Tactical Footwear Picture Thread

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds just like something that happened to me and because of that I will never buy boots with size zippers again.   Just order some Magnum, it is my first dealing with the Magnum brand of footwear

What can I say? Pretty much everything they advertise it true. They're really light, and really comfortable. I managed to get them out on a 10 mile ruck march, in the rain and mud (obviously), and my

Merrel Moab Mid GTX XCR. Really quick to break in, light and supportive.

Belleview 390 DES boots, size 10.5 wide

Awesome boots. I know lots of people had problems with their issued Altama jungle boots during that night exercise that I just came back from after a fairly heavy rain, but no water got into my boots after stepping into puddles of mud and I had no blister or hotspots at all.

(You can also see my issued Altama black jungle boots in the corner for my BDUs, but I really hate them compared to these)

[img_]http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/958/bppts.jpg[/img]

Most people who bash altamas use this phrase "I just got this new pair of altamas, cost $$$ money, and i lost all the skin on the bottom of my foot"

You need to spend time to condition the leather, you need to drench them in hot water, wear them and stretch them by having your foot in them while wet around the house, or even use a water/rubbing alchohol mixture, then you need to let them dry, repeat that whole process a few times over a period of a few days then mink oil them to preserve the leather. They will be comfortable as all hell and after a few uses if they are taken care of they will become the most comfortable traditional boot you can buy.

Also they have a poly insert in the heel, you only have to step on the heel 1 time while putting them on and you have lost the game, you will then need a heat gun or hot water to get the heel insert back into shape.

And yes bellevilles are epic with the sneaker soles and they have an excellent heel cup.

Edited by Azulsky

Boots are something I can comment on with a lot of experience of brands.

-Oakleys were terrific for comfort terrible for staying together. Everyone I know who has had them and used them in the military have had them disintegrate in one way or another within 6-8 months.

-Belvilles are tough *albatross* boots. They are reasonably comfortable but I would replace the insoles in most of them. However any smart person should do that anyways.

-Bates are terrific in comfort not as good as Oakley but they fit the bill. However if your feet sweat to any degree these aren't the boots for you unless you use them in cold weather like I do.

-Magnums I am not sure where to start with these. I have a love hate relationship with them. There super light and for the most part breathable which is good in my case. However the shock absorption of them is garbage. If your a heavy walker like I am your feet will hate you. That said I wear my magnums every ruck sack march because I find them the most broken in. Sure my feet will hurt at the end but they will not be bleeding.

-Original Swats are the current boots I am trying and so far have served me well. They are a bit warmer then I would like but I haven't had many issues.

I have tried quite a few others on my search for the perfect boot but those are the ones that stood out in one way or another. Now when it comes to a recommendation for insoles I can highly recommend Super Feet insoles. I use the green ones and in my magnums have had a set in there for several years. The set is finally starting to show its age and will be replaced soon. I did see a new color the orange type for hiking and hope to try them. I will post pictures of some of my boots that I have here with me on base. The Oakleys are sitting in the Fredericton dump.

Just stumbled across this thread, maybe one of you guys can help me out?

I just received a pair of Wellco jungle boots and while they fit fine on the toe they are mega tight across the bridge of my foot.

I had a second hand pair years ago which were the same size but they fitted perfectly, I'm thinking now perhaps they were a wide fitting pair but I can't remember (these new ones are a regular)

Anyway, is this normal and will they stretch out width wise? I've tried heating the front with a hairdryer and then walking around until they boot cooled but it's made little or no difference so far.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Boots are something I can comment on with a lot of experience of brands.

-Oakleys were terrific for comfort terrible for staying together. Everyone I know who has had them and used them in the military have had them disintegrate in one way or another within 6-8 months.

-Belvilles are tough *albatross* boots. They are reasonably comfortable but I would replace the insoles in most of them. However any smart person should do that anyways.

-Bates are terrific in comfort not as good as Oakley but they fit the bill. However if your feet sweat to any degree these aren't the boots for you unless you use them in cold weather like I do.

