Standard v Midcap v Hicap

Warpix

What capacity magazine do you prefer?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Standard, Midcap, or Hicap?

• Standard
    • Midcap
    • Hicap

The poll/topic is pretty self explanatory, but explain why you have chosen what you have. Multiple may be chosen, but please just choose the types of magazines that you prefer to use.

Standard- I'm actually thinking of switching over to these for my AEGs if they prove that they feed better than midcaps, but running a bunch of standard cap mags may get annoying with a G36 considering how thick they are. As for my AGM M4 GBB, I have no choice but to run standard magazines through that, but I have come to really love how I don't have any feeding problems with it and that I know that every shot cycled through properly.

Midcap- I'm currently loaded out with 6 midcap G36 mags, They have served me well, but as I have stated before, I'm thinking of switching to standard cap. I do carry around a STANAG speed loader that carries 470 rounds so I have something to reload with in my spawn.

Hicap- I used to run three of these when I started out and now I'm not so keen on them. The ones I had seemed a bit temperamental and I just hate how some people just tend to spray an spray with these. I remember sitting in my spawn once when a guy claimed to have gotten a hit by emptying an entire hicap AK74 mag and if I can remember right, those hold about 300 rounds. And something kind of bothers me about being able to carry about a thousand rounds in two magazines.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it really depends on what rifle i'm going to use, but i generally prefer "standard" magazines (68bb's or somwhere around that).

Why? It's more realistic, but without having the 30'bb realcap wich is redicilous in my opinion, that's a bit over the top for me.

game style is different here so the use of hi-caps isnt really that bad. i only run them on open game days when i know cheating WILL be rampant. other than that i have a bunch of mids and a few standards for my M4s.

also you forgot drum :P;)

At the moment i use high caps, i don't spray and prey so to speak lol, 3-4 round bursts is all i do, fast reloads between games and have to carry much less gear into games.

I have a box of mids for m4's but the problem i have is most of the time i struggle to get them all reloaded before the next game is on, i love them when i can get them working, they feed bad in my ICS and for some odd reason lower the fps alot,also they almost don't feed at all in my jg m733 :( .

They are KA mids and i hear good and bad about them, but i don't want to fork out 20+ quid for top quality ones :angry: .

To sum it up for me....

High caps.... less to carry into a game, easyer to reload, rattle so sneaking is a bit harder.

Mids.... No winding, more realistic, bit awkward to load, mine feed like garbage.

Hey Warpix, dont feel so bad! Im about to start running lowcaps for my G36. I just order 11 mags to go with the two I already have! I currently use midcaps in all my guns but am starting to get into lowcaps, just because reloading is fun, and a vest full of mags looking real purdee

All depends on how you want to play.

I like having lots of ammo to hand, but not having them rattle.

I wear a real AK chest rig, which has 4 double ak pouches, and I carry one in the gun at the start.

8+1 = about 900 ish rounds.

More than enough for a game, and usually more than enough for a full days gaming. Squeezing it a bit for cqb though.

I do tend to preach midcaps, but only to mates.

I think it helps make you a better player, and enjoy it more. Ofcourse everyone is out for something different. Each to their own :)

just because reloading is fun, and a vest full of mags looking real purdee

Just carry more midcaps! :P

Depending what rig I am running, I sometimes carry 16 midcaps, often with a Hi-cap stuffed full so it doesn't rattle as a last resort. I don't like running out of ammo in a day. :D

Methinks thou dost need to practice trigger control. Haha just kidding. But dang! I hear about people carrying 2-3 thousands rounds in several high caps into a game, and using it all! I cannot comprehend how to use that much ammo. These arent support gunners either. I played several hours on one midcap. Thou to be fair, I did have my Mk23 that day, so I wasn't too inclined to use my rifle very often...

I bought a box of 8 standard cap mags for my m4 and I have never looked back. I hate hi-caps, they rattle and I cannot see why someone would need to carry thousands of BBs into a game (unless they are a support gunner, but tha's a different story :P). I carry 6 of my mags in my chest rig and one in my gun totalling about 460 - 480 BBs in a game which is far more than enough as I only usually use a few of them per game (3 - 4 usually, but sometimes 2 - 3).

