Element COMTACC II replica NEW VERSION

I just got this Element COMTAC II headset in together with the Element U94 PTT today from Gunnerairsoft.

It's the new version of the Element COMTAC II which was reviewed here: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...howtopic=158231

The headset was purchased together with the PTT, as the new versions of headset/PTT don't work with the old versions of the headset or PTT.

comtacii2.jpg

After reading the stories about the first generation of COMTAC II's I was a bit wary of purchasing these second gen headsets. But I'm pleasantly surprised so far, as the headset is working nicely. Using it with a Kenwood TK3207, I can hear comms clearly from both speakers left and right and the amplification and high dB cutout function are working nicely as well.

Unfortunately I have not yet had the chance to test out the mic yet, as I didn't know the persons who were talking on the channel. :P

Using the buttons on the side, you are able to choose between 4 levels of amplification. The front button, on the left, is used to increase amplification while the right button decreases it. Holding them both for 2 seconds either turns them on or off.

comtacii4.jpg

Basic testing was done by clapping very loudly and the volume amplification cuts out at a certain dB level after which it gradually returns to its previous setting. I also tested it with loud music and it cuts out again at a high dB level and, as expected, the volume/amplification of the headset stays cut out when the music stays at the same loud volume.

The Element PTT is a big chunk of metal and plastic and is built like tank. It's definitely of a better quality than the COMTAC II replica. The back features a crocodile clip with grooved rubber padding and it can just fit into the PALS of your MOLLE platform. The lead to the radio plug is about 78cm long and is straight. I would have preferred a coiled lead.

u94ptt.jpg

The headset on the other hand feels fragile and I'm pretty sure it's not water proof or even water resistant, especially around the area where the vinyl pads attach to the earcups. It shouldn't be any problem if you're wearing it under a MICH 2000 though. I am scared that cables might get caught in something and that they'll get ripped out.

comtacii3.jpg

comtacii.jpg

I have a XL size head, 62cm circumference and I could just fit everything under my J-Tech MICH 2000. So for you regular sized guys, this should not be a problem. Even less if you're wearing an IBH, a 2001 or 2002. Next, I tried it with my PASGT, but there was no way I could fit my big noggin in there! :P

As pointed out in previous reviews, the spot where the boom mic wires exit is quite fragile as you can see on the picture below.

comtacii6.jpg

All in all, it looks like they have revised the electronics, but nothing else. Comms seem to be working, volume amplification and cutout seem to be working as well. The headset cost me 30 USD and the PTT 14 USD. Can't really fault them at that price. If it does break, it wouldn't be a big loss. But so far, I'm really liking it.

• 2 months later...

Here's an update. I bought another set of PMR radios just to test these replica Comtacs. Incoming signal is very good and can be heard in both speakers left and right. The microphone transmits very clearly and I had no problem hearing the audio on the other radio. The headset works perfectly as they should do. Definitely worth the money.

Thanks for that, definately made me buy one.

How long did yours take to get here? I guess you got it from EBairsoft?

They seem to be shockingly slow with orders at the moment, I ordered the Comtac II, Peltor PTT and an IR VIP strobe, which they decided to split as 2 packages, 1 with the Comtac, and the other with the PTT and Strobe. As of yet, I havn't heard anything from them, the tracking number they gave me for one package doesnt work, and they havn't even sent the damn Comtac.

Anyone else find them as useless as I've found? :(

I ordered mine yesterday... I ordered the Comtac I's though in a set with the funtional Toy Soldier/Workshop AN/PRC-148 Radio from Toysoldiers website! It was actually a pretty sweet deal! I got the last Europe Version (446 MHz) for 120$. The set includes the radio itself, flex-antenna w/ extention cable, H-250/U handset, Element Comtac I headset, U94 PTT and an antenna holder to put on your molle vest. Definitely worth the money especially if it comes with so much stuff and it was alot cheaper than buying everything seperately.

PLUS you have an awesome looking and fully functional comms setup ;)

http://www.toysoldier.com.hk/product_details.php?pid=120

Edited by Stormbreaker
Are there any other places selling this headset? And is there a way to tell the difference between the Gen 1 and 2 headsets?

Gunnerairsoft and RSOV have them.

The generationone headsets use a non-military type plug and include a PTT.

The newer, generation 2 headsets use a standard military plug from headset to PTT and you have to buy the headset and the PTT separately.

Also according to the review, the Generation 2 headsets work nicely.

-Luis

Cheers, Seems RSOV only has the PTT set ups and Gunner it out of stock!

