Tokyo Marui L96 AWS

Tokyo Marui L96 AWS

Bolt Action Air Rifle

The L96 was first revealed at the Shizuoka Hobby Show in May earlier this year. An initial release date was set for the end of July, but as we have come to expect from our friends at Tokyo Marui, the L96 was delayed. The L96 finally hit the stores on August 26th, and having ordered one in June, I picked it up from Echigoya (Japan) right after work. Worth the wait? Let's find out.

Packaging

I can't say that Tokyo Marui ranks up there with Apple in it's package design. The box seems a bit busy with text on both sides of the box and an image of the rifle in the middle. I prefer some of Marui's more simple packaging, like the M14 with the simple black box.

1.jpg

Inside the box we get exactly what we have come to expect...Bilingual Manual, usage guide, targets, and a feedback postcard. Like the SOPMOD M4, the L96 is held in the box by a velcro tie in the middle, which holds it nice and secure. I am not sure when this was first introduced, but it is a nice feature, although I ripped mine out of my SOPMOD case because I forgot it was there.

2.jpg

There is also a magazine, a cardboard name plate and a box with 3 allen wrenches and about 50 BBs. Finally we have the barrel plug, cleaning tool, and the bipod post, which is attached to the L96 when it arrives. A very clean presentation all in all.

3.jpg

The Rifle

Lifting the L96 out of the box, I was immediately struck by it's weight. I felt that there was much more weight to it than the VSR-10. The weight adds a sense of solidness that I never felt with the VSR-10 series, and is a welcome improvement.

The body is plastic, and there are some obvious seems and join lines on the bottom of the frame. I was a bit disappointed to find a discoloured join location on the bottom of the gun, as I have always found that Marui does a great job putting their weapons together...this just seemed like an obvious eyesore.

4.jpg

Metal parts seem to include trigger assembly, rails, bolt, safety, sling attachments, barrel, bipod attachment and release switch, and the dummy bolt release. I haven't opened it up yet, so not sure what kind of metal I will find on the inside.

Markings

- 99 AW 5103 on the right at the front of the scope rail.

5.jpg

- WARNING Refer to Instruction Manual AW5103 on the left in the middle of the rail

6.jpg

- Made in Japan, Tokyo Marui Co, LTD behind the dummy release

7.jpg

Stock

The stock is two-way adjustable. There are 3 rubber pads that extend the stock, and these can be removed to create a length that best suits your frame. The cheek rest can also be elevated if needed. All these adjustments are made with the allen wrenches provided.

8.jpg

9.jpg

The Bolt and Safety

Moving down the body we come to the bolt and safety on the right, obviously just above the trigger. The safety is a latch the flips forward to allow the bolt to be cocked and the gun fired. When the latch is flipped back towards the shooter the bolt can't be pulled back.

The bolt itself is very solid, with a large metal ball on the end of the lever. I am betting this will be replaced with aftermarket parts fairly soon, as it is a bit too big in my opinion. I also find that the bolt isn't as smooth as the VSR-10. There seems to be a point about two-thirds of the way through it's upward swing where it catches and needs a bit more effort to swing it up the rest of the way. The actual cocking of the bolt is smooth, and has a nice, crisp travel. The return is also nice and smooth.

10.jpg

Magazine

Underneath the bolt is the magazine. This is being touted as a big selling point for this weapon as it replicates the real L96. Until now L96 weapons have had to move the magazine forward to allow for hop interaction, but the Marui is using a new feeding mechanism to allow for the correct location.

11.jpg

The magazine itself loads from the side and holds 40 rounds. When the bolt is pulled back there is a lever that pulls one BB at a time from the magazine and top loads it into the barrel and hop assembly. All 40 rounds are used, and there are no dropped BBs when removing the magazine.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Hop Up

The hop up itself is extremely easy to access, perhaps the easiest of Marui's products. A big dial sits on the bottom of the riffle just in from of the magazine well. It is easy to tweak, even while in a shooting position, so you can make changes on the fly, even mid-game, without having to take your finger of the trigger.

15.jpg

Bipod

Continuing up the right side, the front of the weapon is large and boxy, providing room for your hand if you need it. There are a couple allen screws here holding it together, but they are countersunk like the rest of them around the body. We also find the bipod pole release here, as well as sling attachments.

16.jpg

17.jpg

With a Bipod attached it makes the rifle even heavier, but pulls some of the weight from the back end and seems to distribute the weight better. I did find that pointing my bipod forwards made the riffle a bit too front heavy, so I would suggest it be tucked under the rifle. Unfortunately the Marui bipod I bought with it doesn't seem to have enough clearance to tuck backwards.

18.jpg

Miscellaneous

The tip of the barrel is threaded to accept a VSR-10 G Spec Tracer Adapter for adding suppressors or a tracer unit.

19.jpg

Finally, the gun is disassembled via 3 screws. 2 of them are obvious, but the 3rd one is hidden underneath the trigger assembly, and is accessible via the grip.

20.jpg

Impressions

I owned a VSR-10 Pro for a few months and sold it after I questioned the value of a sniper rifle in Japan, where the .98 Joule limit makes a sniper rifle obsolete and without real benefit. I missed it as soon as I sold it, especially when a couple guys showed up with sniper rifles at the next game. I wanted my VSR-10 back, but decided to wait for the L96.

