Since the release of the SOE Micro Rig, and the general acceptence among both airsofter and real steel shooters that less is more, we've been seeing more and more interest in the chest rig area when it comes to gear. While I am not able to go shooting my favorate AR when I can ( I gotta surfice for Ruger .22L ...or a M14 from time to time), in which the gear that some of us use was ment for, I feel that airsoft useage is about the best we can expect and is enough to genorate a respectable idea about how the gear will work out in the field, airsoft or otherwise.

A recent urge to get back into the chest rig area of gear started when the SOE Micro rig came out, and though I enough interest in creating a small rig for when I play airsoft either at galt or Ord, money, timing and popularity was against me. For when I decided to make the investment of a micro rig, AEX was completely out. Yes, there was the pre-sown rigs in CB and in multiglam. However I wanted the MOLLE version, just so that I could replace pouches to make it a completely custom rig for me to work from. Out of luck? Not really.

A quick trip down to LC Police gear in San Jose turned up my backup plan, which is the 5.11 Chest rig. Off the bat I know this turned some of you hardcore gearwhores just because of 5.11's designs and such. However, for 30 bucks, its not a bad way to go. Toss in a extra 15 bucks for a small, 6 x 6 med pouch by the same maker, I had a Micro rig ready to go. Though it was in black for both pouches, it was nothing that a can of krylon wasn't able to fix.

First impressions:

The rig itself is a two peice set, with the straps being able to be removed easily with slip-clips, and stowed within the small pouch on the inside of the first peice. The rig itself is roughtly the size of a 8.5x11 peice of paper, held landscape on the chest, with 6 rows of standard webbing. The base for it however is a heavy duty nylon mesh, making it lightweight and breathable. When fully loaded, the platform seems very stable with little move, and the rig has little to none overall movement once you have everything strapped down and set to what you want. Though, I must admit that he straps are of the same material and roughtly the same type of straps found on the 5.11 thigh rig, which for me had some issues remaining still and secure on my leg. I'll find out more on how well it stays still and tommorrow at fort ord. So expect pictures.

Current Setup:

5.11 6x6 Med pouch - which will hold my wallet, smokes, and such when I'm out. Inside of the pouch is the same mesh that makes up the chest rig, with two zippers on either side for storage.

Condor Double AK Pouch - Modded by removing the small divider within the pouch, to make it easiler to insert and remove 3 PMAGs (per pouch) from it

--Worn on top of--

Xtreme Armour carrier (concealed armour, same as a police officers) with Pointblank soft plates (expired 1988) and my Toy Soldier SAPI plates.

Picts:

Myself -

DSC_0109.jpg

Front Closed -

DSC_0167.jpg

Front Open -

DSC_0171.jpg

Rear -

DSC_0173.jpg

The gear Setup -

DSC_0174.jpg

• 2 weeks later...