im sure the SPR250% isn't like pain in the a$$ to get it in, but still hard.

and the reason I'm using the PDI thrust ring, is as 'roller' for the spring, both in the spring guide and piston, like the ball-bearing spacer on the Laylax piston guide. it help much when cycle the cylinder back. ah, one more thing, dont get me wrong, but I'm sure you'll want to take out the small o-ring on the PDI piston (the one that -clap- with the cylinder head).

for range/accuracy with my current setup (with marui innerbarrel and madbull 0.36), i can get an A4 size grouping at 120ft. while i mostly got engaged about ~150ft (torso grouping). the effective range, i can say, about ~180ft. (field test)

can't get a larger place to test with more distance. my site is just too 'small' for us, sniper rifle user :(

• 6 months later...

Howdy, just picked up a TM L96 as my first entry into the world of sniping. I also picked up a PDI 130% spring and was told in the store I should be able to just drop it in.

Just had a skim through the thread - am I right in thinking I need to add...lots to the gun before it'll work properly with the uprated spring? Be gentle as bolties are a totally new thing to me (used to rebuilding my AEGs though, although I guess that won't help)

I would also like to know this too. The L96 has long been on my want list, and the TM model is what I truly want. I personally am not worried too much about cost, considering PDI has already made many parts for it - I just want to know once tuned and upgraded, will it truly shoot like a laser or not.

• 5 months later...

Time to blow the cobwebs off this thread a little.

So I *might* be picking one of these up (because who doesn't need 3 sniper rifles?), and I'm looking into suppressors for them. Firstly, does the GSPEC suppressor fit into the existing thread? It looks similar, but confirmation either way would be useful. Secondly, anyone have any recommendations for any that will look right? I've had a browse through WGC, but it looks to be largely 40mm 5.56 style ones on there. Most of the images I've seen of L96's have fairly fat looking ones on there. I've had a look through the sniper pictures thread, but not much luck.

I was thinking (at some point in the future, when I have the funds spare) of doing something similar to that on PDI's site - short barrel + suppressor. http://www.x-fire.org/tm_l96/tapered_barrel_fl/short/e.l96tapered_sh.jpg

Also hoping to get 500fps out of it with the PDI 140, we shall see if that's possible. Different builds with that suggest somewhere between 450-500.

Regarding your fps-question:

My l96 has got a pdi140, a pdi 6.01 tbb and shrinking hose around the cylinder head to get better seal from "nozzle" to hop-up. With hop-up set to 0.40-BBs it shoots between 522 and 525 with 0.20-BBs, so getting out 500fps shouldn't be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

is it the same as the m14??

The magazine's dimensions are similar to an M14's except they are shorter by half roughly.  You'll need 7.62mm mag pouches but fill them out with an inch and a half of foam at the bottom to make extracting mags easier.  As for the feeding mechanism, no they are completely different to M14 mags.

Also, I've found that filling the mags with a full load of ammo warps the pellets.  I've become used to only loading half the capacity as a precaution. (Also it's advisable to only cock the rifle and load a pellet with the barrel aimed at the floor, this prevents misfeeds in the loading chute).

I just want to know once tuned and upgraded, will it truly shoot like a laser or not.

Definitely.

I use Guarder tan .4's.  Combining them and the standard TM hopunit gives amazing accuracy, and I've found the precision/shot consistency to be just as good. It's been roughly 2 months since I've skirmished mine, mainly down to the cold weather, but when I took my local site's sniper capability test, the accuracy at 60m/196ft was 85% with moderate side wind in an open field.  I'd say my firing technique along with incorrect compensation for wind were the reasons for the slightly lower than desired accuracy percentage.

One word of warning though; make sure to use a light application of superglue on ALL the screws used in the main body of the rifle (the furniture screws aren't an issue) as I've found the majority to wiggle loose after just one game if not secured properly.

Firstly, does the GSPEC suppressor fit into the existing thread

I believe so yes, as the 14mm- silencer adapter I have fitted is for either GSPEC or L96 use.  As an indicator, here's a 200mmx40mm silencer fitted:

l96sil_zps7cfd3ff7.jpg

Phubar - I may have misunderstood your reply.

My question is does the existing suppressor that comes with the gspec fit? I know you can get silencer adapters to fit the L96, but this is more if it'll go straight on without that. Sort of looks like it should. However, this may be a question I'll be able to answer myself shortly... (Clicking "Order Now" whilst looking through your fingers doesn't cost anything, right?)

Phubar - I may have misunderstood your reply.

My question is does the existing suppressor that comes with the gspec fit? I know you can get silencer adapters to fit the L96, but this is more if it'll go straight on without that. Sort of looks like it should. However, this may be a question I'll be able to answer myself shortly... (Clicking "Order Now" whilst looking through your fingers doesn't cost anything, right?)

Not a penny. :D

And yes, you have misunderstood.  The adapter I use on my L96 was given a description by King Arms stating can fit a VSR GSPEC barrel as well, therefore by King Arms' statement their fitments are the same and a GSPEC silencer should fit the L96 without modification.  (Check the description: http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/king-arms-vsr10-gspec-sil-adapter-14)

So...

bought rifle and extra parts and am having a hard time getting things working. I hadn't realised how easy the VSR was to work with until now...

I've fitted the PDI HD cylinder set, and an upgraded 2nd sear on the trigger box. When tested with the original TM cylinder set this works fine.

When using the PDI cylinder set, the sear engagement isn't correct. The bolt will travel all the way to the rear and then lock in place. However you can't return the bolt forward and the trigger moves but doesn't release anything. It is holding everything in place though, so it's not just a complete sear failure. It's almost as if you need to pull it back just a little more, if that makes sense.

The only way to then get the bolt forward is pull it back to take tension off and then use the small silver pin to directly manipulate the 2nd sear.

My only thoughts on this are that either the spring is too big somehow, or the shape of the piston rear is wrong. It's a PDI 140 spring in a PDI setup so you'd think that'd work and I know a lot of you are running it too. The rear of the piston is a considerably different shape to the Marui original - can't tell if it's meant to be 45 or 90 degrees or somewhere in between. I did try an extremely cut down PS96 spring and had the same results with that, which is making me lean towards the piston.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for that, although it's for a VSR. Mine seems to be somewhere between the two, but closer to the 90 degree than anything else. Hrmm. There just doesn't seem to be enough contact area on it for a 45 degree sear. Certainly the top two of that picture looks more like the stock piston.

post-37787-0-25732000-1359576027_thumb.jpg Apologies for rubbish camera pic.

I bit the bullet and ordered a zero trigger, so I guess we'll find out pretty quickly... I didn't need to eat this month anyway.

Just tried a 130 spring. Bolt return is extremely stiff, but possible and then fires okay. Logically, this can only mean that the piston end is ok, and it's the tension of the 140 making things not return. I know bad bolt return is a common complaint on upgraded VSR's without zero triggers, but I've not previously encountered it being so stiff as to render it impossible. There again, they have bigger cylinders, etc so perhaps this only becomes apparent above UK limits with a VSR.

Will have to see about reassembling it all with the 130 at the weekend and seeing what it chronos at, but I suspect 90 degree trigger will be the ultimate solution.

Archived