Total Practical Loadout

RC-1138

Alright I'm taking a step back from my norm and instead of building a new loadout (last one was my GRAW2 impression that ran over $5000.00 :blink: ) and go for total practicality. I'm thinking what works and only what's needed for tactical competance; no over the top stuff for pure looks or really consideration. I need some help on some odds and ends though. So far the loadout, top to bottom is:

Blackhawk Contractor Cap, Olive Drab with US Flag

ESS Goggles/(field rules dependent)ESS ICE shooter's glasses

Eagle Industries CIRAS, Land Medium OD (Pouches all OD)

-2x M4 Double Mag Pouches (8 mags mags plus on in the gun)

-MCAP

-Grenade Pouch (for BB bottles/smoke grenades depending on the field)

-Medic Pouch (medical odd's and ends + IV)

-GP Pouch

-MBTIR Pouch Cobra radio w/ Cavalry Bowemans Headset

-Monkey Mini Patch Panel on rear shoulder

-Blackhawk SERPA CQC Holster (M9) on STRIKE panel mounted on the rear access flap on the CIRAS, inverted for quick draw (total practicality right ;) )

(No pistol mag pouches because the time needed to reload a pistol mag, if that's what I've fallen on, is too much anyway)

Blackhawk Desert Ops boots

Blackhawk SOLAG Kevlars

US Army Issue ACU Belt

That's all I got so far, and I'm stuck on a few things.

1. Boot socks? I have a few 5.11 and blackhawk ones and will alternate between them but anyone use another brand that's good?

2. I hate thigh rigs, hence the reverse mount for the SERPA but I do want to mount my USP somewhere as well, and the only holster I've liked so far for it (it's the full sized .45 version) is a GCODE which I've had for a few years, I have the IWB attachment and the belt attachment but both don't work well during airsoft/wearing a plate carrier so anyone have any clever ideas for mounting this one too? My only one so far was a shoulder rig but I'm not sure if there's one big enough to hold the full size/will fit over a CIRAS

3. First layer and second layer, I have no idea what I want to do (including pattern) I'm definitely taking a break from ACU for a long time but other than that I have no idea. So far I'm thinking woodland bottom with either a 5.11 top or something of the like but anyone, (keeping in mind I play NY for the most part, FL on occasion) have any suggestions? Pretty much the only three things I wont consider are ACU's, MARPAT's, and MULTICAM as full uniforms. Maybe for the pants but I'd rather stay away from a "uniform" and go for what works best.

4. Backpack? I run a 5.11 24 RUSH right now and I like it alot but it is in black and probably not a good idea for a loadout based on practicality. I've had bad experiances with Eagles/Blackhawks 3 day assault packs so not them but any other light, good for airsoft sized packs? Needs at the least to take a standard bladder, 2 MRE's, 10,000 BB's plus loaders, 1 can of green gas, and I would *like* it to hold a shotgun, short barrel/no stock length (haven't picked that yet but their generally around the same size)

5. Sling mounting? I've had my Eagle Three point swift for years but I'm open to suggestion on any other types. I'm hearing good things from one points and even the CIRAS specific loop ones so any accounts of those would be good to hear.

6. Even though this is potentially weapon specific, a sighting system of sorts is something I need. I usually use a pair of digital binoculars but I've seen a few helmet/hat mounted scopes that look interesting, or if anyone has good ideas on weapon mounted? I've been looking at the 4x ACOG's on Ebaybanned but I'm not sure I want/need a whole weapon sight for what's really just forward rece

7. Flashlight? I like my surefire but its old as hell and I need a new one. What's good out there that's hand held (I dont like weapon's mounted)

8. Dump pouch. I need one desperately but as I said, I hate thigh rigs and things that end up catching under your body. What's worked for you out there?

