Tactical Footwear Picture Thread

They run great, I wouldn't use them for long sprints like I would my Merrell Chameleons. If I had to compare 'em these would be like if you cross-bred a Chameleon with a Sawtooth and then made the build quality even better while dropping the price by half. But frankly they're great boots, hands down.

Support is great for being a mid-height boot, break in took about a week before they became comfortable enough for me to want to really use them out in the field (I ran these in the Magpul Carbine 1 class and they worked perfectly).

It also doesn't hurt that I can actually see Keen's office from where I work. I'm only 5 blocks from their office. And I popped in to thank 'em, great folks.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds just like something that happened to me and because of that I will never buy boots with size zippers again.   Just order some Magnum, it is my first dealing with the Magnum brand of footwear

What can I say? Pretty much everything they advertise it true. They're really light, and really comfortable. I managed to get them out on a 10 mile ruck march, in the rain and mud (obviously), and my

Merrel Moab Mid GTX XCR. Really quick to break in, light and supportive.

How are the Merrell Sawtooths?

I'm looking for a light boot with great support for being very flexible, and being able to hold on steep terrain. I would prefer a high ankle for support but, like I said, I want it to still be flexible.

Are the Sawtooths what I'm looking for or is there anything else?

Also, I don't want to spend much, naturally, but around 100 or less would be nice.

Thanks guys.

I think I'll find a store that carries a lot of Merrell and check some boots out.

I play in an area that is very steep in places, lots of lose dirt and rocks so I've used my trail running shoes a lot but I want ankle support since I have none. I think Hiking boots would be best for my situation as they are often designed for all that stuff.

Anyway, the Sawtooths look like they've got enough support but they look a lot heavier than the Chameleons and the Moab, but those look like they have little support. How are they all when it comes to heat? I don't want my feet getting all wet from my sweat...

Thanks.

I have tried out a couple of merrell boots, but I found them very stiff in the sole and the walls next to my heel. I ended up with the garmont pair I posted a couple of posts back. I would seriously reccomend testing them out instead :D

I also have a pair of Wellco Spartans, I do not reccomend them. Heavy, warm, stiff, bulky. :(

The Norwegian military issue boot that I have is probably the best "bang for buck" here in Norway, but they need ALOT of wearing in.

Alright, so after spending all afternoon just reading reviews and descriptions of some hiking boots, I've come down to two different Merrells: Moab and Chameleons, and one pair of Keens: Voyageur.

Moab: I read that the sole comes lose after a while, sometimes a very short period, sometimes after quite some time. They're comfortable and have good support. I like the fact that they offer good support and for what I've read, they are also reasonably flexible.

Chameleon: Light, durable, comfortable, offer good support for what they are. Well, because of the design it looks like the sole would not come apart from the shoe's body. They look pretty much perfect but I'm worried about the ankle support as there is little to none. I'm also worried about the sole design, I want good traction on dirt and rocks.

Voyageur: As Titliest summed it up, they seem great as well. They seem to offer about the same or a tad more ankle support than the Chameleons but they look more still in the sole, like the Moabs.

I want a flexible boot that will offer movement, though I'd really like reasonable ankle support to that as well. As of now, I'm leaning towards the Chameleons. I'm in a dry environment so I also want something breathable.

Sorry about all this!

And thanks anyway.

PA070118.jpg

Salomon Cosmic in Autobahn.

i got them to replace my aging Magnum classics and to supplement my Oakley SI's, as they arent exactly waterproof with the vent holes.

although i think ill stop using the Oakley's except for high summer and stick with these, they're obscenely nice.

I've got a pair of Timberland Urban Force boots on the way, dig that crazy coyote camo: urban_brown.jpg

I love the support, comfort, and grip of my Condor desert boots (Converse knockoffs) but I wanted something darker for Multicam and PMC style loadouts. I was about to get the higher Jungle version, but figured the mid-height would be more versatile for non-airsoft use.

• 3 weeks later...
si8.jpg

Quite simply, the best boots I have ever worn. The day after I got them, I went airsofting, no blisters... the day after that, I started walking 100 miles cross country with a 65lb pack. No blisters. Unbelievably comfortable, very sturdy indeed. They feel like they're hugging your foot. INCREDIBLE boots. The only thing about them is they tend to slip in wet wet mud.

Just received a pair of these myself and have to agree they are unbelieveably comfortable!

[quote name='REVOA4' date='Nov 1 2009, 12:57 PM' post='2210926'

I've got a pair of those, very comfortable, but I found a bet meh quality wise. Lasted I think a bit less than a year before developing a small hole on the top near the toes, and the rubber peeled back a bit on the tip of the other one. That being said, besides those problems they have lasted well, and continued to be generally nice comfortable shoes.

• 3 months later...

Never been one to spend a great deal on kit, but recently I've got the bug for it. I've been wearing me old 2nd hand desert magnums for about 3 years .There still actually ok ,bar the wear in the back of the heel rubbing .I just do em up well with a couple of socks on, and there fine. Anyhow I treated myself to a new pair of 9" swat waterproof boots. Only had them a couple of days ,but I've took em on a couple of good dog walks ,and seem to be doing well so far. I hope they do as well as my magnums :) .

DSC_2267.jpg

DSC_2268.jpg

Edited by heroshark

I came to a point where I didn't have a single pair of shoes without holes or tears in the sole, so I had to get myself a new pair.

Alfa Bever Pro, the current issue TMBN combat boot.

The exterior is completely leather, with a thick rubber sole that definitely looks like it can take a beating or a thousand, Gore-Tex lining, heavy duty metal hardware and well... Shoe laces!

It stands 10" from the ground and the fit feels great, but it still has room for an additional pair of wool socks for those extra cold days.

It appeared very rigid and sturdy at first glance, but the comfort and flexibility is better than that of your average commercial hiking boots, without sacrificing any support.

To sum it up: I'm very impressed with initial appearances, and I can't wait to start using them :)

P2205620.jpg

P2205622.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly that is the best pair of boots. When I was in Al Qa'im those boots were hotcakes. The more you wear them the better they get, it's like getting a recently divorced MILF. The more you beat it up, the sweater that bearded clam gets.

si8.jpg

Quite simply, the best boots I have ever worn. The day after I got them, I went airsofting, no blisters... the day after that, I started walking 100 miles cross country with a 65lb pack. No blisters. Unbelievably comfortable, very sturdy indeed. They feel like they're hugging your foot. INCREDIBLE boots. The only thing about them is they tend to slip in wet wet mud.

What boots are those?