For 24h games I keep an m4 mag shaped speed loader in my sleeping bag so that if I run low on ammo, I can almost fill up all of my mags again (which would total just under 1000 BBs overall if I then emptied all 7 again) and 1000 BBs for 24h is plenty for me.

In the end, I think it's just down to personal preference, but I have been hit too many times by the guy with the AK47 hicap emptying all 600 BBs into my position with me firing about 70 at him xD

also, I like midcaps too, but I prefer the slightly higher realism of a standard cap compared to a midcap. my main reason at first for switching from hicaps at first was the rattle (I HATE RATTLE :P)

Realcaps are appealing to me too, but I think with the inaccuracy of the BBs compared to the real m4, 30 BBs is just too low :(

Methinks thou dost need to practice trigger control. Haha just kidding. But dang! I hear about people carrying 2-3 thousands rounds in several high caps into a game, and using it all! I cannot comprehend how to use that much ammo. These arent support gunners either. I played several hours on one midcap. Thou to be fair, I did have my Mk23 that day, so I wasn't too inclined to use my rifle very often...

Haha, I don't think I emptied all my mags at the Ground Zero weekender. Saying that though, some open days I have burned through them all and had to refill and burned through all them aswell. I think I need a support weapon. :)

as i expected the results are rather at odds with what i see on the field. in my experiance 80-90% of players use hi-caps, this poll does not seem to reflect that.

personally i have been using tm standards and midcaps since about 2002, i dislike both winding and rattling equally, also i dislike paying for lots of ammo sprayed about

But it seems to be the trend.

Can anyone tell me if standard mags feed better than midcaps? I have this problem on the field when the light is shining just right, I occasionally can't track where my BBs went off to. I'm going to unload a mag into some cardboard in the back yard to make sure that my mags are feeding right, but I'm still unsure if they are.

As for real caps, don't you get a little jipped? I mean, you still need a couple BBs to get one into the chamber, right? I know with my G36 if I unload a mag and take it out a few BBs will drop due to the distance from where the mag starts to feed and the actual chamber.

Seraphim! Good to hear another G36 user saying that, but 13 mags? You got a STANAG magwell converter on your G36? because I know that a G36 mag is about the same thickness of two STANAG mags, so I can't imagine how you would carry 13 onto a field... unless you use the mag locks on the G36 mags to stack 13 mags together... entertaining thought, but I'm afraid that some one may have tried this.

And yes, I didn't include box/drum mags, but for a reason! Well, mainly that I don't see too many out on the field that aren't attached to an LMG of some sort, and then the answer to what type of mag they'll be using is pretty obvious. I also made the poll in the thoughts of what I would consider "normal" magazines, well, that being airsoft mags designed after real steel 30 round mags, or similar capacity real steel mags.

I didn't include lo cap/real cap because I thought that people would just associate those with standard. I felt that it would've been somewhat unnecessary to include them.

I use a mix of Lo, Mid, and High, depending on the situation...

- Running into a heavily fortified position from open ground : Hicap

- Defending from ground level with little cover / Attacking from cover : Midcap

- Defending from a raised level, patrol and scouting tasks : Locap

- Ambushed? Whatever comes to hand first...

All of this is in my preferred method of mag seperation, as I've been known to carry nearly 20mags at once...

3x midcaps in dropleg

9x locaps in left mag pouches on webbing

5x highcaps in right mag pouches on webbing

Speedloader on left inside pocket on webbing

Spare ammo on right inside pocket on webbing

Any spare mags go with the ammo on the inside right.

At this point I'd like to point out that the MP5 Star locaps are a bit....guff. I've had one wheree the spring cover popped off when reloading, so the spring won't go back in, and at least two that don't feed properly.

I'd like to say I only use midcaps but until funds permit I am still using the original hicaps that I have had for four years.

Buying magazines seems to go out the windows when I see a new peice of kit or something else for my guns...

Really ought to just buy a pack of ten lowcaps or something...

I only ever use single shot these days anyway and only reload my hicaps when they decide to unwind spilling bbs everywhere!

I like Standards and Midcaps. Standards more so, but for the scale of the games I attend, midcaps make more sense. All the games I play in do not allow hicaps. I think I have only three hicaps in my collection and that was only because they came with guns.

l509sm.jpg

I only like real caps when everyone else is using them too ... otherwise I find it kinda sucks.

Archived