Really the main thing I'm interested in getting a good feel for is the uniform and anything I haven't thought of for mounting on the CIRAS. Open fire all...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been thinking in a completely practical loadout for a while and, for my style of play, my choice would be an eagle universal chest rig carrying 4 or 5 mags (secondary mag source), A radio pouch on one side, a small gp pouch on the other. Duty belt with holster (not a dropleg one), 3 fast mags (which would be my primary reloading source), a small dump pouch and a double pistol mag pouch. I'd just carry a camelbak for hydration and my clothing would be according the day conditions. Simple and no bs...

1. Boot Sock, i love the Smart Wool Extra Heavy Cushion socks, $20 a pair but so worth it, never had foot issues since

2.Just get a nylon molle holster like the TT or HSGI

5. Get the CIRAS specific one,

7. Get a new LED bulb for your surefire

8. Put the mags back in their pouches

1. I got some generic wool blend ones from the BX. Probably one of the best purchases I've ever made. Wool is the best for boots, no matter the season.

3. Anything green would work in the NE, unless your specific area is different. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of MC in fall.

5. VCAS, best sling I ever bought. Available in many colors and styles.

6. Go for a flip-to-side 3x or 4x magnifier. That way you can have a reddot for the upclose work that airsoft tends to involve, yet magnification for spotting.

7. Buy a new Surefire? Or try the Insight Inforce. I really like it.

8. I use a TAD gear RRDP1. I really like how light-weight, durable, and compact it is.

Best thing I can tell you is try out new gear. If you don't like it, 99% chance someone else will buy it from you.

1. Boot Sock, i love the Smart Wool Extra Heavy Cushion socks, $20 a pair but so worth it, never had foot issues since

2.Just get a nylon molle holster like the TT or HSGI

5. Get the CIRAS specific one,

7. Get a new LED bulb for your surefire

8. Put the mags back in their pouches

Which level LED bulb wont bust me on batteries every other match and isn't so penetrating that the whole field sees me from it?

And I need a new solution to that (mag dump) I've been airsofting for years and been in the Army for 1 1/2 and leme tell ya that just isn't a good way to go around things, totally diverts your attention and all.

1. I got some generic wool blend ones from the BX. Probably one of the best purchases I've ever made. Wool is the best for boots, no matter the season.

3. Anything green would work in the NE, unless your specific area is different. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of MC in fall.

5. VCAS, best sling I ever bought. Available in many colors and styles.

6. Go for a flip-to-side 3x or 4x magnifier. That way you can have a reddot for the upclose work that airsoft tends to involve, yet magnification for spotting.

7. Buy a new Surefire? Or try the Insight Inforce. I really like it.

8. I use a TAD gear RRDP1. I really like how light-weight, durable, and compact it is.

Best thing I can tell you is try out new gear. If you don't like it, 99% chance someone else will buy it from you.

Linky to the TAD? And I'm trying to avoid buying MC for as long as I can/until the Army decides what camo is gona replace ACU in 2011. I'm guessing I'll get another set of Woodland TRU's and work from them. I like the idea for the flip-to-side, it'll work well on my 416's oversized RAS lol

That's probably as unpractical as airsoft get, you know?

If you want PRACTICAL, you have to rethink what you need.

Do you need TWO handguns on you?

Hell, do you even need one!?

This is airsoft - what do you really, really need?

You need a rifle, mags, water, possibly comms, and a snack.

What Raven posted is a fine example of a light kit.

I suggest getting a chestrig with magazines on front, comms to your left, snacks and food and whatnot in a GeneralPurposePouch to your right.

Riggersbelt with a dumper in it, camelbak with water.

Boots, uniform and such of choice.

That's a practical kit for ya.

Well for one I do use my pistol fairly often and have for the last few years I've been playing, especially since my primary rates at 385 and most fields I play at have a min shooting distance for it, so I fall back on my KWA's for close range stuff. And I actually like the quick switch, it's fun to do ;) and I've used every form of load carrying, from my issue LBE back in basic training, LBV's later on, MOLLE gear for years, and chest rigs and I like the CIRAS the best.