EDIT: Would i be correct in thinking that this is the Gen2? PX Airsoft Comtac II

Wait ... Did they make a Gen3 or something? Because usually they should have brown earmuffs and black microphones on the earcups.

EDIT: nevermind, appearently they used the same product image from a non-element replica.

Edited by Stormbreaker
  • 3 weeks later...

Hm, I've been having some problems with my new Comtacs.

I bought 2x new version Comtacs gen2 with military plug and 2x Element Peltor PTT replica from EBB, for me nd my friend. We took the ICOM plug for oour Midland G7's.

Well the db cut works fine on both headsets, although its just too sensitive - whenever I start shooting from my hip it shuts down grr. Anyway, the real problem seems to be in comms not working.

1. First problem and by far the most weird, the ICOM pins i got on my/both Peltor PTTs hardly fit inside Midland G7, they seem kinda longer than standard ones and what is most suprising, I have to put the pins only halfway inside the G7 so that it can recognize the PTT/headset - get connection.

2. Nothing actually works, not the PTT button not the mic. My friend was talking on his G7 (without comtacs/ptt hooked on) and I had my Comtacs up and I could barely hear some voice/scratching in the speakers. When I was talking in the mic on comtac, of course, he couldnt here a thing, meaning my ptt or mic doesnt work.

Plus I have to mention, that sometimes my COmtacs just dont turn on, i have to go buy completely fresh batteries in order to turn it up, but if I then put the old batteries back in, it magically works.

I will try to find out more and fix this thing till it works properly, although I have no clue bout stuff like this. I have read that many people can use it fine, no probs at all, they even recomended it to me because of their prolonged good experience with it.

Anyway, its seems weird that both headsets/PTTs seem to be equaly disfunctional. Its good for the looks but what good use is it if you cant use any comms with your team on teh field, which is the most important thing. I am really really dissapointed, hope the Sordins work better once I get them:(

If anyone has same probs, please let me know

Edited by ninjaklan
  • 2 weeks later...

The ICOM plug should actually fit ... maybe try to cut some stuff off to make it fit? ;)

Oh and if you're using it with a G7 you have to modify the PTT-Unit, because ICOM uses a slightly different setting inside the PTT.

It's a little bit of solding work. I have guide how to modify it but it's in German.

http://www.bloodhound-recon.de/pages/howto...li-auf-alan.php

Maybe it helps if you put it through google translation or something.

Edited by Stormbreaker
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Gen2 Com Tac2 headset [military plag] and Peltor PTT from EBairsoft also. I'm using a Motorola Talkabout T5410 [single pin] PMR.

Ambient noise can he heard through the headset without problem but I can only hear very faint incoming signal and I cannot seem to transmit at all.

@ ninjaklan

Sadly,I too have similar problems .... If you have made progress please do post your findings.

Interesting [annoyingly] I too seem to have the same power up problem unless the batteries are fresh.

@stormbreaker .... Thanks for the link ...

EDIT: Just read http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...1&hl=COMTAC

I disconnected the J19 wire from the right side speaker and all is working for me now. So my radio is not powerful enough to drive both speakers!!

Hope this helps.

Edited by conger

Sorry for a late reply, completely forgot about this one. I recently received a Wouxun which uses a Kenwood plug so I also took a Element Kenwood plug Peltor PTT and also received the new ACM Sordins. So I tried all the different combinations, Sordins on ICOM(G7) and Kewnoow(Wouxun) and same with Comtacs....no luck. Thanks for that link conger, I'll give it to my friend over the border in Bleiburg (he has no problems with his Comtacs) so he can translate it. I will go to some local shop here specialized for commercial/amateur comms, I already talked with them on the phone and they said it shouldn't be a prob to fix it.

As soon as I get back or find out more, maybe possible solution I will post it here.

CHeers

I have my ComtactII's for quite a wihle now but i just cant get them to work. I tried them on my ICOM alan 456 (killed two PTTs in order to geht it to work) and on my Kenwood TK3201. The Mic is working but i can't hear anything. I tried Delta_Knight's J19 mod and removed the J19 wire completely. Still no sound. Maybe the headset is just dead/broken, but it still bugs me out to invest an other 50USD just to find out.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe the problem was with the plug, mine are working now. Only prblem with our headsets and PTTs was that we thought that EBB Icom plugs work with Midland G7 but they don't apparently. We swapped the ICOM plugs on our PTTs for ab it different ones that work on Midland G7 and everything is working fine now: 3x Comtacs mil-std plug, 1x Sordin, 3x Peltor PTT also new 3.5mm plug modded for Midland G7 and 1x Peltor PTT Kenwood plug also 3.5mm jack for Wouxun - everything workin superb now.