The rifle fits well and I like the weight. It seems to nestle into my shoulder nicely, and the sizing is just right for me at 6' 2".

The grip is comfortable and easy to hold, but I found that my thumb rubbed a bit and I could see this causing blisters if the user didn't wear gloves. With the bipod and scope attached the riffle comes in at nearly 5kg!

Shooting

I haven't had a chance to do much shooting, so I will save this for part 2. I will mention that the first 10 shots came in at about 93 meters/second. I had one shot as high as 94.3 and one as low as 89.5 (all with the hop turned off). I will be taking this out over the weekend and will give more details on how it fires, grouping, etc.

I will hold off on a 'score' until I have put more rounds through it.

Until part 2...

21.jpg

Bloody awesome - the review, the gun and TM for that matter.

I hope that they see fit to introduce a range of spares for this. Undoubtedly there shall be a weak link in there somewhere - there always is (M500 action bars, M3/SPAS tri-cylinder, VSR trigger and piston sears, SD foregrip pins, MP5 navy selector group the list could go on and on)

You're forgetting that this is made for the japanese market, which has a strict 0.98J power limit.

Marui PROBABLY know what they're doing releasing something that fires at legal velocities in the country it's intended to be sold in.

Bloody awesome - the review, the gun and TM for that matter.

I hope that they see fit to introduce a range of spares for this. Undoubtedly there shall be a weak link in there somewhere - there always is (M500 action bars, M3/SPAS tri-cylinder, VSR trigger and piston sears, SD foregrip pins, MP5 navy selector group the list could go on and on)

Thanks Kenworth, it's my first review, so I appreciate the positive feedback.

I may have discovered the weak link already :(

I took it to the range today and was having two issues, one was the loading mechanism. I was getting way too many misfeeds, so I wonder if the new loading mechanism that TM introduced isn't going to back fire on them. The other was the hop. I was all over the place, and even with the hop almost fully on I was having trouble getting a round consistently 30 meters without dropping. I am going to contact Marui Monday to see what their thoughts are and see what they think.

Will keep updating my review to reflect developments.

Still really like the look and feel, just need to fine tune the details.

A few questions for you if you please :)

Price. (japan price)

Is it compatible with VSR parts, spesifically trigger unit, hop and bolt.

I'd also love to see an accuracy test when you get round to it :)

You can get it for just over 20,000 yen at a store called Frontier here in Japan.

I am not sure about VSR compatibility yet. It is only 3 days on market, so there hasn't been many stores opening them up yet.

I will get back to people about upgrades as I will be putting in a different barrel as soon as i find out what will go in.

Will get an accuracy test online as soon as i deal with some issues (see reply to post above yours).

Interesting so far.

90m per second though?

Going to need a lot of upgrades to get that able to shoot heavy weight BB's at any decent range. Which after all is what a sniper is going to want.

Yah, that is part of the discussion I have had with people here in Japan about the purpose of a sniper rifle when the legal limit for an airsoft rifle is 99 meters / second. As this is made for the Japanese market and I tested with a 94 m/s max, even a 10% increase would make this gun illegal here. The only real purpose for having a sniper rifle is for looks, feel, or fun.

For US, or other countries, where the fps limits are much higher, it will definitely take some upgrading.

Do you have any pictures of it with the bolt back? :D

Will get one for you tomorrow and post it with some others.

Thanks Kenworth, it's my first review, so I appreciate the positive feedback.

I may have discovered the weak link already :(

I took it to the range today and was having two issues, one was the loading mechanism. I was getting way too many misfeeds, so I wonder if the new loading mechanism that TM introduced isn't going to back fire on them. The other was the hop. I was all over the place, and even with the hop almost fully on I was having trouble getting a round consistently 30 meters without dropping. I am going to contact Marui Monday to see what their thoughts are and see what they think.

Will keep updating my review to reflect developments.

Still really like the look and feel, just need to fine tune the details.

That doesn't sound very promising now does it. Especially the magazine feeding system, as it doesn't sound like something that we can sort out very easily.

Especially the magazine feeding system, as it doesn't sound like something that we can sort out very easily.

Could be something as simple as cycling the bolt properly or correct lubrication, though.

From the video in ^that^ link, it appears that you have to pull the bolt back all the way to cycle a bb. Maybe those misfeeds were caused by an incomplete bolt pull?

Idd, seems to be the problem, as pulling the bolt back apparently loads the bb (using that new mag system). Anyway, the loading should be done not at the same time, but a little before the piston sear catches the piston. May be hard, and i think Marui managed to do both at the same time, which can be a problem.

I think misfeeds are more likely to occur whilst pushing the bolt forward.

If you watch the end of the video, the BB actually has to roll through a 'chamber', being pushed by that magazine follower thing, quite a considerable distance.

Cheap, or badly deformed BB's are going to cause problems there, depending on how tight the tolerances are.

Ben.

The misfeeds were in fact happening during the return of the bolt.

Interestingly, a BB somehow got through the chamber and was bouncing around inside the front end.

The hop is still giving me issues so i am returning it to the shop for a check up tomorrow. I am not ready to open it completely up yet :)

Thanks for the video and inside images.

Will continue to bring updates.