I've been thinking in a completely practical loadout for a while and, for my style of play, my choice would be an eagle universal chest rig carrying 4 or 5 mags (secondary mag source), A radio pouch on one side, a small gp pouch on the other. Duty belt with holster (not a dropleg one), 3 fast mags (which would be my primary reloading source), a small dump pouch and a double pistol mag pouch. I'd just carry a camelbak for hydration and my clothing would be according the day conditions. Simple and no bs...

To be honest, I've run a similar setup, and while it works pretty well, there are a few problems.

Hydration is the most glaring- you'll have to run two sets of straps, or integrate the two. OR, you could just keep a Nalgene bottle in a proper pouch.

The other is getting too heavy a belt (Mainly because the Eagle UTV has so little utility space (plus a I had a 6004 with 1911 in it)). A belt pad and suspenders help this.

My iteration would be a SOE MRC chest rig. It carries 8 magazines, has H-harness straps (comfier), and larger spaces on the sides for utility/hydration items. This is nice, because you can keep your first line very light, just a belt and dumper. Head wear would be the classic ESS Profiles over a baseball cap. Maybe some cheap gloves like Mechanix or flight gloves too. When it's hot, you could just wear BDU/ACU/whatever pants and a t-shirt. When it's cold, you could wear BDU/ACU/whatever pants with underarmor stocking type things under them, underarmor shirt, long sleeve shirt, and SPEAR fleece; also, you could wear those extremely thin UA gloves underneath your normal gloves.

When I view most practical loadout possible, overloaded CIRAS is not the first thing that pops to mind. ;)

Each to their own I guess.

/Edit: I've been thinking about a very practical kit. MOLLE belt, pouches, suspenders and camelbak.

Total airsoft practicality?

Goes like this

Woodland gun:

TM AK47 with one highcap.

CQB gun:

TM M3 super 90 (fullstock short barrel) with 5-10 shells in a stock saddle.

TM P226 or KSC glock in a polymer holster(any kind but it must be polymer) with a spare magazine in a polymer mag pouch.

Kit(universal)

Full face mask.

Good sturdy boots.

Speedloader (large 5.56 style one in a magpouch)

bottle(s) or bag(s) of BBs in a utility pouch.

Water in a utility pouch or a bottle pouch.

Fits easly on a belt rig. Molle belt rig 4 or 5 loops tall and 6-10 loops wide

Simple, cheap, light and totally practical.

One thing that strikes me is there is a hell of a lot of kit there for a practical loadout.

Backpack? I run a 5.11 24 RUSH right now and I like it alot but it is in black and probably not a good idea for a loadout based on practicality. I've had bad experiances with Eagles/Blackhawks 3 day assault packs so not them but any other light, good for airsoft sized packs? Needs at the least to take a standard bladder, 2 MRE's, 10,000 BB's plus loaders, 1 can of green gas, and I would *like* it to hold a shotgun, short barrel/no stock length (haven't picked that yet but their generally around the same size)

Bladder, yes

2 MREs, Unless its an all day milsim day then do you really need them? If not then it's not really practical to carry them.

10,000 bbs, That's over 3 bottles and 2kg in weight. Do you ever use that much ammo in one day? If not then it's not practical to carry that much ammo is it?

Can of gas, Yup practical to carry that.

Shotgun, You have a primary and pistol why carry a shotgun as well?

1. A good pair of hiking socks does me fine and doesnt cost much.

2. A second pistol isnt sticking to the practical nature of the loadout but have you thought about using a high mounted safariland? Its not quite as intrusive as a thigh rig and should clear your CIRAS

3. For camo/clothing just wear whatever. BDU trousers and a tshirt/ jacket in a plain colour is a good none specific loadout combo.

4. For the backpack I pointed out above that you seem to be wanting to carry a hell of a lot of "useless" equipment in you're backpack. I use a MAP style pack and I've never found myself wanting more carrying space. You could probably fit most of the stuff you want to carry in one too.

