First impressions of the G&G GR16 plastica.

Hi guys,

Well there doesn't seem to be too much information about the plastica range on these forums so i thought i would give my first impressions/mini review in the hope that it may help someone decide between these and a clone. This is my first review attempt so be nice! I purchased the gun from Airsoft world for £159 (first time i have ordered from them), bought saturday and arrived Tuesday morning so no problems at all and i would buy from them again.

Intro

Basically the plastica range is a cheaper version of the G&G proline. It is my belief that they use the same internals, however the plasticas do not come stock with a tightbore barrel. Somewhat obviously G&G have cut the price of these replicas by using a moulded plastic for construction instead of metal. However dont let this put you off too much. Yes it makes the gun noticeably lighter than a metal replica, however i was hard pushed to tell that it was not infact metal that i was looking at.

Externals

My version is the R4 which is an m4 with, a RAS system at the front (constructed of magnesium i believe) and an m16 stock. The quality is easily seen and puts most clones to shame. The mouldings are beautifully done and in this sense it is very marui-esque (not a word!) in appearance. Everything is solid which gives a real feeling of robustness despite the plastic body. The sites are metal and are the standard m4/m16 type, these sit on the standard 20mm rail (no carry handle with this model). One major annoyance was the fit of the supplied mag. It is (and there is no other way to say this) completely awful. The wobble actually made me laugh it was so bad. However ultimately this was nothing that some (actually alot) of black electrical tape couldnt solve. The mag now is as snug as a bug when placed into the magwell. Overall the externals are very good for the price, the special forces trades certainly add to the appearance of the gun and presents a nice change from some clones where you merely get a blank reciever.

Internals

Havent opened her up yet but from what i have read they are very similiar to the internals in the proline series. The hop-up is plastic, however it performs brilliantly as you will see in the performance section.

Firing Impressions

All i can say is wow, the performance out the box is phonomenal for the price. The mag feeds fine (even before the wobble is fixed). Performance is the main area where you can really tell the difference between a quality gun and a chinese clone. The trigger response on an 8.4v battery is beautifully crisp and the gearbox sounds beautifully shimmed (you know what i mean, you can just tell by how smoothly it cycles). I had ordered a 9.6v large type but it hasnt arrived yet which is why i resorted to the 8.4v battery. Eitherway the ROF on the 8.4v battery is awesome, certainly a bit faster than a stock marui on an 8.4v. I honestly can't wait to shoot it with the 9.6v battery because it will be a hose. Some people claim 19-20 rps on a 9.6v. Velocity is on par with my upgraded marui 552 which shoots around 340fps (0.2g bb's) , range is just slightly less at about 180 feet (marui has a tightbore barrel and can reach out over 200 feet). Accuracy is very good for a stock gun, certainly as good if not better than my 552 was stock. The hop up is very effective although the wheel is quite stiff, on full hop it can make the BB rise vertically. Overall a great performer out of the box and without a doubt shoots better than any stock ACM gun.

Conclusion

I am very happy with my G&G plastica, i honestly wasn't expecting it to be so good. I know we airsofters are obsessed with metal bodies, but if your looking at buying a clone m4 metal body or not, you would be smart to highly consider this gun. The externals are very nice, yes they are plastic but many would argue that good quality plastic is superior to the potmetal that comes out of china. I think the best way to sum it up is that it feels like a quality item all the way from box presentation to performance. As you can probably tell i really am impressed. If people would like pictures tell me and i iwll try and put some uo. Any questions feel free to post and ask.

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Anyone know where I can find pics of the internals of this gun?

Cool reivew., :)

I use these gearboxes for my project guns, their 8mm shells with solid metal bushings as standard. shimming us usually pretty good and the gears are solid (first gen had a weakpoint on the spur gear). The pistons are decent and motors are fast, usually 16-20rps on 9.6 battery's. heres a pic of the inside of one of my early project builds.,

2935906772_fd005ff8c1_o.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/Eirsoft

The barrels are a little on the cheap side, very light weight but they perform quite well.