-Magnums I am not sure where to start with these. I have a love hate relationship with them. There super light and for the most part breathable which is good in my case. However the shock absorption of them is garbage. If your a heavy walker like I am your feet will hate you. That said I wear my magnums every ruck sack march because I find them the most broken in. Sure my feet will hurt at the end but they will not be bleeding.

-Original Swats are the current boots I am trying and so far have served me well. They are a bit warmer then I would like but I haven't had many issues.

I have tried quite a few others on my search for the perfect boot but those are the ones that stood out in one way or another. Now when it comes to a recommendation for insoles I can highly recommend Super Feet insoles. I use the green ones and in my magnums have had a set in there for several years. The set is finally starting to show its age and will be replaced soon. I did see a new color the orange type for hiking and hope to try them. I will post pictures of some of my boots that I have here with me on base. The Oakleys are sitting in the Fredericton dump.

I'll agree on the recomendation to use super feet. I've used them in my last two heavy backpacking boots (La Sportivas, and Merrels are the current ones), and they have done wonders for comfort and support. Can't imagine using anything else at this point. The orange ones are great, they lack some of the cushioning of the other styles, but they are by far the best in terms of support if you plan to be walking far, or doing heavy/technical hiking.

Awesome the orange ones are on sale for 30 dollars at my local hiking store I shall pick some up to test out. The *suitcasey* thing is I wear them in 14g and its hard to find that size.

Just to further add to the size issue, all the advice I have had from my local EMS, has been that you want one size up for better actual fit with shoes. Now it may be different with different widths, but thats what I know.

Almost 100% sure you have a set of Gen 1 Oakley boots. I've been running a set of Gen 2 (military only, ID required to purchase) for close to six months and have beaten them really really hard and they are holding super strong. Hell, yesterday I slogged through over a foot of mud and grit, Lake Ontario water and sandy beach; plus actually having to assault over a lot of high walls and they were champs.

IMG_0399-1.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

Brand spanker Lowa patrols:

dsc00156g.jpg

They seem to be pretty well padded inside and all but bugger me if they aren't absolutely rock solid at the moment. I'm thinking possibly a seriously long, hot soaking is all that's going to soften these up in the slightest so I can actually start to break them in by doing any walking in them. I thought standard issue boots were tough when new...

Almost 100% sure you have a set of Gen 1 Oakley boots. I've been running a set of Gen 2 (military only, ID required to purchase) for close to six months and have beaten them really really hard and they are holding super strong. Hell, yesterday I slogged through over a foot of mud and grit, Lake Ontario water and sandy beach; plus actually having to assault over a lot of high walls and they were champs.

IMG_0399-1.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

I got mine in an oakley forces order. I received mine in September but due to school didn't have a chance to field them at work much until after Christmas when I started doing the army thing full time again. Mine look exactly like yours do and so did my roommates. We had the toe come unstitched in his as well as the sole separating from the boot and the eyelets at the top of the boot coming out. The leather is not strong at all and comparing it to any other boot I own it sliced and ripped very easy.

Its just like the oakley gloves there great for short term work but basically disintegrate while wearing them. That being said I still buy oakley gloves because there comfortable and when you get them on sale its not to bad.

I got a pair of Bates last year in october. The Bates - M-9 CTS 9 for £87

They arrived on the eve of a combat mission.. i was dredding the fact i would have blisters and sore feet by the end of it breaking them in.

Surprisingly they were the only thing that was comftable that weekend

Cant fault them, really comfy, 100% waterproof up to pretty high up on the boot. I got the pair with the side zip so easy on easy off.

They are sturdy but flexiable, little bit on the heavyside for my feminine legs but have helped build up the leg muscles :D

m9g.jpg

a nice looking boot as well

I have those also in side zip but in gortex. They are comfortable but very warm I found. I also think they look like moonboots. For actual military use the side zip is great when you get up in the middle of the night for sentry duty. No screwing around with your boot laces.

Keen VOYAGEUR MID's. Friggin love these shoes. Ran 'em in the Magpul course and they were just awesome.

Any specifics with those? (how do they run, whats the support like, break-in etc) I'm in the market for a light hiking boot, and I've loved the Keen sandals I've worn for the last two years.