First & only, Drakelow Tunnels Open Day

Having known of the location and former use of these tunnels, just outside kidderminster i have always dreamed of getting an airsoft game here. In short for those of you that have not heard of drakelow shadow factory no 9, this facility was a former world war 2 underground aero engine factory. Conceived after the heavy bombing raids on coventry and the midlands where the rover group, who were producing many components vital to the war effort were being severly disrupted, the air ministry decided to move production to more secure facilitys underground. Drakelow was one of several underground sites that produced aero components. The site was built from about 1942 onwards and covers about 250.000 sqaure feet. After the war, aero engine production seized and the war office used it for storage. Then in the 1960s the site was given a new lease of life when the goverment decided to form RGHQs, in the event of a nuclear strile on the country destroying central goverment in the major cities. RGHQ were to be autonmous centers of command and control that would operate independantly if nessercerry with all their own provisions for command, control, communication and emergency response. The site was again upgraded in the mid 1980s and became RGHQ 9. This has been procured by the first and only guys and added to their ever growing list of impressive sites. I played the opening game held their on the 30th aug 09 and have to say i was not dissapointed. On arrivall along drakelow lane the site is well sign posted and easy to find. Although if it were not for the big banners and signs, you may drive past without even realising what was there. Apparently many locals had no idea what was on their doorstep until the security blackout on the site was lifted in the early 90s, as the cold war had ended and the site was decomissioned and sold to a private buyer.

You turn and drive down a track to where the f&o guys were signing players in and then proceed to carpark on the surface opposite one of the entrances. the site has about 8 entrances, although only one was in use. There are also hopefully plans ahead to include the use of the woodland and cave system above ground, which is lots of sandstone rock houses. This is if things can natrually pass health and safety and would be very cool. Once we unloaded the car we headed down to the tunnels and the safe zone. Passing airsoft skirmish who were on site selling shiny toys. although vans were ferrying some players down the tunnel to the safe zone, we elected to walk down, just to get a feel for the enviroment, tune in to the surroundings, sights and smells and darkness. You certainly need a nice powerfull tac light here. We took a few pics on the way down and proceeded to the safe zone, which was in the former RGHQ canteen and was well equipped with chairs and tables. The original kitchen appliances were all in amazingly good condition. The room soon rapidly began to fill with players arriving and kitting up. The game kicked off with a good briefing beforehand on the rules and what you could and could not do. The area of play was mainly restricted to the main access tunnel and the area of the RGHQ, this was sensible due to a H&S nature, and was more than enough for the 90 odd players i beleive were present. F&O have stated that they eventually plan to gradually open more and more of the site as time goes on, but it will be a slow process as it will require a hell of a lot of work to do. Some parts of the site are in amazingly good condition, where as others look like they are a demolition site. Natrually all thje dangerous areas had been taped off. Thunderflashes up to a MK5 are fine but anything bigger tends to make bits of the ceiling come away and the blast of just a MK5 is enough, beleive me. Blank firing grenades are not permitted unless you have a small calibre adaptor, for something like a rimfire cartridge. Full auto fire is allowed, but in confined spaces, you need to exercise common sense. No blind firing is permitted natrually. As mentioned parts of the tunnels and rooms are pitch black, so much so i went into one and honoustly my tac light could not pick out the end. The first game was a quick warm up to familirise everybody with the area and orientate themselves, i dont really have much of a clear recollection from here on, as the action was fast, furious and intense, so i became totally immersed. The corridors soon began to fill with smoke and the atmosphere was just about as intense as can get. The game was a short one and we soon moved onto the next and before i knew it it was dinner time. Lunch was included in the fee and consisted of a hotdog roll, a bag of crisps, a cookie or doughnut and a can of pop. F&O provide one of the best lunches i have ever had on an airsoft site and i think more site operators could learn from this. One of the few downsides was that there were no working toilets, this is being rectified and wasnt a prob for the guys, as we could just nip outside. But for the girls who were there this was a bit more tricky. Medic rules were adhered to well and the marshaling was to a high standard. All the players seemed to have the right attitude and their were no incidents of cheating, or bad tempers. All in all the players that day were a credit to airsoft. I had a thouroghly enjoyable day and certainly one of the best and most uniuqe CQB enviroments

there is. I have played a few and this is certainly up there with UCAP, the rock, and the mall for sheer brilliance and atmosphere. For those that are thinking of playing here or reading this review, i say try it. If you like CQB, oyu will love this place. I just cant wait for the next game.