5. I'd go with a single point as they're much more practical (IMO) than a three point.

6. Red dot and magnifier? It will give you the magnification you want and will be weapon mounted so you dont have to rummage around in pouches for it.

7. If you like your old surefire why not fix it up with a cree LED lamp?

8. I'd go with a traditional style belt mounted dump pouch. I've tried folding ones and solid pouches and the traditional ones have worked the best.

One thing I would really recommend adding to your kit list is some kind of 1st line duty belt. Even if it just holds a dump pouch, holster and spare pistol mags. If you have trouble getting spare mags from the belt with the CIRAS try mounting them sideways so you draw them to the front.

This is my basic kit and I've never found myself needing anything more on most game days

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/eva...ar/SDC10620.jpg

The only thing I'm changing is the chicom rig as I've round a molle one which I should be able to rig my pack to.

Practical doesn't mean cheap, simple or basic. Although a practical loadout might be all three. ;)

For general skirmishing I use:

A TT MAV with the hydro-harness which is ideal for most things. Mine has enough mag pouches to carry 8 low caps, a utility pouch, radio pouch and hydro carrier on the back. Then a MOLLE belt with pistol mags, dump pouch, another small utility pouch and a Safariland finishes it off.

Clothing is just some tough cargo trousers and a smock. In my case a TAD Battle Hoodie LT and cargo trousers to suit the weather (e.g. ripstop if it's warm). I usually wear a ballcap to keep the sun out of my eyes, shooting glasses and Alta kneepads.

A pair of boots with decent ankle support is an obvious must. I've got desert Pro-Boots for that.

My deference to looking cool over practicality is to wear body armour (PACA). All in it's pretty practical.

To me, this means practical for CQB:

IMG_2526Cropped.jpg

That without armor, and with 2 magazines per pouch is practical in the woods. I don't know how you can possibly be more comfortable in a rig that alone, with no pouches, weighs more then an entire chest rig setup (both unloaded). Not to mention, you're going to heat up more, which means you have to drink more water, which means you have to CARRY more water. Anyways, my kit in the picture is the result of about 2 years of trying to find out what I need, and no more.

Whatever camo smock comes to mind (FJ Splinter pattern, MC, Sinotarn, &c.), subdued t-shirt, CP Ranger Green trousers, Oakley boots, SmartWool socks, shemagh, ESS ICE 2.4 glasses, TT 2-pc. MARPAT MAV with two triple magazine shingles (loaded with mid-caps), CamelBak ThermoBak 3L, whatever gloves I feel like wearing (Sitka shooting gloves, OR Overlords, or Hatch flight gloves).

Ugly? Yes. Comfortable? Yes. It has everything I need and nothing I don't.

I just noticed this and, I can't think of anyone who would associate practical with carrying an IV.... :o

Well I have the CIRAS and I happen to like it. Been using them for years and I hate chest rigs, not enough real estate and not enough coverage (I might just play in a tshirt so I'd like my chest covered back and front).

With the amount of stuff you are carrying their are tons of chest rigs you could use to hold that stuff. And as others have pointed out. A heavy hot vest will increase your need for sustainment making you need more.

The 2 MREs also seems way over kill. The stuff has more then enough calories for at least 12 hours of airsoft and that is assuming you only eat that and nothing before and no small things like jerky in between. And since you only have a standard bladder I am assuming this isn't a super prolonged game thus, you should never need that kind of ammo and a MAP on the back of the CIRAS will hold plenty of extra bits.

That many guns is also pretty far from practical and will turn you into a tactical turtle.

To me, this means practical for CQB:

/img]

That without armor, and with 2 magazines per pouch is practical in the woods. I don't know how you can possibly be more comfortable in a rig that alone, with no pouches, weighs more then an entire chest rig setup (both unloaded). Not to mention, you're going to heat up more, which means you have to drink more water, which means you have to CARRY more water. Anyways, my kit in the picture is the result of about 2 years of trying to find out what I need, and no more.

Hey what rig is that? It looks great!

Archived