KING ARMS TROY MRF

I wanted a gun to replicate my real steel NOVESKE N4 light Recce so This was a no brainer for $329 on Ehobbyasia.com.

IMG_2447Large.jpg

King Arms is pretty underated in my opinion.

The Bodies of their guns are strong and functional. Their gearboxes are solid, and their hop up/barrel is awesome.

Anyways onto the review.

Theyt pack their guns similar to STAR. If you could get your hands on a hard case you could pop in this packing and be good to go.

IMG_2441Large.jpg

here it is opened...

IMG_2442Large.jpg

King Arms does a great job of sending you a complete package, not just a base gun.

IMG_2444Large.jpg

You can see here the VLTOR Stock + QD sling swivel

KFH Flashhider

Tangodown Vert grip

Troy folding battle sights

2x Troy Rail covers

300rnd hi-cap mag

The battle sights are meticulously replicated in function AND form!

IMG_2557Large.jpg

VLTOR stock which can house a cranestock battery that was specifically designed for this gun. I opted for a buffer tube lipo.

IMG_2558Large.jpg

IMG_2559Large.jpg

Functional bolt catch and paddle release. A regular feature on KA guns.

IMG_2556Large.jpg

Externals are spot on.

There really isn't alot of explaining to do here, pix speak volumes already.

IMG_2445Large.jpg

IMG_2448Large.jpg

Internals

The gun takes down like any other metal bodied gun. Remove the two takedown pins and pull apart. The takedown pins do not pull out fully which is a cool feature.

IMG_2519Large.jpg

The hop up is a replica of the Prometheus NEO strike. I am very happy with the KA hop up, bucking, and barrel combo. It was an *albatross* kicker right out of the box.

IMG_2520Large.jpg

The Buffer tube is redesigned to be crane battery/buffer battery friendly.

All of teh wiring is Deans wet noodle silicone wire and the rear section is replaceable.

IMG_2521Large.jpg

The Motor is pretty high torque. Good trigger response and Decent ROF. The pinion is also quite robust.

IMG_2522Large.jpg

Quick shot of the internals. Pretty standard stuff. Notice the sector gear clip on the steel gearset.

IMG_2523Large.jpg

The spring guide left a bit to be desired. It broke while opening the gearbox.

IMG_2524Large.jpg

Piston and head are good to go along with the included 1joule spring.

IMG_2525Large.jpg

a cut out allows the spring some breathing room.

IMG_2527Large.jpg

O-ringed air nozzle is always a welcome feature

IMG_2528Large.jpg

7mm bearings. Not bad but I know king arms makes 8mm shells. I must have an older model.

IMG_2529Large.jpg

I just wouldn't be me if i didn't add a mosfet rewire right off the bat. The buffer tube design allowed for a crispy clean install.

IMG_0883Large.jpg

IMG_2530Large.jpg

Performance

This is the japan version. This gun is just a tad too hot for Japan at 335, but after a few uses it should settle down to a more Japan friendly 1joule.

IMG_2570Large.jpg

You can see here I used the slow shutter photography method to trace the path of several tracer bursts from the MRF. Very consistant with very little deviation from each other. Those trees are 120' awayfrom where the gun was fired.

IMG_2563Large.jpg

Pros

- Fit and finish rivals G&P in a big way

- welcome innovations like a bolt catch/battery solution etc etc

- competitive pricing

- quality gearbox components

- great hop up /barrel combo

- Japan frienly versions available

Cons

- spring guide sucks

- tappet and selector plates worry me

- don't have actual permission to replicate TROY products( I am TROY fanboy so this doesn't sit right with me, The sights and rail are very realistically replicated. There is so many copyright violations here its not even funny)

Conclusion

The Airsoft world doesn't really need another player in the AR field, but I think that King Arms deserves a very worthy mention here. They make solid stuff at a very reasonable price.

IMG_2599DesktopResolution.jpg

IMG_2600DesktopResolution.jpg

Good review.

I've A KA Troy myself and was wondering what Pmag you used in the pics and if it fits OK.

They are STAR green label pmags. The fit fine. but the bbs sometimes get jammed up in the magazine tubes. I haven't tried lubing or strecthing the mag springs yet.

I was considering bying one but used to ICS i get a bit suspicious on "custom " batteries can you tell me what kind of battery does fir in crane?

Thanks

It is a 8.4v or 9.6v crane stock battery but made with 2/3A cells.

I am using Hot Power 7.4v 1600 mah 15C lipo sticks, They are terrible. Go for the crane battery.

golgo: if your star pmags are anything like mine were they need a little love to feed perfectly. What I did was used a round file and took a TINY amount of material off of the front of the bb catch on each magazine. They stick just a little too far out for use with the KA hop up feed tube and dont get pressed far enough back for bbs to get by smoothly. I did this to all 10 of my magazines as well as a squirt of silicone down the tube and they now all feed flawlessly.