Search you n00b!

R22Master

Just like to revive this topic a bit: if you tell a newbie or anyone to use the search button, be sure to also include at least one link that you get by doing the simple search (review R22's guideline on the first page of this thread), or point to a sticky thread somewhere.

I have been fairly lenient in enforcing this rule, but this will be watched more closely from now on, just thought to give everyone a headsup. If you flame someone, flame them constructively. :)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i only signed up today and i would strongly agree and even more so with the politeness because if i make a mistake on here i would much rather 1 of you tell me politely than start giving me abuse so on behalf of all the noobs thanks. and i also think it is best to be nice because we all shre the same hobbies after all thats why we are on her right.

cheers anth

I think that when a noobie asks a question that come up all the while then

he should be redirected by the older and wiser players with respect, people

ask questions to clear matters not to be insulted or made to look stupid

and getting on your high horse and putting them down doesnt do anything

for the sport. I used to do alot of fishing and many time a younger anglers

would aproach me and ask questions andI would give them the best advice,

then a couple of years later the same anglers, now more experienced, would

come to me to say hello and saying they still remembered the advice given to them

and that made me feel good. The morale of the story is never dis or knock

a newbey as one day they will remember who helped them and that we werent born

with airsoft knowledge.

Remember what you reap is what you sow.

Bloody hell I sound like a monk :D:D

• 2 months later...

IMO,

I think the fact of the matter is the more experienced members have an obligation to only make useful posts, irrespective of thier content.

If you think its a stupid question, dont answer it.

After all its the fact that people can come here for expert advice to sometimes very noobish questions that makes it different to all the other forums on the old interweb.

Its not a case of we were all new to airsoft once, simply good manners as, if someone asked you at a site you would not react in the same way, so why do it here.

I mean im not a noob, but just new to the forum and i have seen some very poor responses.

Bit of tolerance gentleman thats all it is.

• 2 months later...

From the noob perspective, I usually do a little research before I ask a question, but but spazing out on a noob for asking a redundant question is like telling a six year old to cook his own dinner and then punching him in the face when he doesnt know how.

Noobs make mistakes, leading them in the right direction is more effective than boosting your ego by TYPING ANGRY MESSAGES IN CAPS

• 7 months later...

I am fairly new here, but i know what people are talking about. There are questions that seem to be asked all the time. However, searching usually yields very bad results. Usually, many of the results don't have anything to do with what you search for. I think a lot of them do search, and just don't come up with good info.

• 3 months later...

I'm fairly new to this forum but have seen the same thing on coutless others, somebody new asks a question which has been asked many times before or that they could easily find the answer to themselves if they knew where to look and half the community instaltly flames them for it, so thought I'd just add my 2 cents.

I totally understand experienced member's frustration at answering the same questions again and again or just questions which have obvious answers to them and I totally agree that people should try thinking and researching before posting topics like 'what's teh best gun?', but IMO, if it frustrates you that much you should just ignore it and let somebody who has the patience to answer the question do so, if you've got the time to flame somebody for asking a daft question then you've got the time to just answer the question or at least point them in the right direction if it's something that's been covered before, flaming doesn't educate people, it just gets their backs up, sure it might make them stop posting questions that you dont want to see if they know all they're gonna get is rude responses, but it'll probably just make them leave the forum and then all that's achieved is that the community loses a member

I'm a noob myself, I do plenty of research on things (Arguably I spend way too much time researching airsoft kit :P ) but sometimes I just can't find what I'm looking for and the search feature on here doesn't always bring back relevant information for my query so since this community has such a lot of experienced members amounst it I figure asking a question here will probably get me an answer a heck of a lot quicker than spending hours on end trawling the whole internet for one simple bit of information. That and from my point of view, it is often a lot more helpful getting a direct answer to a question from somebody who knows what they're talking about than it is trying to pick out the relevant bits from pages of information.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, and I should add that I recently posted a question that probably seemed like a very obvious answer to a lot of people but I wanted some confirmation on and I got perfectly civil responses (thanks guys), so I'm certainly not trying to bite back at anybody, just adding my thoughts on the matter.

Over and out

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I think the issue may be that when you search, it sifts through every post looking for the key words.... If however you select "Search Titles Only" It will considerably aid your search :) - See the pic below for a reference :)

search.jpg

In all fairness, I think the search should be looked into, and if any minor change should be made, it should be that the above becomes the standard, and if you want to search entire posts, then that should be a selective choice :P

However, noobs and alike, will continue to ask such questions, because it is not clear (or they cant be bothered) to find the rules or what not :P

And at the end of the day, when these questions do arise. We as regular or new members alike, should help out as best we can, but also advise them to search in the future. Just doing the latter in an aggressive manner (because you are fed up) is not called for. Being aggressive and unhelpful does Not solve any problems.

As Kliskey stated above you should almost always select 'search titles only' when searching.

You will have much more chance finding what you need.

In regards to searching for 3 letter words make sure you add * after your search criterea and it will perform a wildcard search but it still isn't great and you will get some useless stuff in there.

If you just enter a 3 letter search without the * you wont get any results.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
personally i'd love to have a "how to run a sucessful search" thread, have it stickied, then flame the danged noob's with the link.

Im having issues with the search function. The way the search logic is set up i think needs looking at.Now this may not be an arnie thing, but more to do with the initial forum software.

Ive searched with success but most of the time I get nothing relevent

hear hear

The search function is not so simple. I am no noob but even i have difficulty with it.

Archived