M60VN A&K is out...

Frontiers

Nope, all new China made, and it's supposed to be around $450 to $500 USD retail.

i remember reading its the Trigger Happy version even in US forums they say so, now what makes you think $500 USD gun would be a china made :D you name one gun that costs $500 that has been made in China...there ain't one

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Noooooo, It cant be canceled, I wil lcry if that happens :( Anyway has the M60 hit any known retailers yet?

there is a rumour here that it got into a containers going to EU and US before the lockdown so some big retailer might have it in next 2-3 weeks out, lets hope atleast that its true so we can enjoy it :)

Just saw this on this front page and the VN version is about $70 more at AEX over the MK43, I suppose that's because of the high metal content but still much more affordable than the TOP version :). $400 isn't too much for a support weapon who wants to be the first to write a review first? :P

its only more because its new and they think it'll draw more sales

Yes, I forgot that. Just like the mark-up of the WWII stuff AGM is releasing, but I expect the sales to preform well even with the economy in shambles. I also noticed there is "MADE IN CHINA" on this side of the gun ¬_¬, hopefully otherwise it will have correct trademarks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

11810052.jpg

As you can see in this image that my love of all things belt fed continues. As I also have several competing machine gun replicas a direct comparison is possible as well my hope is that this will make the review even more informative and comprehensive.. I will be initially comparing closely with the STAR/ARES M60E4/Mk43.

11810055.jpg

Purchasing/ and packaging

My A&K was purchased at Airsoft Atlanta for $395 on Thursday and shipped via UPS, It arrived today a few hours ago due to the weekend and the holiday. Packaging was excellent. One of my concerns with A&K is the resent raid by Chinese government official has shut manufacturing operations down, whether or not this is permanent or not only time will tell. In the mean time replacement parts for any A&K products has proven to be difficult. (I can not find a replacement upper stock pin for a M249) What this means to us and this review is if you want this replica don't wait, once they are gone, they are GONE! at least for the near future.

The replica arrives with a proper metal flash hider which is sadly painted orange and a improper M16 plastic flash hider which is glued on. To remove this one needs to back off a set screw and apply moderate twisting force onto the plastic flash hider, initially I thought it was threaded on to but it is a press fit. After it is removed you only have to clean the glue residue off with a wire brush and screw the metal one into place (it is left handed threads) In addition the replica is shipped with a pouch, powered box magazine and a user manual.

Physical impressions and Description

The A&K M60 replicates the first issued M60 machine gun, nicknamed the pig, it is a awful heavy hunk of fire power. So much so that the military considers the M60 a crew server weapon to help lug its weight around. The replica itself is massive compared to most airsoft replicas most players are familiar with even in comparison to the now common M249. What surprised me is the difference in weight between the STAR/ARES M60E4/MK43 (12.2 .lbs empty) and the A&K M60 (18.2 .lbs empty) Understand that the M60E4/Mk43 is a improved lightened, easier to handle M60 machine gun so it makes sense that the full size one would be awkward and heavier, I just did not expect it to be nearly twice as heavy! If you are a small person, this is NOT the replica for you.

I knew from a excellent review of the A&K M60E4/mk43 done by Hillslam that the A&K M60 replicas where body chassis is in two major sub assemblies that bolted together into the middle. I had serious concerns about this as it has been proven to be problematic in other replicas. Mine is no different, the screw in my replica are mechanically tight but the forward portion of the operative charging handle has a wobble not unlike that of the infamous barrel wobble found on some M4/M16 replicas. I intend to look into eliminating this wobble in the near future. luckily this loose fit is much better than the prototype which looked bent.

The gearbox is massive, It is if not the same then based on the M249 gearbox that is known for its resistance to abuse. It does have the quick change spring/ spring guide found in the M249 and M60 replicas however there is NO space in the body to use this feature, one much remove the gearbox to do so. In the competing STAR and ARES M60s there is a cavernous space for a battery behind the gearbox. There is not room for even this in the ARES, instead it is wired to the side with the intention of placing a battery into a hanging nylon pouch that also encloses a plastic powered box magazine.

11810053i.jpg

The box magazine

I have high hopes for this box magazine, The biggest problems I have had with the STAR and ARES M60E4/MK43 has been with the box magazine. The A&K box mag looks very similar to its competitors. Thankfully upon closer inspection it is not (thank lord) I have not yet disassembled it yet but some of the difference appear to be more than superficial. More on this at a later date. One thing I can mention is that the box mag does lack the mounting buttons that the ARES and STAR box mags are fitted with. It is wired into the gun with a 3 pin connector (ARES uses a 2 pin connector and the STAR used 3 AA batteries (or 4 A or a 9 volt depending on how desperate you where to get it to feed)

11810056.jpg

The feed trays are also different between the two replicas as the A&K rightfully is the earlier style. Guess I'll have to find a B3 C ration can to make a feed ramp which was a common GI field modification.

More on this replica review after I get some field time with it.

Archived